Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Times Online
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Does anyone read the times online

Are you going to pay for content? Is there any difference to the site pre-june?

Jamie
    Free Member

Meh….just use the Guardian/BBC.

disco_stu
    Free Member

i read it for the sports – mainly the footy but won't be paying for it

cinnamon_girl

I buy The Times on both Saturdays and Sundays, occasionally mid-week.

Have looked at the new website and there's certainly a load to read but couldn't possibly do that every day. I enjoy the women's/lifestyle sections and it is useful to refer back to previous articles.

As for paying for it, hmmm not sure, but considering the cost of the paper is £1 (more at weekends) it may well be good value.

richmars

I used to read it online every day, but won't be paying £1 for on line, that's just a silly price, as there's no printing costs with the on line version.

cinnamon_girl

But there is extra content.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

whats the price ? Are you saying £1 a day ?

How can something go from being free to £1 a day ?

more like £1 a week.

tron
    Free Member

£1 a day? Most student union shops sell papers for 20-30p…

AND you can do the crossword.

cinnamon_girl

IIRC £5 per month online.

Danny79
    Free Member

Used to read is every day when it was free but never more than 5 or 6 articles in the morning. I do miss it but not enough to start paying for it, will have to switch to another news site. I also check the telegraph but thats only for Matt and Alex cartoons.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i dont read murdoch papers or access his websites and I wont be paying for this either. Like he needs the **** money.
    BBC all the way free[with licence], British and something to be proud off

corroded
    Free Member

They need to make the distinction between extra content and unique content. The FT and WSJ can do this with ease but how does a mainstream paper do it? If they went big on great photography (like the Boston Globe's Big Picture series) and commissioned more original foreign stories I might be interested.

If they're less dependent on advertising hopefully their story selection may become less governed by eyeballs; the Guardian's daily iPad piece and the celeb nonsense that gets the clicks in all the papers are killing real journalism.

richmars

£1 per day or £2 for a week.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thye're freaking menkal if they think that people will start paying for an online edition unless it offers something that you can't get from any of the other free national dailies. Otoh newspapers are facing a perfect storm of falling circulations and falling ad revenue so who's gonna pay for all the journalists doing their journalisms?

richmars

Agreed they (or the readers) need to pay for journalist but it just seems the on-line prices are all wrong. I heard they used to get about £20 million form on-line advertising a year, which was based on the number of visitors. It will be interesting to see what this goes down to.
    I also heard that while £20m isn't enough to produced a 'real' paper every day, it is if it's just on-line.

cinnamon_girl

Apologies, according to their website, the cost is £2 per week for online content.

jonb
    Free Member

Switched, Telegraph.co.uk at the minute but I'll look at others to see which I prefer.

cranberry
    Free Member

for £2 per week for all papers I might well be tempted – as an expat it would cost me the best part of £3 for a single copy of The Times and double that for the weekend editions.

pypdjl
    Free Member

free[with licence]

So not free at all then!

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is for me as I dont have a licence and you dont pay to read it so yes FREE. You dont need to have a tv to read the bbc website

SuperScale20
    Free Member

No thanks BBC far better along with other news sites like reuters and CNN.

Caher

Also being an ex-pat i subscribed rather than having to find a shop with yesterday's newspaper. But i have little time to read it.
    In the future might be more useful if you can get it on an I-Pad or something.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Like Danny79 said – Telegraph & BBC for me + Reuters/Guardian to fill a few gaps. Although sometimes the guardian's articles are a bit lacking IMO.
    Some of The Times' websites gets blocked by the firewall at work so it was only ever the front page articles I read anyway – the stuff you can get from loads of other sources.

bruk

Usually buy the paper itself and browse a little online, (wife likes to read the paper in bed). Don't think I'll be paying twice and don't fancy subscribing as don't always get it each day.

Will wait and see how it affects them.

loddrik
    Free Member

I used to read it every day, the sports in particular was the best on the web. No way will I pay though, and there is no way that the plan to charge for content which is mostly freely available elsewhere will succeed, though I guess they have to try.

I looked around and can now heartily recommend the Independents iPhone app, it really is excellent!!

cinnamon_girl

May I respectfully point out that, from a girlie perspective anyway, they have some very interesting articles that are not available on other news websites.

Of course I am rather shallow in that I enjoy their fashion, make-up, health, sex etc features. 😳

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Murdoch will get his payoff from Cameron in the closing of the BBC website and thus will hope to make money from the times

cinnamon_girl

Murdoch gets enough money from punters sucked into Sky.

epicyclo

Maybe when I get an iPad, but not interested in reading when sat at my computer.

Will miss the Sudoku though 🙂

lodious
    Free Member

I'm glad the times is pushing ahead with charging, even if its only to make AA Gill realise that people won't pay a penny for the self important waffle he writes.

donsimon
    Free Member

Why should it be free if it's on-line?
    I won't be paying for it, but then again I don't pay for the paper edition. 2 quid per week doesn't seem too bad. I think it would be more acceptable if there was an advertising laden and funded edition for free and an advert free edition under subscription.

I can remember the Guardian with its pop ups, I stopped reading it, but I might have paid for ad free content.

Rio

I get the impression that some of the "extra" stuff on line is stuff you used to get with the print versions but don't any more. So if I buy the Times on Saturday (the only day I used to buy it) it's now thinner so I've stopped buying it. I still buy the Sunday Times but if that gets much thinner as well I'll give it up and buy another paper and console myself that at least I'm paying less to Murdoch. Reading it on-line is just not the same somehow, I really don't want to sit down and eat my breakfast in front of a computer.

jon1973
    Free Member

So not free at all then!

The BBC website is free at the moment, even if you don't have a licence. But it is the licence payer who funds it.

So whether it's free depends on your perspective I guess.

Jamie
    Free Member

I wonder if The Times will start charging for podcasts as well?

bikemonkey
    Free Member

It used to be one of the websites I checked more than once a day. Seeing as there are so many other sites offering just as good for free theres no reason to pay.

clubber
    Free Member

Funny but I was talking to my Dad about this last night – he buys (bought) the Times (paper edition) every day but was now justifying his purchase of the iPad in that it'd pay for itself in a couple of years by reading it online instead of buying the paper.

Yes, he's aware that you can get free papers on line but he's been reading the Times forever so doesn't fancy changing now…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Times Online’ is closed to new replies.