Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Time vs Shimano
  • ratherbeintobago

I have reached the stage where the retention bars on my (nearly 10yo) Time ATACs are wearing out. These have been the only clipless pedals I’ve used, bar an early run on eggbeaters.

As we’re doing more family cycling, the idea of switching to Shimano appeals, so I can put a pair of the XT trekking pedals on the Hybrid of Doom.

My knees are in relatively good nick. Will I notice any difference between the two systems in the real world?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Nah.

I ride Times because I got pee’d off getting locked into SPDs in a sandy Thetford forest, their inconsistent release in East Anglian mud and pulling out of them with worn cleats. This was well over 15 years ago, and I believe SPDs are now better than they were, but I see no reason to go back.

However, I did use old SPDs on my old commuting hack with absolutely zero issues (especially as the engage/release actions are incredibly similar), so would say you should have minimal issues switching between the two. If anything I find SPDs easier to get in and out of in ‘nice’ conditions.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time – Float, better in mud, utterly bombproof construction.
    Shimano – Cheaper, cleats last longer and are easier to buy.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Time here. Reliability wins.

warpcow
    Free Member

Yes, they feel completely different. Shimano aren’t quite as easy to get into, and, ime, release unintentionally (sh51 cleats) if you’re really heaving on the bike and pedals. There’s no lateral float compared to Time and Time also feel like they have more angular float because of the increased release angles. Time are better in snow and ice too. In mud they’re about equal nowadays.

It’s not end of the world stuff though. You’d get used to most of it quickly enough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano feel way more secure.

I tried both, prefer the feel of Shimano.

With servicing they can last well (14 year old ones in continual use on my commuter) but like most things they are so cheap people view them as disposable.

IHN

As we’re doing more family cycling, the idea of switching to Shimano appeals, so I can put a pair of the XT trekking pedals on the Hybrid of Doom

Don’t get this, what is it about Shimano cleats/pedals that you think can’t be done with Times?

Anyhoo, Time here, on I think, my third ever set of cleats in *mumbles* years of cycling.

ratherbeintobago

Don’t get this, what is it about Shimano cleats/pedals that you think can’t be done with Times?

A quick look at the Time website tells me they do a pedal that does exactly what the XT trekking ones do.

Problem solved…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I disacgree with Shimano feeling more secure. Time have a greater rotation before they release, which some may like and some may not, but I have inadvertently released out of Shimano cleats when changing position on the bike, leaning to avoid branches etc. they seem to have a very narrow angle before release. Also on the spin bike I have pulled myself out of Shimano SPD’s. OK I’m generating far more power on the spin bike than I ever would on a real bike as you are able to bring your upper body into play more, but still it doesn’t add to the feeling of security.

I also find Shimano harder to get into – the design of the cleat and receiving part of the pedal requires you to be far more accurate than with Time. So all in all I’m not an SPD fan and see zero reason to change over from Time as my current Time pedals are starting to show signs of wear and tear.

IHN

A quick look at the Time website tells me they do a pedal that does exactly what the XT trekking ones do.

And what does that do that a normal pedal doesn’t? Is it about allowing a more ‘non-bikey’ style shoe?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Time here (and Mavic rebrands) Didn’t get on with SPD’s and wouldn’t bother trying again. Bought my Time ATAC Z Control 10 years ago 2nd hand and they are still going strong, I’ve had to epoxy a loose spring spindle but apart from that they live on.

Wouldn’t have anything other than Time now, sort of invested with all my bikes kitted out with Time….. though if I had the spare cash I would be tempted to go back to Speedplay Frogs…..

legend
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member

I disacgree with Shimano feeling more secure. Time have a greater rotation before they release, which some may like and some may not, but I have inadvertently released out of Shimano cleats when changing position on the bike, leaning to avoid branches etc. they seem to have a very narrow angle before release. Also on the spin bike I have pulled myself out of Shimano SPD’s. OK I’m generating far more power on the spin bike than I ever would on a real bike as you are able to bring your upper body into play more, but still it doesn’t add to the feeling of security.

