Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Time Travel: Stuck BB fixed Cup
  • boblo
    Free Member

One for the, errrm, longer of tooth I think. Stripping an old friend to update to HT2 and I can’t budge the fixed cup.

I’ve tried a bloody big 36mm spanner – no luck. I’ve tried biffing/bashing/swearing – no luck. I’ve tried ‘modifying’ to 35mm and using a monster adjustable/hammer combo – no luck and I’ve tried to chop the b’stard out with a dremmel – no luck.

I haven’t tried patience/plus gas and/or heat as these require time and, errr more patience. I also haven’t tried welding a big nut to it as I don’t have a welder and only have medium sized peanuts left. All the brazils have been eaten 🙂

Go on then, advise away (please).

neilm
    Free Member

Not tried clamping the cup in an engineers vice and rotating the frame then.

Sorry if this is a step too far, but you have remembered that it’s a left hand thread.

boblo
    Free Member

Aaah, that last point may be very apposite….

scaredypants

😳 😀

(To be clear, it depends where your fixed cup is as either side is possible, I think: If english BB, left side is normally threaded while right (ie driveside) is left hand thread)

JoeG
    Free Member

Per Sheldon Brown, use a big ass bolt!

boblo
    Free Member

Yes. Being a less than clever twit, I looked that tip up after all the other shenanigans above.

Bolleaux to it, the LBS now has custody of said relic and will have the pleasure of taking the pi… Errrm, mick when I go back to pick it up. Ah well, I’ll remember next time.

Thanks all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Time Travel: Stuck BB fixed Cup’ is closed to new replies.