Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Time to "short" go pro?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok, I generally hate speculation on news threads especially in relation to accidents but couldn’t help catching this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

Investigators are exploring the theory that Michael Schumacher’s helmet camera could have caused the helmet to shatter, leading to serious head injuries

I know it’s only exploring, but it still seems an odd accident.

Does a camera on your bonce matter?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Aren’t the mounts just stuck on with a sticky pad and should just tear off if you landed on it?

shermer75
    Free Member

The article says that the camera was undamaged, which suggests that it wasn’t inbetween the rock and the helmet during the impact

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not reporting any actual evidence or results of testing but a theory. In terms of skiing there are multiple other objects that can become a solid object between the lid and ground (poles, ski, other rocks). Wait until something actually gets proved. Your post reads more like your not a fan of people filming themselves more than anything.

On another point what exactly does

Time to “short” go pro?

Mean

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am just intrigued. I have skied that section loads of times, so makes me shudder to think about it. Plus can’t imagine how a camera would make a difference. Interested to know what they are analysisng that’s all.

scotroutes

If only TJ was here he’d have all of the links to articles on rotational injuries but it should be pretty obvious that having something sticking out of your helmet could massively increase the amount of rotation (and hence g-force) applied to the brain if it catches on something. Having said that, I don’t know how much force it would take to rip off a sticky mount – let alone a strap-on type.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One could posit the idea that a camera designed to be impact proof attached to a helmet designed to absorb impact are two different things doing very different things. The camera ‘could’ have put undue forces on the helmet.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Hmmm, food for thought indeed Captain. In a similar vein it does make you question the wisdom of attaching a machined aluminium lump in the form of a light unit to your crash helmet.

GeForceJunky

This is partly why helmet cameras are banned from British 4X racing, it’s silly to put a fairly solid lump on a helmet that could add a weak point.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

On another point what exactly does

Time to “short” go pro?

Mean

Means he thinks that if the camera is found to be at fault then GoPro’s share price would fall, making them a good investment if you were to ‘short sell’ the stock.

Personally, I can’t see how it would of made a lot of difference. The camera wouldn’t be as hard as a rock, and although fairly robust I can’t imagine it would cause the severity of injury in this case.

Speeder

Would the sticky pad potentially em-brittle the material of the helmet if they were incomparable? I know there used to be warnings about not putting stickers on helmets when I were a kid but I expect that’s a different material.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The protection of bike helmets is from EPS, under the skin. Ski helmets have EPS too, but under a thicker shell.

kimbers

seems UVEX were quick to point out that the camera may be a problem with helmets

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-schumacher-39-s-head-cam-39-093020434–f1.html

ive gone OTB and landed on the top of my head spliingt my helmet twice before

chestmounts any safer?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Time to "short" go pro?’ is closed to new replies.