Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Time trialling on the A50 dual carriageway this afternoon
  • MoreCashThanDash

And a lot of them were doing it, steady stream both sides of the road from the Blyth Bridge roundabout right out to Hilton.

And I was astonished how good the vehicles were being around them – pulling out into the outside line in plenty of time, letting other slower vehicles pull out to get past them, being really careful around them on the roundabouts.

It was really refreshing to see, I saw only one car a bit too close in that 20 mile stretch.

I’d still not do it myself, either time trialling or on a dual carriageway, though I know many who do feel it is safer than other types of roads.

Just thought it was worth posting some positive driving feedback.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

They do it most weeks during the summer, cars always give them a wide birth.

matt_outandabout

Good to hear – like you I don’t get it. A couple of summers ago it was terryfying seeing them on the A14, or more accurately, how drivers were not giving way….

MoreCashThanDash

I saw them on the A50 last year, and part of the reason for my post was how much better the driving was this year.

A school friend was killed time trialling on a dual carriageway about 25 years ago, and a cyclist from our village was killed trialling on the A50 a few years back. I’d never do it myself, but recall seeing time trials on the A1 as a kid.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Ah bless. At least it keeps ’em off the trails.

MoreCashThanDash

scotroutes

In one way, I can see that a dual carriageway might make it a little safer. There’s a single carriageway section of the A9 north of Dingwall that gets used and that causes all sorts of ructions.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dual carriageways generally make for fast courses and will always be popular.

I’ve done a couple this year and drivers are generally pretty courteous as they have plenty of room to pull out and pass. Most dangerous bits seem to be the slip roads. I’ve had some much closer passes on quiet B road courses into oncoming traffic.

cynic-al
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    And I was astonished how good the vehicles were being around them – pulling out into the outside line in plenty of time, letting other slower vehicles pull out to get past them

I guess they know the drafting rules?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Time trialling on the A50 dual carriageway this afternoon’ is closed to new replies.