Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Time to protest TV Licence fee?
  • jonahtonto
    Free Member

i have paid the liscence in the past. for years and years.

seriously though, how come iplayer only holds content for 7 days? 4od et el hold stuff more or less indefinitely. the entire grand designs back catalogue is there for instance, but i cant watch series 1 of Luther (the last thing i watched before i stopped the tele and licence)

edit; im just picking holes in it now, ignore me. i have always just disliked the ‘unique way its funded’

jonahtonto
    Free Member

and another thing, how come you get more of a discount for watching in black and white than you do if you’re blind? that has always struck me as weird

seavers
    Free Member

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’d like to see anyone on this thread who thinks the Beeb is poor value for money:
    -take the remit given
    -charge LESS than £145 per year
    -and DELIVER THE SERVICES WITHOUT THE INTRUSION OF ADVERTS!

If you think you can do it, there’s a DG post awaiting you.

Honestly <tsk>

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I don’t watch any telly, or listen to any BBC radio. So stop paying it, why does it matter? Your life won’t stop, listen to some other crap on the radio, and there is a stream of boring programs to watch…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only way to appreciate the BBC is to see what the rest of the world delivers.
    Non commercial TV means you can make programmes that everyone won’t like, you can cater for minorities and you can deliver high quality stuff.
    I can’t remember when I last watered ITV when I was in the UK, on the occasions I watched Sky in hotels the amount of interruption was intolerable considering you already paid for the service.

BBC News continues to be one of the best news services in the world, with balance and perspective. It’s just unfortunate that things need to be dumbed down for the short attention span bottom feeders out there.

konabunny
    Free Member

The only TV programme I like on BBC is Top Gear and we only get 12 episodes a year, if that. The rest is moronic drivil IMO. The only stuff we really watch is Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and 24.

All of the programmes you named are pure moronic drivel for brain dead morons. Not opinion, FACT.

totalshell

as my sky subscription has just increased by 8% £145 a yer sound like good value..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Has the adverts gone up on sky by 8% too? Must be near to 50/50 content vs adverts – more if you include sky news

JoeG
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that the TV tax was one of the reasons that us Americans declared our independence on July 4, 1776! 😉

Lots of fireworks went off this evening to celebrate. 😀

BillMC

I don’t pay it because I haven’t got a telly. I can’t stand e.g. Top Gear. However if you live in Australia or America your brain is completely atrophied by commercial telly and radio and you would happily pay double the license fee. I used to stand and salute when I picked up the BBC World Service on my short wave radio.

hora
    Free Member

JoeG good job its just fireworks. Put guns in your hands and it’d be carnage.

vorlich
    Free Member

After Rolf was found guilty I demanded Glens, Hutcheson, Robertson and/or Stepek come round and uplift my telly. I simply refuse to fund such filth.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I never watch BBC.

Until the World Cup footy.

Rather have a choice of subscribing than
    watching crap like Eastenders.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Other high quality programming available…

Drac

I’d rather they didn’t show football and left that to dedicated channels. But they do so I watch something or do something else.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Lived overseas for a few years without access to BBC. There were two things I missed badly while away – pubs and the BBC. Best value money I spend all year and always have a small smile to myself when I pay it. I can’t envisage many people opting to ditch it if they have had a decent exposure to not having it (and that’s from someone who maybe watches an hour of TV a week). As people have said – Radio 4, 6 Music, BBC4, Glastonbury coverage last weekend, etc. etc. etc. Happy to subsidise Casualty etc. in return for having alternative to commercial pap.

ps44
    Free Member

But if it’s as good as the enthusiasts here claim, it will have no problem funding itself via a subscription model.

jota180
    Free Member

Watching a documentary on commercial TV is often frustrating

0 – 3 minutes: they’ll preview what they’re going to show you.
    3 – 10 minutes: they’ll show some content
    10 – 11 minutes: they’ll tell you what they’ll show you after the break
    11 – 16 Ad break
    16 – 18 minutes: summary of what you’ve just seen followed by a preview of what’s to come.

Etc. etc.

In a 1 hour slot, you’d be lucky to see 20 minutes of content

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ps44 – Member
    But if it’s as good as the enthusiasts here claim, it will have no problem funding itself via a subscription model.

Smacks head against wall….
    The reason it works it that it does not need to conform to the pressures of commercial TV where play it safe shows make it (whats that another Ant & Dec reality show or singing talent show) If you want more of the same controlled by advertisers and some fairly opinionated proprietors (linked very closely to that recent phone hacking convictions) who use their media to influence the public to agree with them then got for the sub model.

Failing that a national impartial broadcaster that provides high quality output that is revered the world over funded via taxation is my preferred route. In the end scrap the TV license and add it to income tax.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

The only TV programme I like on BBC is Top Gear and we only get 12 episodes a year, if that. The rest is moronic drivil IMO. The only stuff we really watch is Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and 24. All of which are on commercial TV

Really?
    Oh dear………….

RustySpanner

jonah tonto – Member

hold on. according to the people i would have to pay ie the bbc. i dont have to pay to use iplayer, so why the **** should i pay a whole fee or stop using it?

Legally, you’re fine.

Morally, you’re a thieving parasite.
    HTH.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Morally, you’re a thieving parasite.

i think that is a bit harsh tbh

especially since i was saying i would like to be able to pay as and when i use iplayer!
    FYI i just checked my history and haven’t used it in the last three months at all since there was nothing on i wanted to watch. i have however re-watched Luther on the box set i had to buy even though i had a licence when this series was made so i have, in effect had to pay for it twice.
    oh…..and then there is the £597.3 million that came out of general taxation …..

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambourgie – Member
    Never paid it. Never will.

yip

RustySpanner

jonah tonto – Member

i think that is a bit harsh tbh

Fair enough, just my opinion.

i have however re-watched Luther on the box set i had to buy even though i had a licence when this series was made so i have, in effect had to pay for it twice.

No, you haven’t.
    You chose to buy the box set, nobody made you buy it.

The license fee enabled you to watch it when it was broadcast.
    You bought the box set so you could watch it again, when you wanted to.

Justify it however you want. 🙂

CountZero

Is there someone in the room threatening to hit you if you don’t watch it?
    Thought not.
    How many excellent programmes made for US TV have been canned because they didn’t get the viewing figures to satisfy the station advertisers?
    Commercial interests win over quality programmes every time.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Watching ITV’s effort of broadcasting Le Tour at the moment and the number of breaks for adverts I would gladly pay a fee to ITV if they stopped showing adverts!

6079smithw
    Free Member

Yeah, everyone should stop paying for a TV licence. Why fund a paedophile ring disguised as a broadcasting corporation?

senorj

I think the BBC is one of the things this country should be proud of.
    I would pay double .
    6music
    Radio 4
    BBC 4
    5 live
    Radio 1
    Test match bloody special!

johndoh
    Free Member

I have never even thought about it. I am sure there are more worthy things to wet my pants over .

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s alright. You know, apart from the massively tory aligned agenda, active participation in obtuse blanketing of the public opposition to privatisation of the NHS, promotion of extremist political parties with nefarious agendas and tacit acknowledgement with no condemnation of a series of vile and corrupt high profile individuals.

Apart from that it’s brilliant.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You know, apart from the massively tory aligned agenda

Where as a bunch of people reckon it’s full of lefties…

samuri
    Free Member

The biggest trick the bbc ever pulled was convincing people they were full of lefties. 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Time to protest TV Licence fee?’ is closed to new replies.