Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tips for removing old wallpaper
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Some of it is peeling off quite easily but leaving the backing

Is it worth hiring a steamer or just resort to elbow grease?

wwaswas

steamer.

You can buy ’em for ‘not much’ and they make the job so much easier.

the-muffin-man

I always criss-cross score the wallpaper with the side of the scraper then wet with a damp sponge then leave for a few mins – I won’t buy/hire a steamer as I’m too tight!

wwaswas

I’ve had one of these for nearly 20 years;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p14861

always does a good job.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would buy a steamer (I always end up managing to borrow one though) over criss-cross and soaking – much easier to remove & clean-up and normally less damage to the plaster under. Be careful not to leave the steamer on too long though – they can blow the plaster if you do.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

House we brought had 5 layers in the lounge, budget was tight so I started to do it myself I did less than a quarter of the room in 3 hours then borrowed a steamer and did the rest in an hour or so. I then hired another steamer so queen-ocelot could help do the other 7 rooms in the house. Most people seem to have one in their garage so asl before buying 🙂

z1ppy

Just done a load with one of those steamers, they really very good & can be had cheaper I’m sure. You can also get a tool with a small roller covered in spikes to penetrate any paint sealing the paper (a hedge hog? Really a tool not a small mammal). Though if theres no paint, the steamer should be enough on its own (with a scraper)

rj
    Free Member

B & Q do a professional scraper which is a sort of T-shaped handle with a removable blade. It’s night and day between it and a normal scraper.

And yes, get a steamer.

carlos
    Free Member

Defo hire/borrow a steamer

If your near Macc I could lend you mine if you’d like?

llamaknob
    Free Member

Peel top layer of dry were possible before wetting,soak bottom layer with water and washing up liquid(this will stop water drying out between applications of water)soak whole room go for tea while water soaks in.apply a second soak before scraping,three soaks is even better.Just remember wetter is better:)just be carfull of plug sockets etc.if your going to paint the surface and not repaper you will need to remove all the paste from the wall with suger soap as this will react with the fresh paint.(cross scoring can make the job even longer as once the paper is scored it will come off in smaller pieces)

leffeboy

spikey roller and what llamaknob said. I found a sponge with warm soapy water best 😯

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tips for removing old wallpaper’ is closed to new replies.