Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 398 total)
  • Tinder, my thoughts…
  • wiggles
    Free Member

I dont know… I just wanted to pretend I know 🙁

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Didn’t like back.

Might be ‘cos I’m ugly, but how did you know they liked you before you’d had the option of liking them back? Thought you’d only know when there’s a match, after you’ve liked them.

wiggles
    Free Member

If you pay $$$$ I think you can?

Im not that desperate*

*I am… I am just poor

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Poopscoop

I did subscribe for a month so perhaps that’s why I can see who “likes” me?

funkmasterp

gentically impared enough to be balding]

The phrase you are looking for is genetically superior 😉

doordonot
    Free Member

“I’m not going on any dates till I’ve lost the weight anyway.”

Why wait till you’ve lost weight? Who are you trying to impress? There may be someone on Tinder who’s the perfect match and doesn’t care what you look like. I have a mate who’s 6’ 2”, bald, physically in good shape and currently ‘dating’ a curvy lady who he initially had no interest in but now says they get on great.

“Just testing the waters at the moment.”

Do you have that luxury? If you’re on Tinder now, do you think all the potential matches are waiting till you’re ready to do it properly?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The phrase you are looking for is genetically superior

Shhhhhh. All the ponces with hair don’t realise that certain women dig the whole shaved head, beard and muscles look.

wiggles
    Free Member

Tbf my “hairstyle” is probably not much of a plus 😆

wiggles
    Free Member

Poopscoop

doordonot – Member
    “I’m not going on any dates till I’ve lost the weight anyway.”

Why wait till you’ve lost weight? Who are you trying to impress? There may be someone on Tinder who’s the perfect match and doesn’t care what you look like. I have a mate who’s 6’ 2”, bald, physically in good shape and currently ‘dating’ a curvy lady who he initially had no interest in but now says they get on great.

“Just testing the waters at the moment.”

Do you have that luxury? If you’re on Tinder now, do you think all the potential matches are waiting till you’re ready to do it properly?

As I said, there are other reasons I don’t wish to go on a date at the moment.

As for the “luxury”, and matches waiting for me?

Nah, when I want to actually go on a date there will be just as many single women out there as there is now. 🙂

Cougar

There will always be a sale on.

Poopscoop

Cougar – Moderator
    There will always be a sale on.

Very much a DFS scenario.

Might well hold out for Black Friday.

I missed a trick on that one! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A mate swears by the compliment smile or eyes (check if all pics are frowning with sunnies on) followed by want to get a drink.
    Funny conversation last week, so your not from here, no just over this week (hometown is in profile) cool what you doing when you get back?
    Leaving the country,
    Ok
    Silence…

I was just in a bored mood on the tram really

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m just very pleased that the internet wasn’t around when I was in my teens and twenties, I do think I would have got myself into all kinds of trouble..

Mister-P
    Free Member

Surely your profile describes you as “curvy” Wiggles? That’s Tinder speak for “familiar with a pie or two”.

Mister-P
    Free Member

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is my tactic and it usually works. My favourite was an opening message that said “Do you have kids and how tall are you?” I replied politely that yes, I have a daughter and that I am 5ft 10. The silence was deafening.

I once got an unsolicited message on a dating site which was basically “I have 5 mixed-race kids and don’t judge me!”. I honestly don’t know what sort of response she might have been looking for…

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, Tinder – so a while ago a friend (he’s on here!) told me I’d “kill it” on Tinder. Never occurred to me to try it (thought it was just for hook-ups with slaaags), so signed up. Got 1 date. 1 date. Ok, had about 4 or 5 matches (one “Sorry I’m moving to New Zealand tomorrow!” Yeah cheers. Some non-repliers, but mostly, blank, nothing, no matches. It’s pretty grim for the old self-esteem.
    Won’t be using it again!

wwaswas

Got 1 date. 1 date….Won’t be using it again!

I thought we’d had a lovely evening together as well 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

hmm.. I thought she was quite “boyish” 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

I love Tinder etc. It’s great that I can go to London, Berlin, or indeed Peterborough and arrange a “date”.

There does seem to be some conflict as to how the sexes see the app though. Generally speaking: men see it as a hookup app, whereas women see it more as a dating app.

In my experience, about 50% of the girls on it fall into this category and start firing off questions straight away about your job etc as they’re looking to settle down into the mortgage/marriage/kids thing. These get binned obvs…
    Then you’ve got about 40% who are usually hot but even when you match with them, it doesn’t seem to go anywhere. My theory is that these are just validation seekers. Maybe even have a boyfriend, but just like the attention/ego boost.
    The remaining 10% is the gold. The chilled out girls who are happy to meet up and have a good time without it feeling like a job interview. It’s a numbers game.