I believe you’re talking about a different aspect. I used to use Times on various bikes, but after going to flats is found Times horrible to use as there was so much float that I didn’t feel connected to the bike. In terms of beign secure against popping out, I don’t think there’s much in it (maybe extra point to Shimano tightened right up)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Going against the grain, I got through Time cleats in ~8 months and pedals rarely lasted the life of the second set.

Shimano I’ve only ever totaled one pedal, and usually wear out the cleats from walking eventually (Time wore out walking too, but they were so soft I took my shoes off to walk through the office to save them!)

I also prefer the ‘directness’ of SPD’s, the lateral float and general looseness of time always felt a bit unnerving, and worn cleats would spontaneously unclip when unloaded mid bunnyhop!

New Shimano (post 2000 or so? M520 Vs M515) are better than they used to be in the mud, the ones with separate front and back ‘cleats’ rather than what looks like a miniaturized road pedal. Time on the other hand had their heyday in the late 90’s with those brightly colored carbon pedals!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Going against the grain, I got through Time cleats in ~8 months and pedals rarely lasted the life of the second set.

What the hell were you doing to them? The original MK1 Time pedals on Katie’s commuter must be 15 years old and have done 10’s of thousands of miles and are still going strong. The bushings would get a bit sloppy on the first gen of flat barred ones but all the others go on and on for us.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

And what does that do that a normal pedal doesn’t? Is it about allowing a more ‘non-bikey’ style shoe?

Cleats on one side, flat pedal on the other. Finally a Time version. Good news.

http://www.time-sport.com/pedals/city-pedal-link

scottfitz
    Free Member

I will only buy Time pedals, bombproof, great float, can uncleat before I hit the ground. I would go Crank Brothers over Shimano if Time went out of business.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What the hell were you doing to them?

Peak District. In fairness 8 months/2000miles wasn’t bad for bike parts, but on the other hand Shimano simply lasted longer.

If you take them apart the bearing in Time pedals is a tiny little cartridge bearing, in Shimano it’s a loose ball bearing with 15-20 balls in it so it’s always going to last longer. And the cleats are steel (I think?) whereas time are brass so they don’t wear.

ratherbeintobago

Cleats on one side, flat pedal on the other. Finally a Time version. Good news.

Aye, and ExtraUK apparently have them in stock. Have asked the LBS to order…

(They’re cheaper than the XT equivalent, unusually for Time)

dragon
    Free Member

I find Time more stable than SPD’s not the other way around. Only thing that annoys me about Time is some of their pedals don’t have a pedal spanner flat on the axle. 👿

I only wish Time would remake the Impact road series, bloody ace pedals for the road bike they were.

hybridbikers
    Free Member

You can use Time rather than Shimano because Time is lighter, easier to clip in & perfect float than Shimano.

poah
    Free Member

I’ve still got and use a pair of the original time atac pedals. Only bought another pair as I got a second bike. The shoe makes a difference to engagement, my northwave enduro shoes are way easier to engage than the arctic boots.

sillyoldman

Used to use Time. Originals were super durable (even if the cleats weren’t).

After they moved to the angular bars, the durability went. Bars wore out fast, as did the bearings.

Switched to Shimano (just after the massive price hike due to currency issues about 10 yrs ago?), and haven’t looked back.

Less vagueness, more solid feel, more lateral support (esp on Trail models), lower stack height, and better durability.
    Mud performance not noticeably different either (based in Glasgow, so see plenty).

spooky_b329

I’m running Time Allroad Gripper pedals on my road bike, so I can use mtb shoes or a short stint in my work boots.

I got them cheap as they were being discontinued, so good to see they have a replacement, even if its aimed at the Hybrid/MTB market.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Two pairs of 20 year old atac carbons here. Take em apart every few years, clean, replace bearings, grease and reassemble. Sorted. Alliums on the 3rd bike.
    Can’t recommend them highly enough.

