Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Tipping at hotels
  • GrahamS

I remember going out for wife’s birthday, big group out for a meal and waiting an hour for dessert despite asking repeatedly. Obviously didn’t leave a tip

If you get really bad service then go one step further and refuse to pay at all.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I like “full service” petrol stations.

Here’s me, filling a Volvo with 4* at MY PETROL STATION in around 1980 something.

Unfortunately most people prefer cheaper fuel from supermarkets & to do it themselves.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d pay a premium for a full service petrol station, I seem to fill up at the same station as Clumsy McMoron who can’t fill up without covering all the kit with diesel.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d pay a premium for a full service petrol station,

I wish there’d been more like you when I had mine. Very few full service stations left nowadays. As I said, cheaper fuel rules (mainly)

deadkenny
    Free Member

As I always say about US, same applies here if staff depend on tips – pay your staff properly! “service charge not included”, well you are paying them to do the job of serving, so WTF else am I paying for?

Go out of their way to provide good service, sure a tip is due.

A tip just for doing the job, no. That goes for taxis as well. I’ve paid them to drive me from A to B, why the hell should they get extra unless they went above and beyond just doing that task?

In US hotels, tipping for cleaning the room, again, that’s their job and they’re paid to do it. WTF should I pay extra? Of course if you don’t they might do a shitty job or steal something.

Japan has the right idea. They consider it an insult to be offered a tip.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I had a chat with the restaurant manager who confirmed no-one’s going to mind if I ask for it to be removed. I suppose they assume most will just leave it so they’ll make more money.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I used to always tip in restaurants, mostly cos every else does.
    Nowadays I don’t bother. Minimum wage exists for a reason and I’m paying for someone else to cook the food for me and bring it to me in a nice place in the difference between how much I could buy and cook the stuff for myself, in my own house and how much the restaurant charges.

Tacking a service charge on to the bill annoys me, in the same way Ryanair or Ticketmaster annoy me by adding transaction charges on, so I don’t pay it. just build it in to the price please.

I now only tip if I get exceptionally good service, not just in restaurants but anywhere really. And I mean exceptionally in the literal sense.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Tipping at hotels’ is closed to new replies.