Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Time to get rid of my Motorbike perhaps?!
  • Brake-neck
    Free Member

5thElefant I think your argument is based withing the parameters of legal riding speeds in which case no sportsbike tyre will get anywhere near optimal temp.

v8ninety

Nobody falls off on the road because of ‘cold tyres’.

Oh, grow up. Semantics. No one is suggesting that it was because of cold tyres. It was because the rider exceeded the grip available. Which quite possibly would have been available if the tyre was warmer. This is daft. Move on.

Northwind

5thElefant – Member

Nobody falls off on the road because of ‘cold tyres’.

If you fall off because you ran out of traction, and you ran out of traction because the tyres were still cold and therefore not as grippy as you’d thought, then you fell off because of cold tyres

(and because of your error in misjudging the grip- but the reason the grip was lower than expected is the cold tyres- they created the situation which the rider failed to deal with)

BillMC

Sell it before the summer as there will be more demand and you’ll get more of your money back. Don’t keep it longer than you have to. If you have another prang, you’ll be kicking yourself (legs permitting).

officialtob
    Free Member

Give him a break he admitted he made a mistake.

+1.

Didnt the OP request advice on whether or not to get rid of the motorbike? Pretty sure he didnt ask all the STW “experts” for more information on exactly what caused his crashes. 🙄

My advice would be to keep the bike until it’s paid off, AND get a small car – that’s if you can afford to do both. Use the bike on dry days when you’re feeling nice and alert – will help build your confidence back up 🙂

gt900uk
    Free Member

Only dedicated axe murderers ride hard enough to get heat into road tyres. Try putting your hand on your tyre after a legal-speed commute.

My tyres are warm after the commute and i dont ride the bike hard. Motorway commute is enough to feel the heat in the tyres. Have you actually ridden a bike?

Woody
    Free Member

[Quote]To suggest you could get your tyres hot while riding in cold conditions is farcical. Which is why road tyres work from cold.[/quote] some bizarre comments here re differences between hot/warm and cold tyres and the OP appears to know (and has admitted) his mistake!

There has been loads of discussion and tests re standard road and ‘performance’ tyres and the general concensus is that very few riders will ever ride hard enough for long enough on the road to get a proper race/track tyre up to optimum operating temp. I’ve heard of quite a few guys fitting used race rubber and are very happy with it but for general road riding you would be much better with a normal road tyre which gives better grip through a wide range of temps and conditions.

FWIW I would always give it at least 2 or 3 miles at a reasonable speed before even thinking about pushing it as I like to leave a fairly hefty margin for error, or the unexpected, and warm tyres are just another thing which ‘help’.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve always been taught by more older and wiser bike riding friends limit the lean and throttle on cold days and when you first set off or set off in second to limit the power a bit on accleration.

bazzer
    Free Member

Do people really set off in second when the weather is cold !!!!

I am deffo not giving up, I pick up a brand new Tuono V4R on Friday 🙂

I think if you are asking the question then your hearts not in it. Get rid. It is more dangerous than a car. Though I feel the dangers can be mitigated some what by choosing how, where and when you ride.

gribble
    Free Member

I wanted a motorbike for a long time wen I was younger. I did ride one for a short period while working abroad, but have never gotten a UK bike license.

I don’t think there is anything quite like the feeling of riding on twisty country roads, even on the relatively low powered bike I rode. However, my experiences on a bike were in a warm climate, with barely any traffic and no complications of moisture on the roads and irate cab drivers.

Looking back on it I am glad I never really pursued it. I have missed out on some experiences, but the UK has got so many downsides for riding motorbikes.

A small car can cost roughly the same as a sports bike of similar age, but the power to weight ratio is so much less. I have just had a kid and have now hit the time of life where I would have to opt for a 1.0 hatchback, rather than a sports bike. It is my choice, but as said before I get my kicks riding mtb off road and if I get wound up in traffic, I just try and sticks some good tunes on…

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

The only major factor for me is winter it’s a complete no go. I’m too scared if it snows or looks icy. Public transport the only option is a taxi at £30 as the first train to Preston from darwen via Blackburn gets me there at 0730 so I’d be half hour late.

br
    Free Member

but the UK has got so many downsides for riding motorbikes.