MrPottatoHead

Up until this morning I’d been using Time for about 10 years with no real issues, but I needed some new pedals for 2 bikes and Shimano pricing with discounts was too good to ignore. I have to say the Shimano’s have felt easier to engage and much more float than I remember previously.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Wouldn’t touch Time after I saw my mate snap the flimsy looking silver bit whilst sprinting. No thanks.

spooky_b329

Fourbanger, I admire your safety conscious approach, but writing off a whole brand based on a failure of one component on one model of pedal?

When you say the flimsy bit of metal, do you mean the chunky pair of sprung steel bars? I’d hazard a guess that they are a rare failure point and due to excessive wear or damage…

mmannerr

Bought pair of Times last year due all the praise on them after nearly two decades on Shimano. Either XC4s are inferior to old models or something strange is going on – I have had several spills due pedals not releasing and entry is very clumsy too. Cleats in easy open position, other shoes have easy release cleats and shoes are already trimmed in the cleat opening.

Latest Shimanos have been pretty good but quality has been bit inconsistent as one or have developed bad bearings within a year. These have models just under XTs with or without cage.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of ATAC XS Carbons on my road bike that rarely gets ridden, that I’d love to try on the Wazoo, just need to see if my LBS can do some magic in getting them off the Felt’s cranks safely (they will not budge for me)!

Since buying my pair ~10 years ago, I get the impression that the QC on Time ATACs has got worse.

Kamakazie

Be interested in feedback on those Time Link’s if you end up getting them ratherbeintobago.

Could suit my CX bike now I use it to get to work.

ratherbeintobago

They’re ordered. I’ll report back when I’ve got them.

ratherbeintobago

Well, I’ve got the, and they’re on the bike. Haven’t had a chance to ride them yet…

hambl90
    Free Member

Long term time user here , won’t touch shimano pedals again after they refused to let my feet go in a crash resulting in an ankle broken in two places.

soulwood
    Free Member

I have used Time for over 15 yrs and have loved them. However the last 18 mths have seen me go through two pairs, all retention bars snapping. Coupled with not finding any stock to replace them with and the perpetual pain in the arse to source replacement cleats I jumped ship to shimano. Initially with cheap pdm 520, which have rubbish bearings, and now xt trail pedals. I really like them and don’t miss the time pedals at all.

greentricky
    Free Member

Not overly relevant but I have just ordered some Speedplays to try and save my knees, Frogs look like they are being phased out less places stocking them now

Kamakazie

Nice one rbit.
    Please update when you’ve had Free rides, mainly interested in how much harder it is to find the clip side and then how easy it is to pedal in something like work shoes.

BigJohn

I had Time Atacs for nearly 20 years. Then I borrowed a mate’s bike with Shimano for a couple of weeks and honestly couldn’t tell the difference.

I now use Shimano for mountain bike (and road bike in the winter).

The 2 significant advantages are:

Time cleats are a bugger to unclip when new. A couple of lie-downs always occur.

You can hop on a mate’s bike for a spin if you have Shimano. As nobody else seems to use Time these days.

seadog101

Used both, difficult to say which is better. Both very good for different reasons.

pedlad

I’ve been on time for donkey’s years but the not able to have a spin on a mates new shiny bike is bugging me a bit.

Those Time Links do look like the solution to my problem in riding Mrs Ps bike as my hardtail option – she gets very miffed if I swap and leave the time pedals on so I ride flats but dislike them.

Would the Link pedals stand up to a 90kg bod (me not Mrs P ;->) mountain biking on them regularly?

If not I may switch to shimano – whats their half clipped half flatty equivalent?

wynne
    Free Member

Started off with the very first Shimano spds then moved to crank bros, then after a few of them failing went back to spds. After getting some knee pain with spds on my winter road bike I bought some atacs – just couldn’t get on with them at all. The engagement felt really wishy washy. Strange as I ride speedplays on my summer road bike and loved crank bros (apart from them falling apart), so no stranger to floaty pedals. My wife swears by time and rides them on all her bikes. For some reason they’re just not for me.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Loved time. My first set lasted 5 years of full-time bike-messenger work but I think the materials have changed since then.

I kept snapping the springs on them so I moved back to shimano as I don’t want to be buying a new set of pedals every 6 months.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Time vs Shimano’ is closed to new replies.