Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tips for removing wallpaper?
  • Kryton57

Plain wall paper and wallpaper on the ceiling preferably without removing the plaster.

crikey
    Free Member

Paper over it, life’s too short.

gusamc
    Free Member

I used a steamer (*don’t overuse as it can impact plaster) and that made a big difference

matthewjb
    Free Member

Steam stripper

Get one where the water is a separate base rather than the bit you hold. You arms will thank you after a few hours. Like this:

I’d hire one unless you have a massive house. The one above is £10 for a day from HSS.

Mikkel
    Free Member

or just go buy a steamer from wickes, B&Q etc for 20-25 quid, hiring is just not worth it as all you seem to get is a bigger water tank. and by the time the smaller tank is empty you want a break anyway.

the-muffin-man

I normally score the paper with the edge of the scraper then wet with a damp sponge. Just keep doing different areas so the water soaks in.

spchantler
    Free Member

pva solution brushed on seems to work well also. as above, don’t let a steamer stay in one place too long unless you want to re skim the walls

project
    Free Member

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painting+Decorating/Wallpapering/Perforator/d150/sd3252/p63466
    You need one of theses, runover wall a few times gently, then some warm water with washing up liqyuid in it and aply to wall, paper will now peel easy.

or live in a flat and let the woman above have a new washing machine and not connect the outflow to anything and then go to work, leave for a few hours and wait until neighbour comes home, and finds water pouring down walls, and wallpaper coming off quite well.

samuri
    Free Member

I normally just give it all a good wipe down with a very damp sponge and it mostly comes off nice and easy with a quick scrape.

johndoh
    Free Member

Join your local Freecycle and get/ask for one there. I got mine like that and our local group always seems to have one on offer.

Kryton57

Cheers all – especially for the wicks steamer which had been most excellent.

Not sure sure I picked the best day to do it but that’s 1/3 of two rooms done!

mightymule
    Free Member

No 1 tip – don’t use a steamer on a day like today…. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tips for removing wallpaper?’ is closed to new replies.