Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Timetravel & logical paradoxes. Fastforward spoiler content…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Im so arse-numbingly bored today, this is the best non-trolling thread I could come up with….

I think I might have come upon a shocking plot hole in FastForward. Difficult though that is, I know.

We see people having their flashforwards, yet in those flashforwards they ought to be aware that they are approaching the time of the flashforward so ought to behave differently in expectation…in which case the behaviour of someone in the future would be affected by the fact that they had witnessed themselves in the future when in the past and round and round we go…..

I shall accept my Nobel prize for physics with good grace. Thank you.

I do like the appearance of the Evil Randy Hobbit though.

noteeth
    Free Member

I had a flashforward that the series was going to be as annoying as Lost, so I made do with Generation Kill.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dude, where's my DeLorean?

GrahamS

The main bloke investigating it is only doing so because he saw himself investigating it in his flashforward. They are investigating clues that he saw on the investigation board during his flashforward and hence those clues are ending up on the investigation board.

Perhaps he knew he was about to act out his flashforward vision and hence deliberately went to his office and stared at the board for two minutes so his past self would get those clues.

Stoner
    Free Member

he wouldnt do that pissed, and why would he want to go where there's baddies with guns?

Pffft. I think you need to think this through better Graham.

nickc

It's not really a plot hole though is it, presumably the whole point of the series is that you been given a glimpse into the future so "can" you or "will" you determine what happens or will you surrender yourself to fate…

Stoner
    Free Member

If I were dimitri I'd start booking that holiday to the Alaskan wilderness…

GrahamS

he wouldnt do that pissed, and why would he want to go where there's baddies with guns?

He might if he knows his wife's flashforward about having an affair is coming true.

Though one wonders why his wife, knowing that her flashforward moment is coming up, would allow herself to see a future affair? Unless by that point she has realised her husband has turned back to drink and is trying to show her past self her new path.

More interestingly: if everyone in the world knows they are about to act out their flashforward that their past self will see then why is no one just staring at the previous months winning lottery numbers?

Perhaps the entire world will lose its memory before the flashfoward is acted out?

vinnyeh

Agree with noteeth, I'm a bit worried FF isn't going far. Enjoying Lost again though 🙂

I think you've just about made the breakthrough Stoner – the show seems a bit of a secular look into predestination v free will.

I think if you've read the novel then the guts/gimmick of the show will be gone, and it'll just be a mediocre drama.

noteeth
    Free Member

*manages to stay off STW for exactly 137 seconds…. OMG – what happened?

miketually
    Free Member

How come none of the people in the flash forwards were saying "hey this is the bit I saw earlier in the flash forward"?

GrahamS

How come none of the people in the flash forwards were saying "hey this is the bit I saw earlier in the flash forward"?

Good point. At least 27% of the world population should be saying "Ooh déjà vu. Spooky!" in their flashforwards 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

the dejavu thing was rather my main point.

Unlike Lost, at least this thing has to END! in April.
    WIll no-one kill lost?

vinnyeh

Good point. At least 27% of the world population should be saying "Ooh déjà vu. Spooky!" in their flashforwards

Yeah, but there's at least one big assumption there..

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

It doesn't matter what you do, you can't change the future, if you know you're going to fall off a bridge, the simple reaction is to not go anywhere near bridges right? WRONG! it is because you don't go anywhere near bridges that you fall off one! It doesn't matter what you do, you ARE going to fall off a bridge.

This begs the questions, is our future already laid out before us? And who has laid it before us???

nickc

Unlike Lost, at least this thing has to END! in April.

For me, it already has, I've no room in my brain for flashforward, and Fiennes is far too grumpy…

noteeth
    Free Member

"Somewhere in the heaven / Of lost futures / The lives we might have lived / Have found their own fulfilment"

Derek Mahon said it best.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It's all to do with the Insect Overlords, just you wait & see.

Oh, and it's all true, the Mosaic website even exists

http://abc.go.com/shows/flash-forward/mosaiccollective

There are some really dull people out there….

GrahamS

That's just the way modern shows work. Viral interest.

They did the same thing with Lost: subtle references to books, websites and Google terms that all exist and contain hints.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Timetravel & logical paradoxes. Fastforward spoiler content…’ is closed to new replies.