Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tinbred seatpost stuck
  • JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

Hi, I had a rather stuck carbon seat post that eventually shifted out a tinbred frame (curvy top tube version) but has taken the sleeve insert with it. The post seems glued tight to the insert. If I can’t get it off the post does anyone know if I can buy a replacement sleeve anywhere and what size it should? The internal width of the frame tube seems to be 33mm. The closest I’ve found I think might do is this

USE seatpsot 27.2 up to 32.8

Any ideas?

wwaswas

Isn’t the sleeve put in during manufacture so it’s not a ‘sleeve’ in the sense that the USE one is, it’s part of the frame?

Was it bonded in?

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this.

That’s not supposed to happen. You’re now into the realms of “who can put my frame back together?”. It’s not a shim.

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

Well bugger. Yeah it was bonded. Seatpost was more bonded somehow and it came out with the post.

otsdr
    Free Member

If it was part of the frame it wouldn’t have separated in the first place. I don’t see how a shim would be different in this case; maybe if it were a carbon frame you could argue that it was structural in some way.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12743762

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

Its a titanium frame rather carbon so can’t imagine that has suffered at all. The insert looks like a shim except shims you buy tend to have a split running their full length, this has a split about half the length and is intended not to move about.

bencooper
    Free Member

I doubt you’ve done any structural damage to the frame – I’d bung a flex hone down there to clean out any remnants of glue, then bond in a new shim. Or don’t even bother bonding it, it’s only glued in for convenience anyway.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You’ll probably find the seatpost has suffered from galvanic corrosion and the end result is that inset has swelled tight against the insert, hence why the insert came out rather than the seatpost.
    You’ll probably need to destroy the seatpost to get it out of the insert.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tinbred seatpost stuck’ is closed to new replies.