Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Time to get rid of my Motorbike perhaps?!
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Well after 7 years of riding motorbikes and two accidents including this years. I’m thinking about giving it all up after Summers. Now i do love my motorbikes, as nothing compares to the accleration and being able to demolish everything from a standing start from the lights and up a motorway slip road and on sunny days its great. It costs me nowt to insure and the only real cost is the £180 a month im paying my Mum’s fella for the bike, which ends in October.

But after having my most recent accident and tearing Ligaments and breaking my leg and also living in a Area that when it snows its nigh on impossible to ride a motorbike off the street and not being a fan of winter riding in general now after 7 years.

Im thinking once its all paid off to get a small capacity car for work etc. Now the insurance for me wouldn’t be cheap £800 fully comp on a 1.2 litre up to 1.6 litre car. Now my missus does all the driving. But because missus works 2200 – 0700 and me mostly a 0700 – 1500 shift i couldn’t use hers so would need my own vehicle.

Just wonndering if im doing it for the right reasons giving motorbikes up or will i regret it. Id love to have both but its one or the other untill i get a pay rise and we cut some of the outgoings (wedding planning costs, getting missus’s daughter through college and clearing our credit cards off) and related to winter, its disheartening having to go out in the cold, when really i just want to be warm and be able to sip a brew have a ciggie in the car.

Plus on average as car owners what are the yearly running costs of a small car. On average, i probably spend more in petrol doing a 20 mile each way commute than my missus does in petrol. My bike returns 40 mpg at best and hers the low 50’s to mid 40’s mark. Both put £20 a week of fuel in, or more if i go for a blast and we go in the car somewhere.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Stop riding like a ****

colp

Get a trail bike, get your fix off road.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I wasn’t riding like one. I had cold tyres and slipped. No accident ive had has been caused by stupid riding as i dont take silly risks. Accident before this one was caused by someone driving into to the back of me because they were driving their car while on a mobile phone and didn’t see the car infront of me had stopped and i had stopped.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I gave up because a . I ride like a lunatic and b. because 4 wheels tin box mean it slides and protects me, instead of falling over and abandoning me to my fate. Reluctant to even ride a mtb on the road now. I love bikes but I love life better.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

sugdenr – Member
    I love bikes but I love life better.

Only your own by the sound of it.

Northwind

Mine is parked up, not sure if it’ll ever go back on the road- I just found I wasn’t enjoying riding it that much, then got more into mountain biking and tbf I just found it more satisfying- the best bits on the motorbike are as good as the best bits on the pushbike but the pushbike just has more good bits. Not enough time for both so I went with the more satisfying one.

If you like it, stick with it. If you don’t, don’t.

samuri
    Free Member

Motorcylists account for 1% of traffic and 19% of fatalities.

I used to love riding a motorbike too for all the reasons you give but sensibly, a car is the way forwards. If you want to live. I had a couple of small accidents and then walked away from a big one where my friend lay broken on the street and a car was now a car-bike. Car drivers fault. It happened so quickly and easily and we both spent a night in a hospital ward where another motorcyclist had lost both legs. He screamed all night.

Scare tactics maybe but the risk is very high.

Get a little car, the initial preim may seem higher but drive quietly and it’ll pay you back big time. In money and longetivity.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cold tyres and slipped …. 😀 love it

CountZero

Only your own by the sound of it.

So, how’s the view from your little bit of the moral high ground? 🙄

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Coffeeking it was and I’m happy to admit my fault completely it was cold I was stressed after seeing my Granpa take his last breath and seeing my now deceased Gran taken into a hospice overnight hysterical cause of her dementia and lastly but by no means least my step mum at the time was in critical care after a massive stroke. So due to a total lapse in concentration I made a school boy error, setting off on a bend when it’s cold in 1st gear, and the back end stepped out so I stuck my leg out to steady myself and it got yanked backwards and I sustained the injuries.

Under normal circumstances I would of set off not as agressivley and in a higher gear.

But it’s made me think I can’t afford to run the risk and end up off work for 2.5 months again.

cheez0
    Free Member

Yeah sell it,

Do us all a favour

Tom83

Bored of all these nobhead replies from certain people all the time! Op sounds like you’ve already decided to sell it, and that you need to hear it from someone else to do it. If you’ve still got to pay it off, why not decide then, and see how it goes for the summer? Can you not look into busses etc for the short term?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Cold tyre? No. That only applies to race compounds. You fell off for another reason.

