Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Time to stop and think…
  • rockitman

Other half was made redundant a few weeks ago, I’ve been mega busy, working away and I got ill last Thursday. Having been away for a week, I just wanted to be home so drove through the night to get home at 8am on Friday. We’ve then spent the next 5 days together in the flat. It’s been ace. This is the longest time we’ve managed to get together all year and it’s taken her losing her job and me being ill.

Has actually made me stop and have a think about things. We get married next week and we wouldn’t be doing that if we didn’t have decent jobs but I’m having one of those days where you wonder if it’s really worth it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Confused about love or work?
    Love is worth it
    Work is not but you generally have to

jam-bo

we wouldn’t be doing that if we didn’t have decent jobs

spending a fortune on a ‘perfect day’ then?

easy to get trapped in the cycle of needing more money to pay for things you don’t really need…

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

if you ask me it comes down to whether being married to your OH matters to you – take the wedding shebang out of the occasion, you can still get married but without spending all the money, if the being married in itself is what matters.

Would have thought that next week would make it a bit late to change arrangements though!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I far prefer to work to live not live to work. You will not dies thinking – I wish I worked more but you might well think I wish I had played more

rockitman

Nah Jam bo, the wedding’s costing about £8k all in (including honeymoon trip to Fort William to watch the World Cup;), which I don’t think is too extravagant. Comment wasn’t really based around the wedding just how you (ok, we) get sucked into working, bigger house, new bikes etc.

Since writing the original post I’ve spent the morning planning my summer of riding. I’ve been on a DH ban for the past month to minimise the chances of me being in a cast at the wedding and I can’t wait to get out there again. Job provides me with enough cash to do that most weekends and travel the UK on uplifts etc.

Would be nice to have a bit more time to do stuff though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont worry you wil have kids together and you wont be worrying about time or riding 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

All you need is love…the bloke who’s face is on my T-shirt that I’m wearing currently said so.

peterfile
    Free Member

My mum stresses about money because she doesn’t earn very much.

I rarely stress about money because I earn enough, but as a result of that I have a fairly stressful worklife.

Which is better?

(Ideal scenario seems to be having an ok paid, low stress job with low outgoings and no aspirations to progress in employment or spend more money. Good luck with that one!)

rockitman

Junkyard, I certainly hope we do…

Peterfile, yep, that’s kinda what I was getting at. I have an interesting job which requires a lot of hours (events). I’m really good at it so it’s enjoyable most of the time but we’ve been crazy busy since October and I’m tired of working weekends. Should calm down a bit now though so I’ll stop moaning 🙂

footflaps

(Ideal scenario seems to be having an ok paid, low stress job with low outgoings and no aspirations to progress in employment or spend more money. Good luck with that one!)

That just about sums me up 🙂

mogrim

You will not dies thinking – I wish I worked more but you might well think I wish I had played more

Heard that sentiment more than once, and it still strikes me as crap – I bet there’re plenty of people who get to old age and wish they’d made a bit more of life, instead of farting around doing nothing.

Still, balance in everything – if you’re not seeing anything of each other, on a regular basis, you’ve gone too far in the work direction. Though it’s not the ideal moment to be looking for work, perhaps it is a good moment to think about it, brush up your skills, cv, etc…

higgo
    Free Member

You can love your job as much as you like but it will never love you back.

brakes
    Free Member

my work gives me hugs, and I stroke its hair.
    life likes to kick me in the balls, and run away.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I agree with TJ. There I said it. I agree with him. Just this once mind.

But yes it often takes these things to bring in to stark contrast what means most to you. I lost both parents in the last 3 years (which coincided with become a dad to two girls).

I would be happy to pay off my (now) small mortgage and live a simple life enjoying my time with my daughters – certainly until they go to school anyway.

footflaps

+1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Amen to that.

Possibly the best quote I’ve ever seen on STW

Rorschach
    Free Member

I spend a lot of time stopped.
    Not so much time thinking.
    Balance is important.

Why will my job never love my back?

woody2000

Ideal scenario seems to be having an ok paid, low stress job with low outgoings and no aspirations to progress in employment or spend more money.

Like footflaps, that sums me up quite well actually. 4 days a week, low stress and a reasonable salary. I don’t spend much, so happy days 🙂

rockitman

It might not love you back but it can give you an incredible buzz. In the last 2 weeks I’ve produced some massive events… I might have had a hand in this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9269542/Police-Federation-humiliates-Theresa-May-by-forcing-her-to-make-speech-in-front-of-criminal-banner.html

I wish I’d had more of a hand in this 😉

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2146051/Kim-Kardashian-goes-ultra-glam-tight-demure-dress-drags-beau-Kanye-Awards-ceremony-London-skips-red-carpet.html

There was a march through central London attended by 35,000 coppers that I was also involved with.

Apart from the second one (I was ill) the others gave me a massive buzz.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sounds like me. OK not low paid but neither of us get anywhere near troubling a higher tax bracket. Both of us work well within our abilities and in lower pressure jobs than we have had.

rockitman

I guess that’s part of the connundrum though… I can’t have my job and work a 40 hour week, it’s just not feasible.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothin on earth would make me work those hours you do. Nothing. I want a life.

rockitman

Fair play Jeremy, I won’t be doing this forever and I’m in a position whereby I can kind of choose the projects I work on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ain’t ever going to be in any way rich tho.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Time to stop and think…’ is closed to new replies.