Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • time to replace my summer rear minion semi slick.. but to what
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i’ve got a maxxis minion S/S 27.5×2.3 and a high roller 2 upfront on my spectral,

after a few wet rides and a slippy backend i think i need a new rear tyre.
    i’ve used an advantage/highroller combo before which seemed to work but no 27.5 version

therefore is the minion dhr the best option, what about the ardent.

i need tubeless ready, preferably maxxis to match the front, either 2.25-2.3,

whats the difference between 3c and dual 60tpi apart from £8 on crc

ideally i want a longer lasting tyre, i ride bridleway/sandstone grit/dark peak/ hebden bridge, muddy woodland/farm track trails and bit of road etc.

carlos
    Free Member

Maxxis Agressor? Comes in 2.3 DD, EXO and so far I’m loving it on the rear. Ride manly in The Peak, The Lakes and all over Wales. Just come back from a week in Spain and it’s been faultless. Can’t see me taking it off until it’s knackered.

Carlos

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bigger ardent is my choice as it has a decent tread (the 2 sizes are different) but fast rolling. Not going to be blinding in the mud but depends what you ride. Found it excellent on rock etc. and did a good 10 days in the black mud in Roto last winter

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks guys I’ll check them out

SirHC

For me the ardent lacked in grip despite its significant knobbles and rolled no faster than a Minion/Highroller (which both had more grip).

Northwind

Ardent is slower than a Minion SS and overall less grippy (a little more straight line grip on hard surfaces though). Basically if the SS can get its side knobs into the ground it wins. If I can just take an obnoxious exaggerated black-and-white internet pose for a moment, I reckon they’re obsolete now, no reason to ever use one over a SS unless you do nothing but straight lines on fireroads and trailcentres.

Minion dhr2 dual, is what I’d use if I was you. Thought the sidewalls aren’t the toughest, they’re a great mix of speed and grip, and when they slide they slide well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘time to replace my summer rear minion semi slick.. but to what’ is closed to new replies.