• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by empy.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tips for getting a 6yo to ride a bike.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My gf’s nipper is really struggling with riding a bike. She is thinking of putting stabilizers back on it but I am having none of that nonsense.

He has got a full sus Raleigh thing which weighs more than some of the downhill bikes I have ridden in the past. I am digging out my daughters old bike from the shed and trying him on that. It should be a few tons lighter and a better fit. He can ride in a straight line on the flat but put a bend in the way or a slight gradient and it all goes to t!ts. I tried the scoot thing with him last year and he just about got it but I don’t think it will do him any good this time round as he can just about balance. I say practice is all he needs.

Anything else apart from a better fitting lighter bike.?

Bunnyhop

We had a ‘tag a long’ trailgator style thing at first for my Nephew when he was 5.
    Lots of patience and just running along side the bike when he was off the trailgator.

Practise is indeed what he needs and his riding will come in time. At the moment the weather doesn’t help, as children always prefer dryer, warmer conditions. Lots of praise when things went well and humour for when things didn’t.

We used to go to a picnic area, take food and drink, then we’d ride a short distance away from this area in case he got bored or had a hissy fit. My Husband and I would take it in turns to stay with the bags.
    Eventually he was actually cycling along side us, then when things got hilly or too bendy, or he was too tired. the trailgator was at hand to hitch the bike back up to.

2 years on and he’s mtbing with us. So don’t give up!

MoreCashThanDash

Agree re the better fitting lighter bike – worked for my lad just before he turned 6.

Have you asked him what he thinks the issue is – maybe he’d prefer to go back to scooting for a bit? Maybe he’s worried about falling off – in which case some gloves or pads even?

Maybe he just isn’t interested – sad, but apparently some people aren’t keen on bikes apparently. He’ll hate you – and bikes – if you force him when he really isn’t into it

geoffj

He can ride in a straight line on the flat but put a bend in the way or a slight gradient and it all goes to t!ts.

He’s gonna be a Triathlete 😉

Seriously, a lighter bike getting some fun into it – gentle downhill grass slope to get his confidence up.

ampthill

exposure to other kids on bikes, if possible

uphillcursing
    Free Member

What ^^ said. One of mine would not entertain the thought of a bike till one of the nearby kids his age Started showing an interest. Then being the first 5YO without stabilisers became the most important thing in the world.

He begged and begged for me to take them off. I said “no, you wont even pedal 5 yards with them on”. Inevitably I gave up and within ten minutes he was off.

Just need suitable motivation.

Olly
    Free Member

gaffa tape hands to the bars, feet to the pedals, disconnect the brakes, and push down a hill, thats how they taught me.

started as i meant to go on.

ianv
    Free Member

Find a slightly downhill field, run behind holding the saddle until she sort of has the balance point, let go. Repeat.

Worked for my lad.

The point about shaming them into it by seeing others is a good one, my physios second daughter was riding at 2 and a half because her 4 yr old sister was taking the piss out of her for not being able to ride.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Olly

Loving that idea but I don’t think the gf will be as willing.

tonyg2003

Take the pedals off and get them used to skooting. When they have balance / confidence, put the pedals back on.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Just let them pick it up at their own pace. If you must try and teach them then dont let them know that you’re trying to teach them. Let them think that they’re doing something else.

ampthill

Are we saying that this child can ride the bike but not round corners

That sounds like the bike to me

I think ome kids bikes have geoetry that just doesn’t work or is very unstable

empy
    Free Member

Avoid stabilisers if you can. Get him back on the balance bike until super confident then put your running shoes on…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tips for getting a 6yo to ride a bike.’ is closed to new replies.