You can always buy a bike sometime in the future. Get a mx or enduro bike. You’ll find riding on the road utterly tedious after that.

officialtob
    Free Member

Stop riding like a ****

^ Great help.. 🙄

Yeah sell it,

Do us all a favour
    ^ More great help.. 🙄

Bored of all these nobhead replies from certain people all the time!

^ +100. Keyboard warriors at their best.

andycs

How about keeping the bike and using it for the occasional track day. No tax or insurance to pay, just buy single bike trailor and tow to the track. Still get your adrenaline fix in relative safety.

br
    Free Member

I use to not ride if there was ice on the car windscreen (90 mile round-trip commute), and based on this year (now live in Scotland as opposed to the South East) I’d have barely ridden it so far.

So, if you need a car anyway, then either accept the additional cost or just run a car.

I sold my bike last year as I didn’t need it – I do miss my bikes as I’ve been riding for 30 years. I’d stopped the Sunday Superbike riding once I’d got into MTB’s, but still commuted 20k per year.

As for accidents, they happen and you just need to learn why.

Cold tyre? No. That only applies to race compounds. You fell off for another reason.

Nope, a mate of mine did exactly the same as the OP. On a ‘Busa. Except he didn’t hurt himself, or at least we didn’t think so. He got home with the damaged bike and went in the house. About an hour later his Missus comes home, sees the bike and says “What the hell happened to your bike”. “Eh?”, says he, “What you talking about?”.

Concussion. He rang to ask what had happened as he couldn’t remember a thing.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Your mate may we’ll have done the same thing as the op. Cold tyres weren’t the cause though.

mugsys_m8

Guys get a grip and if you can’t say anything useful don’t say it…

Sounds to me like there’s a need for ‘fun’ and a need for transport. Motorbikes can do both, but sometimes you need to focus on one aspect or the other….

A motorbike can be more useful than a car for commuting, sometimes a car is best. Depends on lots of aspects. Have you considered a minimising risk approach? Keep on riding but only for commuting, i.e for the times when you can’t use your partners car, therefore reducing your exposure but still riding. Or public transport/ push bike combination for commuting and keep the bike for the occasional fun blast.

It might make sense financially to keep the bike rather than sell and get a tin box. It might not be an important aspect, it might not make much difference. It might be an idea to get a more sensible bike? Lots of things only you know.

Having been brought up with a father who spent the majority of his time commuting by motorbike and being an ‘enthusaist’ who loves riding to races and cleaning and working on the machines, but not one who deliberately hung out with bikers or always went out riding at weekends for fun; I personally struggle to grasp the concept of people who view motorbikes as toys (it’s not a criticism) and not as a transport option. Sure I like Sunday afternoon blasts, and going to the races (when I have a bike) but for me motorcylcing is a mode of transport, and not purely something to do for fun. I can think of more people I know who have hurt themselves badly by riding for ‘fun’ on public roads rather than using their bikes as a means of transport.

Plus…in these times there’s the unnecessary burning of fuel issue.But I’ve no strong feelings on that.

So, not much useful to say I guess, just the dribbling drivelling of someone who loves bikes, even MZ’s!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wasn’t riding like one. I had cold tyres and slipped

That’s just bad riding. Sorry but it is. I’ve had some pretty powerful bikes and you can give them a LOT of stick on cold tyres before anything happens. Personally I’ve never had so much as a twitch from that situation and I’ve been riding all year round for about 17 years.
    I’ve had a couple of low speed spills but theory were mostly my fault through inattention or lack of skill. If you can accept it was your fault and learn from it, it won’t happen again.
    Every rider needs to improve. We have to because the car drivers are stuck in their little bubble of perfectness once they’ve passed their tests and cannot imagine they could be any better. And that’s what we as riders have to account for.
    I’d suggest you go and get yourself some additional training, Rospa, IAM, something like that. And what bike are you riding? Maybe something smaller and more manageable would be better. And personally I wouldn’t buy a motorbike without ABS any more, having experienced what it can do. 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

It’s a difficult one re whether to get rid of the bike completely. I know I definitely wouldn’t like to have to commute on the bike all year, in all weathers.

