Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Time Trials – advice please
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Been using the PowerCal for a couple of weeks now. I’ve got the Garmin to give me 30 second averages from it. Going by PE (I’ve done a lot of riding with a PM so have a good idea of watts for a given PE) I reckon it’s reading a little low (maybe 10-20 watts) but it’s not bad at all on a training rides, seems to track efforts reasonably well, and gives a good approximation of NP and TSS. I’ve not ridden on the road with it and a PM to compare data though. Happy with it so far for a relatively inexpensive purchase.

TiRed

Which sums up my experience. I’ve bought an extra one to pass around the club, just to give a flavour of power measurement.

Neat.

It is, isn’t it. I did some regressions of HR and delta HR/delta TIME to try and reverse engineer their algorithm. I also added speed as an additional covariate to try and improve accuracy. Garmin could easily license the algorithm.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I also added speed as an additional covariate to try and improve accuracy. Garmin could easily license the algorithm.

Get in touch with them 🙂 I think if you included rates of change of speed and possibly cadence then you could get a better approximation (even altitude if the barometer is good enough.) They may not be so keen though seeing as it’s not one of their products.

Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Time Trials – advice please’ is closed to new replies.