Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Time to get the wife a bullet
  • j5kol
    Free Member

Thinking of getting the wife a nutri bullet, any recipes you have discovered that are healthy but extremely tasty. Also thoughts on the bullet would be greatly appreciated

hugo
    Free Member

Many many things are tasty when shoved in a blender for a meal. Berries, dairy, fruit, veg, whatever. It’s hard to get wrong.

However….. There is a big elephant in the room with things like a Nutribullet. Liquidising food makes it far more easily digestable, spikes insulin more, negates a lot of the point of fibre in fruit and veg because it blitzes it, and fills one up for a shorter time. It actually allows for far more food (and hence of course more vitamins, nutrients, etc) to be packed in more easily – ever looked at what’s crammed into an innocent smoothie bottle then also glanced at the sugar content.

So it depends why it’s wanted. If it’s to cram more fruit and veg in then it’s very effective. If it’s to provide “healthy” meals, then actually just eating the stuff unblended is a better idea.

I use a blender to have two extra meals a day, but that’s because having liquid food allows me to eat more more easily. I’m 94kg and I used a blender to put ON weight and allow me to consume the extra calories conveniently.

I use a Magimix Le Blender. Aweseome bit of kit.

McHamish
    Free Member

I bought one on Monday and have used it every day this week.

My wife’s not very well and I feel useless as I can’t really help…but being able to give her a nutritious* smoothie every day makes me feel like I’m doing something to help her get better.

This morning I made a smoothie with unsweetened almond milk, apple, banana, spinach, chia seeds and a spoonful of some ‘superfood’ powder stuff I got from Holland and Barratt. It took me 10 mins to chop up apples to remove seeds, bung everything in the Nutribullet, whizz it up a bit, drink a glass for me, and stick the rest in the fridge for her, then clean it all up. All done in about 10 mins.

*admittedly, the vanilla ice cream and Oreo cookie ‘smoothie’ I made last night wasn’t very healthy, but she needs fattening up!

j5kol
    Free Member

Wow that sounds amazing McHamish, hope it’s nothing too serious with your wife.

I have heard loads of good reports about them and having a very health concious Mrs, i do think she will get the best out of it

hammyuk
    Free Member

For what they are though they are massively overpriced.
    I have the Breville Acit-blend.
    £30 with blade, 2 sports bottles and lids.
    No faffing changing stuff, decanting it, etc.
    Put stuff in, blitz and put lid on it and drink.

McHamish
    Free Member

Yes, other makes are available that appear to be identical and are cheaper.

I had a juicer my Mum gave me a while ago…used it twice as it takes longer to clean than it does to make and drink the output. Also, with the juicer you end up throwing away a lot of ‘waste’ (skin and other stuff) but with the blender thing you drink all of it.

The one I got came with a sports bottle too…I might take it to work to drink on the train.

I also forgot that I included a handful of blueberries in the smoothie I made this morning, and the superfood powder stuff was ground Baobab (what ever that is).

McHamish
    Free Member

One thing on the price of that brand…

It’s a US product and it is suffering from the usual UK mark-up.

Take a look at amazon.com and amazon.co.uk;

On the US site, the Nurtribullet Pro is $108 vs £127.49 on the UK site!

Converting the US price to GBP gives £71.26…that’s a mark up of £56.23!!!!

I wish I hadn’t looked now…

MrSmith
    Free Member

if you are serious about juicing (especially greens and not just sugar laden fruit with the fibre taken out) then you need a single auger masticator.

slimjim78
    Free Member

hugo completely hits the spot that others are ignoring.

You are way better off just eating the stuff, even if this is a less palatable option.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If it’s what the Mrs wants for Christmas then that’s the most important thing. We had a magimix (I think) juicer and it’s a bit of a gimmick, you can do the same things with a small worktop blender/mixer for a fraction of the price. But if it’s a Bullet she wants …..

razorrazoo

Nutri Ninja (which is the equivalent with a 900W motor) is £60 in Tesco and John lewis at the moment. Caved in and bought one for the missus who has then blown all the money saved on funny sounding H&B powders that turn green smoothies into a poo brown colour.

tenfoot

Oh…………..

Sorry – I was expecting a different kind of bullet

soobalias
    Free Member

^ Nutri Ninja – I had to use up some reward points from a credit card – having used it, worth £60 if thats the rrp
    base, blender bit, two cups and two lids.
    it took the same time to drink, as to blend, as to clean up

agree above re fruit/sugar
    disagree above re “blended the fiber away”, thats like saying that if you dont chew your food you are getting more fiber

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Harsh, I thought this was going to be about mid travel Santa Cruz bikes from the turn of the century.

chewkw
    Free Member

Saw the Ninja yesterday at £60 at JL & Curry … tempted but I got a powerful Vitamix already … 😛

tomhoward

@tenfoot, great minds think alike….