Would love to hear a female perspective on it. Anyone?

Things that make me swipe left:

A man in the main photo.
    Skydiving/tough mudder/travelling photo – No one cares.
    No body pic
    Group photo – unlikely to be the hot one, cba to find out.
    Snapchat filters. Well, they’re all at it now. So most of them.
    That stupid lopsided pose they’re all suddenly doing.

Nico
    Free Member

Generally speaking: men see it as a hookup app, whereas women see it more as a dating app.

Isn’t that true of life in general?

scotroutes

Would love to hear a female perspective on it

Search mumsnet?

DezB
    Free Member

Would love to hear a female perspective on it

This sounds like one to me! 😕

Generally speaking: men see it as a hookup app, whereas women see it more as a dating app.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Search mumsnet?

Yep. That’ll put you off dating women for life.

The foul-mouthed harridans. 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but how did you know they liked you before you’d had the option of liking them back

you pay…

I tried a month and I think it is worth it for the amusement if nothing else. On my train trip up to the lake district I collected lots of likes as the train passed through towns.

But it also means you can look through your likes and be selective and choose the most likely match, rather than swipe everybody you vaguely like just in case.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Re-reading my post up there, I sound like a bit of a tit. In mitigation – it’s not that one is only interested in sex and has no intention of developing a potential relationship. But what’s wrong with Just meeting up with a new person, having a great night and letting things lead where they may?

km79
    Free Member

But what’s wrong with Just meeting up with a new person, having a great night and letting things lead where they may?

Nothing. No need to justify it either and it’s no-one elses business.

philjunior
    Free Member

It does seem odd (and it’s the thing that’s kept me off tinder for now) that people expect to get more than a hookup from something that’s so biased towards looks. I think it says a lot about society that women looking for a relationship can’t see the problem with basing this on looks.

I’m a fussy git though, just separated and not in a huge rush to get into anything. And I can see that you might find the love of your life this way, and looks play a part, just the chances aren’t much higher than going out and trying to give out/collect phone numbers.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure you do – I’d kind of assumed what you’ve just clarified, that you aren’t in it just for a one off meetup. Even if you are after something serious, surely it’s better just to meet and see if you can have fun together (and no, I don’t mean that sort of fun) rather than do the full job interview (TBH I’d be put off by the attitude behind such an approach as much anything).

aracer
    Free Member

The big advantage surely being that you’re contacting other people who are interested in having a relationship (of some sort).

Cougar

It does seem odd (and it’s the thing that’s kept me off tinder for now) that people expect to get more than a hookup from something that’s so biased towards looks.

How is that any different to regular dating? You wouldn’t go and chat up a lass in a pub because she looked like the back end of a bus. People have been chatting up people they fancied for many, many years before Tinder existed.

DezB
    Free Member

Exactly – why all dating apps/sites have photos, multiple photos. And profiles without photos don’t get very far.

airtragic
    Free Member

Anybody else get thinly veiled solicitation from ladies of negotiable virtue? I would get a picture of an unfeasibly gorgeous girl, and a message like “one hour 100 roses, evening 300 roses”. It took me a while to figure out roses were code for £! I guess the site looks for commercial negotiations and it’s a way around it?

km79
    Free Member

Maybe they just really like roses!

leffeboy

Sorted

tomhoward

Rose/£ is a pretty bloody good exchange rate. I bought MrsTHtobe some, a dozen was getting on for £50!

jamj1974

I’m not sure you do – I’d kind of assumed what you’ve just clarified, that you aren’t in it just for a one off meetup.

But if you are up for a hook up – probably Tom B is your man. He puts out regularly on first dates.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Women on dating apps rate about 80 percent of men below average.

Make of that what you will.

If a small number of men are a lot ‘better’ than the majority, this would be perfectly reasonable.

Further, the ‘best’ specimens probably already have girlfriends, thus are less likely to be found on dating sites.

jambourgie
    Free Member

It really is ALL about the photos. You can write any old shite in your bio if your photos are good. Got a mate who’s a pro photographer? Know anyone with a cute dog? Borrow them both.

🙂

Oh, and a bit of relevant advice from my sister: don’t post a picture of you in your cycling gear. It’s not a strong look. Loads of men do this apparently 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 398 total)

The topic ‘Tinder, my thoughts…’ is closed to new replies.