Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Tipping the binmen
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Used to be a fairly straightforward job, but now we have four separate bins which seem to be collected by four separate lorries – and we don’t get to see the chaps involved.

What’s the correct etiquette here? I’ve consulted my copy of Debretts, but to no avail.

VanMan
    Free Member

Round our way the lorry does all the work, and the driver never leaves the cab, so maybe I should tip the lorry?

fasthaggis

Depends how good they are ? 😉

jam-bo

you put your own bins out?

ransos
    Free Member

Round our way the lorry does all the work, and the driver never leaves the cab, so maybe I should tip the lorry?

You have self-emptying bins?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Our bin men don’t give a **** where they put the bin back after emptying it, once resulting in backing it out across the road as they’d stuck it tight up to the back doors of my van. So they can I’m afraid whistle! Wheelie wash man will get one though as he’s a lovely chap!

eskay

The last time my mum tipped them (many years ago) she gave the bloke a fiver and the cheeky sod said ‘come on you lot around here can afford more than that’. That was the last one they ever had.

hora
    Free Member

You tip binmen?

Are you serious?

VanMan
    Free Member

See the image above.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

our guys are average bordering on rubbish (groan). They come around too early to see me, sometimes they do a decent job and other days I am sweeping up after they’ve been. Part of me wonders if tippoing them might improve their service when they get to my house… but I suspect its wishful thinking.

Keva
    Free Member

I thought that said Tipping binners !

anyway why, do you tip everyone? the posty, the cashier in Sainsburys, why not send the gas a board a tip too?

fasthaggis

What tips would you give binners ?

😀

core

Our binmen (at home, before I moved out) are/were very good, really polite, tidy, would take anything away. Same pair been doing our round for years.

So, we normally leave them a slab of beer out near xmas, and the old man tips them a fiver if he sees them.

the-muffin-man

Nope – we don’t tip.

martymac

my wife asked me this very question last year and i just said give the drivera fiver and **** the rest of em, she was gone for an hour and when i asked her where she had been she said there were six of em, im red raw!

chakaping
    Free Member

Congratulations tightarses.

But the question was not “yes or no?”, but “how when there’s up to four crews?”.

martymac

sorry 😳

irc

Any chance of a tip vanished when the bin men wouldn’t empty a wheelie bin which was full enough that the lid wouldn’t close completely flat.

They also scraped a parked car with their lorry (not mine luckily) and didn’t own up to it.

iolo
    Free Member

Hora + 1000.
    Do you tip the Postman, Doctor, Policeman, Streetworker, Mechanic, Oil Rig worker, etc etc etc etc etc?
    Christmas is the only time binmen speak to you.

postierich
    Free Member

Usually 4 beers in a cardboard container! On nodding terms and they take bagged up overspill:-)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’d be more interested in tipping the velvet.

rocketman
    Free Member

Tipping the binmen

😕 you have got to be kidding

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you tip the Postman,

erm, yes.

ransos
    Free Member

Hora + 1000.
    Do you tip the Postman, Doctor, Policeman, Streetworker, Mechanic, Oil Rig worker, etc etc etc etc etc?
    Christmas is the only time binmen speak to you.

Or your barber or window cleaner or waitress/ waiter?

wrecker
    Free Member

But the question was not “yes or no?”, but “how when there’s up to four crews?”.

Answer; if they do nothing outside of their job requirements, don’t bother. Tips should be for good/exceptional service.

hora
    Free Member

Utterly bizarre. My bin men turn up, take the rubbish and leave as they should. If they made a mess etc I’d probably have to complain to the council. I’m struggling with the concept of paying them extra. Do you have low-low council taxes?

As for tipping the postie? I always say hi etc (rarely see one though as most of our stuff is just junk mail delivered after the postie and most of our stuff is electronic etc nowadays.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Op the original question on how to do to tip when there are four crews for the different bins, a four pack of good beer for each, then nthey can divvy up a can each.

ransos
    Free Member

Utterly bizarre. My waiter takes my order, brings my food and takes my plate away. If he got the order wrong I’d probably have to complain. I’m struggling with the concept of paying him extra. Do you have low-low restaurant prices?

FTFY

seosamh77
    Free Member

Is this concept similar to tipping cows?

chakaping
    Free Member

Or your barber or window cleaner or waitress/ waiter?

Yes, no, yes. Not sure if you’re serious or mocking iolo though.

Have been known to tip the LBS. That’s gotta be worth a thread in itself though, eh?

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw out of curiosity, what’s a binmans wages these days?

teenrat

At my work, an envelope comes round to tip the cleaners – however, they dont clean – they dont hoover the floor, they dont wipe the desks, in fact all they do is drink tea and talk to the security guard – i’m at a loss as to what the tip is for.

What is it with xmas tipping – they get paid for the work they do and that is the reward for doing their job. I dont get a tip and i dont expect to get one

ransos
    Free Member

Yes, no, yes. Not sure if you’re serious or mocking iolo though.

Have been known to tip the LBS. That’s gotta be worth a thread in itself though, eh?

I was trying to make the point that everyone tips a waiter here. Yet in France, it’s not expected, so it’s really just about convention. Personally, I think it’s nice to recognise people who do a fairly grotty job for you, often in return for poor wages.

What is it with xmas tipping – they get paid for the work they do and that is the reward for doing their job. I dont get a tip and i dont expect to get one

Perhaps you could tell us how much you earn in relation to a cleaner?

Flaperon

If they put my bins back where they found them and not several hundred yards down the road they might get a tip…

teasel
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about a variation on Tipping The Velvet.

Bit disappointing, really…

hora
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding bar-humbug I agree. Up until recently didn’t Birmingham council binmen earn upto 35k each until the council Dinner ladies find out?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Until the feckers learn to actually empty the bin they are being paid to do, they are lucky there isn’t a weekly complaint….
    Tip? Yep – “do your job…”
    We’ve just had leaflets through stating that they now will not take extra bags (something they’ve always done but apparently causes back problems, etc because of lifting a bag above shoulder height), won’t take bins that are not ON THE KERBSIDE – they don’t put them back though, recycling has been cut to half a dozen items allowed – the rest has to go to the tip.
    Tip? f*** OFF

chakaping
    Free Member

Some of you would be better off emailing the council than sharing your tales of bin-based woe here, I suspect.

hora
    Free Member

Our 3yr old always run excitedly to the window when he sees them coming 😀

Oh if only us adults had the same levels of excitement and fun as a 3yr old 😀

teenrat

They should only get half the tip anyway now that bin collection is two weekly.

As has already been said, where does the tipping stop? Do i tip the lady in newsagents, the barman, the lollypop lady, the guy in the petrol station, the postman, the cleaners, the bus driver, the train conductor, the dog groomer? Surely if you tip one then you should tip them all by all acounts. Why does one job deserve a tip and others dont?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Tipping the binmen’ is closed to new replies.