Back to the thread, I fear I am missing something. What’s wrong with just eating your food?

jambalaya
    Free Member

What’s wrong with just eating your food?

Vegetable soups are sometimes nicer blended and smooth than “lumpy”
    Carrot juice can be nicer than raw carrots
    etc

BoardinBob

On the US site, the Nurtribullet Pro is $108 vs £127.49 on the UK site!

Converting the US price to GBP gives £71.26…that’s a mark up of £56.23!!!!

US Price will be without sales tax though. UK price will have shipping costs, import tax, VAT etc on top of the bare US price

NJA

Most mornings, I have Raspberries, Blueberries (both frozen) with fat free vanilla yoghurt, apple juice and a couple of spoons of oats all blitzed together. Tastes amazing and keeps you full til lunch – without the oats I am hungry again within a couple of hours.

rhid

I have both a nutribullet (christmas gift) and an older Kenwood smoothie2go I think its called.

One was about £100 the other was £25. To be honest there is virtually no difference in what they do! Maybe the nutribullet comes with more blades etc but I use them for the same thing and they both work pretty much the same!

I tend to use them to make my breakfast when I ride to work, for that they are great! Its usually milk, bananas, oats, frozen berries, chia seeds and super magic green powder for ultimate health….It fills me up so it does its job!

One thing – I had to take the nutribullet back due to the plastic driver which drives the cutting blade snapping. It was replaced no worries but I have never had any issues with my 5 year old kenwood one. Just worth mentioning!

j5kol
    Free Member

“Raspberries, Blueberries (both frozen) with fat free vanilla yoghurt, apple juice and a couple of spoons of oats all blitzed together”

Now that sounds good !!!!!

hammyuk
    Free Member

I get Instant Oats from either Muscle Food or MyProtein – cheaper than even the own brand supermarket ones and designed to go in drinks so milled to a fine powder.
    Super low GI and high in protein too.

razorrazoo

^ Nutri Ninja – I had to use up some reward points from a credit card – having used it, worth £60 if thats the rrp

Ninja RRP is £100 so at £60 it’s the time to get one, I held off until a deal came up on one of these things to keep Mrs R happy.

The £100 Bullet is only 600W, you pay more for the 900W model, reviews I have read have been favourable to the Ninja as well – better at ice cubes & frozen fruit (apparently). Aesthetically they look pretty similar.

No faffing changing stuff, decanting it, etc.
    Put stuff in, blitz and put lid on it and drink.

This is exactly what the Ninja/Bullet do, however they have more powerful motors / stronger blades to do ice, nuts, unpeeled fruit and veg which the more budgets units don’t (looked into this before parting with the cash).

isitafox
    Free Member

I bought my wife the 900w nutribullet earlier this year. We use it at least once a day for smoothies, protein shakes and breakfast bowl things (that ones her not me!) but the bearings in both blades have died and it’s now horrifically loud. I did change one set which cost about a quid off ebay and I just rang the company that sells them over here yesterday and they’ve posted two new blades out to me FOC but it’s still a bit of a pain.

Despite all this I’d definitely recommend one!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Well 2yrs in and mine is still silent, does ice, nuts and the rest with ease and at £30 I can replace it without crying – in fact they were £20 in Asda the other week!
    Thats 5 of them for your one Bullet with a 2yr guarantee and none of all the attachments, etc to store somewhere when you aren’t using them.

razorrazoo

hammyuk – Member
    Well 2yrs in and mine is still silent, does ice, nuts and the rest with ease and at £30 I can replace it without crying – in fact they were £20 in Asda the other week!
    Thats 5 of them for your one Bullet with a 2yr guarantee and none of all the attachments, etc to store somewhere when you aren’t using them.

Internetz arguing and all that, but I paid £60 for a Ninja which comes with one set of blades, 2 x cups and lids (agreed that this is all you need), couldn’t face paying £100, which like you I think is frankly overpriced.

njee20
    Free Member

As is often the way “better” isn’t that relevant if the OP’s Mrs wants a Bullet… I’d rather spend more on something my wife wants and will use than make a judgement that something is “better”.

wilburt
    Free Member

Two bananas, two kiwis, top up with water. Drink and rinse straight away or it becomes a faff.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not saying its “better” njee – however if the OP is smart….

Buy her the Activ-blend and with the £70 saved get her a spa massage and treatment while he sods off out on the bike for the day…..

sunnydaze310
    Free Member

Nutribullet – had to google it. Pretty grandiose name for a blender…I was expecting a gun that shot pellets of apple into you… 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Time to get the wife a bullet’ is closed to new replies.