Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Time to go tubeless. What to buy?
  • leonthepro
    Free Member

I am thinking of going purchasing some 26″ tubeless rims and hubs but not sure what to go for.

Any recommendations please?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Contact these guys superb advice and service

Just Riding Along wheels – front page

andyr
    Free Member

Hope pro 2 evo with stans rims to suit your riding. /thread

deadkenny
    Free Member

Stans rims. Flow EX or Arch EX perhaps. Ensure you get their rim tape and valves with it or better they apply it for you when building.

Hubs… whatever you like. However almost everything off the shelf is Hope. If you don’t mind very loud angry bees in your wheels, go for it. Anything else, then it’s either Stans hubs with Stans rims for factory wheels or probably a custom build for any other hub.

A custom build is perhaps better generally for a well built wheel though.

As suggested – http://www.justridingalong.com

Excellent builds, crazy amount of options. Does take a couple of weeks though.

BoardinBob

I’ve got two proper tubeless setups

1st is stans flows on hope hubs from Merlin. Cost £380. No complaints at all and tyres inflated easily with a track pump. Raced them pretty hard and they’ve been faultless.

2nd set is Superstar Tactic rims on their Switch hubs. Cost £200. Build quality seems very good. I’d previously ran SS wheels for 3 years with no problems. Haven’t ridden them too much in anger but they’ve been fine so far. Impressively light too. 830g front/ 930g rear.

Time will tell if the first set is worth paying almost double for.

jonnyrockymountain

Have a look at American classic wheels, as the rim tape is 10 times better than stans and tyres fit on the rims a lot better than stans, plus the hubs are superb, and the wheelset are as light as you can get for the money

scandal42
    Free Member

I got some Stans Crest on Superstar Evo hubs and they have been utterly faultless for over a year.

The wheels have taken some hammer from my shit riding style and are as perfect as the day they were delivered.

BoardinBob

Actually make that 3 proper setups. Dh bike has sun ringle rims licenced from stans. I’ve hammered them in the Alps and fort William and they’ve been faultless.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Crests and Hans Dampfs. Effortless.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Success with tubeless comes down to tyre and rim combination a lot also, especially if you’re going with non tubeless or tubeless ready tyres.

I wouldn’t go with the full UST tyres + UST rims unless you don’t mind the weight penalty of the tyres. UST tyres are really required any more, hence the likes of Stans have come about to make regular tyres work tubeless and tyre manufacturers making tubeless ready tyres.

Maxxis tyres seem to work particularly well, even the ones not marked as tubeless ready. Wider profile rims help. A good UST rim that is fully sealed is also worth a look, but just use regular tyres with it and sealant. I have UST rims on the bouncy bike, and Stans on the hard tail (and prior to that a ghetto’d tubeless setup). All have been fine tubeless with Maxxis Minions, HR, HR2 and Ardent tyres.

Rider weight and/or heavy on landings however also may be applicable when it comes to blowing tyres off rims.

prawny

My tubeless conversion consists of gaffer tape and the valve cut out of an old inner tube plus some wheel milk from just riding along.

I’d probably go for stans fluid though next time. The JRA stuff is a bit thin.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. My Hope pro II hubs have been great so will probably look at using Hope hubs and will have a look through the wheel builder on JRA.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Crests and Hans Dampfs.

skinny rims and big tyres. Old school!

endurokid
    Free Member

My recent thread, worth a read (it’s not long!)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tubeless-help-needed-3

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Time to go tubeless. What to buy?’ is closed to new replies.