Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tips for beefy inner tubes to avoid punctures?
  • dudders75
    Free Member

Not sure about going tube less as it seems really tricky, but after 3 punctures today I’ve had enough!

What are the best and or thickest inner tubes or anti puncture tubes?

All hints and tips appreciate for a newbie!

Ps using nobby nic’s in 26″

br
    Free Member

You could get some DH tubes, they weigh a bit though, 300-400g…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Put more air in your tyres
    Stop being fat
    Learn how to ride properly

dudders75
    Free Member

Any brand or make?

legend
    Free Member

what sort of punctures? If it’s thorns and the like, get better tyres. If it’s pinch punctures, increase your tyre pressures

steve_b77
    Free Member

Tubeless isn’t tricky with the right gear, just do it and bask in the glory of no tubes to fall apart.

Secondly, put more air in your tyres & choose an appropriate tyre for how & where you ride, not just the lightest one you can find.

dudders75
    Free Member

Been using around 50 psi on them, in 15 stone and been riding trails for 3 months, covering 350 miles, think I know how to ride the basics bud!

Thorns I’m afraid, no pinching etc etc.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thorns I’m afraid, no pinching etc etc.

Tubeless fixes this. It’s a bit of faff the first time but a lot less than 3 flats in a day.

robsoctane
    Free Member

dudders, what tires have you got? Some are known for being flimsy. Think tought tires not tubes, IMO of course. I don’t ever have probs with my Maxxis HR’s. plenty of thorns my way. There may be even more at your end though, look for ‘protection’ casing. I think Conti do some.

Good luck mate.

dudders75
    Free Member

Robs,

Nobby Nics 26″ mate

Northwind

I’d look at tyres not tubes, but, Specialized’s 2.3 tube seems more durable than most at the weight- I’ve been running them in the downhill bike for a year now when not using tubeless, and they’ve been spot on. The way I see it is, when the big adjustable wrench has to come out after a ride to un-dent a rim, but you didn’t flat, that’s a good tube.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

50psi is massively higher than most people I know tend to use. You must lose traction running them at that. But that’s an aside issue.

Tubeless will most likely be the best way for you to go given that thorn punctures tend to seal up easily.

bagpuss
    Free Member

If you really don’t want to try tubeless and it’s just thorns not pinch punctures then try Slime tubes or similar.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tips for beefy inner tubes to avoid punctures?’ is closed to new replies.