• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Time to winterise the bike
  • heuer27
    Free Member

Just back from my usual hour and a half route. Well that was much more exciting than usual. My ardent tyres gave up the ghost very early on leaving me in the bushes twice. It’s time to dig out the minions.

james
    Free Member

I thought minions were a dry DH tyre? Given the largish (for a knobbly) surface area of the knobbles and fairly close tread spacing (for a knobbly)
    High Rollers being the indermediate tyre, and Swampthings/Wet Screams being the wet (DH) tyre?

bigG
    Free Member

“winterise” the bike in my household means ride the same tyres as the rest of the year + a slightly larger dose of MTFU.

Honestly, what a fuss and nonsense over a little weather

heuer27
    Free Member

Checked the maxxis website and they describe it as their muddy conditions all mountain tyre. No matter they work for me where I ride. To each their own.

heuer27
    Free Member

The mud up here is already about four inches deep of sticky clag. If you can ride in that with summer tyres then hats off to you sir. I don’t ride trail centres and canal paths so you need different tyres for different times of the year. Although to be fair summer in Scotland was two days last week.

RealMan
    Free Member

Winterising my bike meant I changed from 2.4 rubber queens to 2.2 rubber queens.

merlinshearer
    Free Member

winterising means putting the HT away and getting the single speed out – including the Panaracer Trailrakers 🙂 Yes differant tyres for differant seasons / terrains !

mrmo
    Free Member

mud? rode up a climb that in a normal summer would be a bog and it was parched, never seen it this dry in years.

the fact that i have put some mud x’s on isn’t as bad as it could be as they dig through the dust!!!!

Duggan

The rain was relentless in Hayfield today, I feel like my actual soul is sodden. One massive grey, wet blanket everywhere 😕

Finished my rear pads off halfway round with no spares so spent the rest of the day with only a front brake for descents. Then swapped a tube in the rain only for the new one to instantly deflate 20 yards down the road ffs. Swapped this (last one) and then lost that little nut/screw thing off the Quick Release 😯 Cue 30mins of pawing at the mud and grass to find the fecker.

Still, better than watching TV I suppose.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes winterise means ride the SS as I keep the mudguards on the road bike all year round

shortcut

Nice and dry out today. The ss is waiting though!

WorsthorneWarrior
    Free Member

Winterise for me meand dig out the waterproofs & Overshoes!

allthepies
    Free Member

Winterise means putting the rear crud guard back on 🙂

Northwind

Mmm, mudguard time. All my bikes already have sensible all-season rubber on owing to the absence of a summer.

angryratio
    Free Member

Well it took approximate 20 mins for my genitals to come back out of my chest cavity after the ride home from work tonight.

It’s bloomin pee’d down and i’ve discovered my v brakes work like KERS in the wet.
    I appear to speed up.

elaineanne
    Free Member

well its all peaty muddy in singletrack land and theres plenty of excess water around too…i was out yesterday for 4 hours hopping from one valley to the next… very wet under wheels

crazy-legs

The rain was relentless in Hayfield today, I feel like my actual soul is sodden. One massive grey, wet blanket everywhere

I was supposed to be going out today from Hayfield over to Edale but even walking to the LBS this monring was bad enough. I bailed. 😳

banks
    Free Member

I’ve bailed too 3 days of endless rain, a day in the shed it looks like

Euro
    Free Member

Winterise for me is thicker gloves. High rollers all year round on both bikes. The ‘dry’ season usually renders the rears baldy so I might get a new tyre for each bike, stick them on the front and stick the part worn fronts on the back.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Time to winterise the bike’ is closed to new replies.