Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Time to replace the Samsung S3 – what next?
  • singletracksurfer

Had enough of its slowness now it’s a bit old.

Could just get another S… but was wondering what other good ones are around – preferably something with a battery which will actually last a day when being used. Sure I heard something like an Xperia which was semi-dust and water proof and had a big battery.

Thanks.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’ve just got myself (and the boy) an Xperia Z1 compact. The Z3 compact just seemed a bit big, and the full sized ones waaaay too big.

So far, I’m pretty impressed. Pretty fast and battery life seems good. I’m coming from Windows phones and Blackberries, so this is my first Android phone. I’m resisting the temptation to run it under the tap “just to see” if it’s waterproof. If you don’t want to open the covers to charge it, you can buy a dock, which connects to pins on the side. Well worth it in my opinion. Popped a 64GB card in the side, so should have enough memory for a while…

Camera seems OK as well
    Piccie

Wife has an Xperia M2, which is bigger and seems very nice for a budget phone. Not water resistant though.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve just jumped from Samsung to a one plus one, and am very impressed with it. Way quicker than my S4, No bloat ware and will last me 2 days on one charge, cheap too.

It’s sim free so you just get a sim only rolling contract to suit your needs

https://oneplus.net/uk/one

dragon
    Free Member

I’m about to swap from an old Samsung Galaxy 2, and my thoughts are either a Sony Z3, Z3 compact, or a Nokia 835 or 930.

fionap

I’m in the same situation – my S3 doesn’t last a full day anymore (on its second battery) and crashes all the time for no good reason. It was slow but I deleted all the crap that had built up on it (messages and photos mostly) and that made a huge difference. Running on a sim-only contract while I decide what to do.

Looked at the S5 now which is cheap (21.99 at carphone w) but I’ve been warned off it by EE shop staff. Z3 / Z3 compact looked like the best solution for decent battery etc but now I’m considering the oneplusone. It’d certainly be cheaper in the long run.

singletracksurfer

Ah yes the Z1, thanks, it does look good.

However I hadn’t heard of the one plus at all and it looks like it could be just the ticket, thanks very much I’ll go read up on that.

Cheers.

freeagent
    Free Member

Have just read up on the OnePlus One, and I think I might order one to replace my aging S3…

birky
    Free Member

My contract is up in june. Phone is working fine apart from the battery. Just going to get another battery (Duracell do replacements) and go sim only.

spooky_b329

I thought the Z1 and Z3 compacts were the same size, but Z3 had marginally better spec, and squeezed a larger screen in. (without increasing the size)

The OnePlus is significantly bigger. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Nexus-4_id7531/size#/phones/Google-Nexus-4_id7531/size/OnePlus-One/phones/8603

Confirmed, Z1 and Z3 compacts are same size, but Z3 has larger screen.
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Nexus-4_id7531/size#/phones/Google-Nexus-4_id7531/size/Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact,Sony-Xperia-Z1-Compact/phones/8744,8283

maccyb
    Free Member

Been hanging on to my now somewhat elderly S2 which was due an upgrade last year before I went travelling, and don’t currently have an income to splash out on anything fancy, so watching this thread with interest…

sobriety
    Free Member

I wiped Samsungs version of Android off of my S3, and put on Cyanogen Mod11/12 (Whichever one is Lollipop).

It’s vastly improved the battery life and is fast and smooth again, I’m hoping to get another year or two out of it…

EDIT: But that’s probably not what you want to hear if you’re after a new shiney.

singletracksurfer

Wouldn’t mind but I’m not sure I have the technical ability to wipe and reload. Wipe yes, reload no. Might try it after I have a replacement ready (defeats the purpose I know, but it could be my back up then).

Are there any recommended accessories I should get for the One+ if I buy from the linky? such as data cable as it doesn’t come with one, screen protector, etc.

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Time to replace the Samsung S3 – what next?’ is closed to new replies.