Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tipping
  • Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

What’s peoples views on tipping?

Yesterday we decided to go to Frankie & Bennys for their £10 for two breakfasts (Quite tasty and a bargain) When we came to pay I’d forgot my change and just had notes with me so I left £10 and no tip. I felt quite guilty for not tipping and left the restaurant quickly.

My wife always complains that I tip too much, if she had her way people would get nothing as it’s there choice to do a particular job on that wage. I know the UK doesn’t have such a tipping culture like America but I always like to leave / give something, do you people agree with tipping, like to tip or feel pressured into tipping?

bassspine
    Free Member

We were in California for a month before I found out you were supposed to tip at the bar. 😳 Did a lot of drinking, too. Never went to the same bar twice so never had to face the consequences…

In the UK I tend to 10% for ok, and more for really good, service

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont tip.

MrGreedy

This sums up most of the arguments 😉

I usually go with 10% in this country, as bassspine says, more for good service, nothing if it’s awful (Anchor Hotel Kippford, I’m looking at you).

grum
    Free Member

Aim for 10% if the service was good, but don’t lose any sleep if I don’t have any cash or don’t feel like it for some reason. 🙂

Garry_Lager

I always tip in restaurants, pretty happy with the practice. Would take awful service for me not to tip. I did a couple of years in the US so maybe got into the habit there.
    I don’t tip in the alehouse routinely. Maybe if I’m in the one place for a session but not just for someone pulling a random pint.

mrmo
    Free Member

this is something i always find odd, i have a job, if i do my job my employer pays me. i don’t expect customers to give me money, so why in the hospitality industry is there this idea of tipping?

toppers3933
    Free Member

i dont tip. no body tips me for doing my job. if you dont like the pay then get another job. or ask the owners to put up prices so you can have a pay rise.

brakes
    Free Member

tip if a tip is warranted (good service and food), or if I’m drunk
    what I hate is when places add a 10/12.5% ‘discretionary’ tip to the bill 😕

footflaps

Always tip for good service in restaurants – normally 15-20%. Don’t tip in pubs or bars.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Places I go regularly 10-20%. My favourite 25%ish. Places I’m unlikely to go again… shrapnel. Hairdressers (before I bought clippers) 100%. I never had to book…

grum
    Free Member

i don’t expect customers to give me money, so why in the hospitality industry is there this idea of tipping?

Because wages are traditionally very low in those jobs. In the US service staff can make really good money from tips, and take their jobs pretty seriously. But then their customer service standards are probably generally a lot higher.

if you dont like the pay then get another job. or ask the owners to put up prices so you can have a pay rise.

Meanwhile, back in the real world…..

toppers3933
    Free Member

wasnt suggesting it was a realistic proposal. just that i wont give a tip for doing your job.

Garry_Lager

Because wages are traditionally very low in those jobs. In the US service staff can make really good money from tips, and take their jobs pretty seriously. But then their customer service standards are probably generally a lot higher.

Aye – the whole tipping circus they have over there can get tiresome, but you cannae argue with the results. Standard of service is night and day relative to here.

Coyote
    Free Member

I was once in a place in Vancouver with my family (“Earls on Top” on Robson for those who know) and we had lunch. Reasonably OK, service nothing special compared to what we got used to. Bill came and I paid and made to leave. Can’t quite remember if it was no tip or just shrapnel. Waitress got all unecessary like! “Oh my God. Was there something wrong?” Really bizarre experience.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What I don’t like is the increasing trend for bars to give you your change in a small metal dish, which is meant to encourage tipping. Nope, all change going in me pocket, thanks. You don’t tip sales staff in shops, and bar staff are doing nothing extra.

I’ll only tip if there’s nice ‘service’, like in restaurants and that. Won’t tip if the service is crap. I have tipped in shops, if the member of staff has been particularly helpful and patient, but very, very rarely.

I tip the fellers who deliver my Chinese takeaway. More if the weather’s crap, as it’s not a pleasant job to have to do. Same with cabs; those sort of jobs are only paying as long as you’re on the move.

I never, ever got a tip as a courier. Never. City of London, all that wealth- tight as anything, those lot. The odd cup of tea now and then, but nowt else. Stingy bastids.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tipping’ is closed to new replies.