Decent clothing sorts out the majority, and since the roads in the UK have one of the lowest levels of deaths/injuries you’re just kidding yourself that abroad in the warmth is safer.

cupra
    Free Member

Back on topic – selling a motorbike. I gave up in 2004 and I regretted it the moment the van the buyer put it in started up to drive off. I then gave up again in December 2012 and don’t miss it at all. If you sell the bike, keep the gear and you can always get another one in the future. I now plan to hire one now 2-3 times a year for a nice day out, total cost £240. That’s less than my annual insurance on the last bike let alone, servicing, tyres etc.

zilog6128

No-one suggested riding a push bike to work yet? Can’t be very far if you only spend £20 on fuel per week. 10-12 miles each way? Perfectly doable every day all year round (just get some marathon winters for the snow/ice). You could get a very nice road/commuter bike for less than the cost of a cheap car + a years insurance. Plus your fitness on the MTB will go through the roof! Keep the motorbike for nice Sundays when the roads are quiet.

cupra
    Free Member

Keep the motorbike for nice Sundays when the roads are quiet.

Do they even exist nowadays? Never went out on a Sunday unless I was back home by 10am having left at 6am.

zilog6128

Yeah I know what you mean. I can normally find quiet country roads when out on the road bike, but earlier is definitely better!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Think it’s roughly 15 miles. It would be a idea a push bike but I’d be utterly shagged after riding there doing a 8 hour shift then back again.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Can’t believe tyre temperature has got everyone so worked up when this is in the first post:

when really i just want to be warm and be able to sip a brew have a ciggie in the car.

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. Love it.

lasty
    Free Member

Just sold my old bonneville – had it over 30 years but after 20 years racing i really didn`t enjoy riding on the roads anymore. Just getting older and more paranoid i expect …
    As for the cold tyre arguement – see how hard the production classes go down Bray hill from a cold start and thatll answer the question…. 8)
    Maybe crap on the road or rider error but not cold tyres.

Woody
    Free Member

Maybe crap on the road or rider error but not cold tyres.

I wonder why people bother with tyre warmers in that case and the warm up lap is obviously a waste of petrol 😉

cheez0
    Free Member

Bloke falls off bike due to own stupidity
    Bloke hurts himself
    Bloke seeks affirmation and pleading on forum to not get rid of bike
    Bloke gets told to sell it, to save killing someone who matters or possibly himself
    Bloke doesn’t like answer, keeps asking other people until receives answer he was looking for.
    its the STW way.

totalshell

i’d be the first to say i ride slow.. but thus far i ve not had an accident.. 25 plus years riding.. my bikes are my adult toys.. and cold tyres of any manufacture dont grip as well as warm..whether thats on a c90.. or a 400/4.

lasty
    Free Member

Woody – tyre warmers have their uses but not essential, its mostly a head thing with proddy classes.
    Warm up laps are good for RACE tyres and help to heat up road tyres but ….

You don’t see many warm up laps at the TT …..
    and tyre warmers aint allowed in the starting area where the rider que for 1/2 an hour or so before the off = cold tyres down Bray hill – FACT ! 😯

Northwind

Yep, because they have mad skillz and balls of steel. But that doesn’t mean the tyres are performing as well as they do when warmed up. So not sure how it’s relevant.

v8ninety

😯 Can’t believe this is still rumbling on. A performance gradient proportional to tyre temperature isn’t a difficult concept. No one was suggesting that cold tyres are slippier versions of Teflon coated greased bars of soap, just that they weren’t quite as effective as when warmed, and could therefor factor in a loss of traction mishap. Oh my. 😯

solamanda
    Free Member

Can’t believe this is still rumbling on

Indeed. With 100k of road riding in all weathers and many track days (with no tyre warmers) I can say hand on heart tyre warmth does make a big difference, especially on sportier rubber.

The number one reason for track day sessions being red flagged is usually the intermediate group (fast but no skilled enough to be with the racer boys in fast, ie: dangerous) who rag it before their tyres warm up for the first few laps.

Also the main thing tyre warmers achieve on a track day is getting enough heat into the wheel itself to maintain the tyre temperature above ambient while the group is lined up.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Time to get rid of my Motorbike perhaps?!’ is closed to new replies.