If space/circumstances permit, how about keeping the bike for summer when the weather is ok and getting an old cheap car for winter. At least then you still have the bike for back-up should the car break down and the bike (which you say will cost you next to nothing after Oct) is still there when you want it.

The above is pretty much what I do and to be honest, the bike rarely gets used for commuting as the car is so much easier for my short journey to work.

It does sound like you want an excuse to get rid of the bike (for whatever reason) and really it’s not that big a deal. You can always get another one later 😉

Northwind

5thElefant – Member

Cold tyre? No. That only applies to race compounds.

Utter pish.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member
    Cold tyre? No. That only applies to race compounds.
    Utter pish.

It is yes, but there’s not much difference between a ‘cold’ Bridgestone BT021* and a ‘warm’ one one I can assure you. Blaming cold tyres for falling off is a very weak excuse. It was your right hand mate…! 🙂

*or whatever their sports/touring tyre is these days.

officialtob
    Free Member

Guys get a grip and if you can’t say anything useful don’t say it…

So, not much useful to say I guess

😀

Northwind

PeterPoddy – Member

Blaming cold tyres for falling off is a very weak excuse.

It’s always the rider’s fault… But that’s 2 different things. Someone claiming road tyres don’t grip less well when cold is really not helping matters, that’s proper leads-to-a-crash advice.

And the OP did only mention it when accused of “riding like a ****”. He screwed up but that doesn’t equal “riding like a ****”

v8ninety

Cold tyres + cold Tarmac + not realising/thinking about the implications of the first two = recipe for disaster.

OP was happy to admit it was his fault, he was explaining the circumstances, not blaming inanimate objects. Anyone who suggests that temp makes no difference to grip with motorcycle tyres plainly has no clue about motorcycle tyre compounds vs car tyre compounds.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And the OP did only mention it when accused of “riding like a ****”. He screwed up but that doesn’t equal “riding like a ****”

I never said it did 🙂

But, You’ve gotta be giving it a fistful to come off on the road due to cold tyres, and blaming the cold tyres rather than your right hand is the problem. Learn from your mistake and move on, rather than trying to apportion blame to something else. And get some advanced training. 🙂

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah I wholeheartedly admit it was my fault. Not thinking straight, the cold tyre aspect with the combination of a frosty road plus me giving it too much throttle. Plus I don’t like the bridgestones on it they are fack in the wet. I have just been out on it to physio and it put a smile on my face

5thElefant
    Free Member

Cold conditions is not the same as cold tyres. You do not have to get road tyres ‘up to temperature’.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. Now it’s frost…. Or the make of tyre…….. 😉

v8ninety

Cold conditions is not the same as cold tyres. You do not have to get road tyres ‘up to temperature’.

You don’t have to get race tyres ‘up to temperature’ either… But their grip is improved as you do. Same with motorcycle road tyres.

br
    Free Member

There is an assumption there regarding the tyres the OP was running.

I’d agree that ‘proper’ road tyres don’t need warming in the same way the semi-slick road-legal ones do, but +100bhp can make life interesting. My Fazer 1000 on a cold morning would happily spin the rear, especially with the crappy OE Metzlers that came with it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You don’t have to get race tyres ‘up to temperature’ either… But their grip is improved as you do. Same with motorcycle road tyres.

Yes, you do.

Only dedicated axe murderers ride hard enough to get heat into road tyres. Try putting your hand on your tyre after a legal-speed commute.

To suggest you could get your tyres hot while riding in cold conditions is farcical. Which is why road tyres work from cold.

molgrips
    Free Member

Give him a break he admitted he made a mistake.

martymac

id keep the bike but get a cheap old car, with the smallest petrol engine you can find. (its what i did)
    you are only going to work in it, it will have a heater etc.
    keep the bike for summer.
    i used a bike as my only form of transport for 3 years before i passed my car test and i loved it at the time but i wouldnt want to go back to that now.
    im sorry to hear about all the shit youre going through, i went through similar when my gran died, time is a great healer, its been 15 years since she passed away and it doesnt feel so raw these days.

v8ninety

Yes, you do.
    Only dedicated axe murderers ride hard enough to get heat into road tyres. Try putting your hand on your tyre after a legal-speed commute.
    To suggest you could get your tyres hot while riding in cold conditions is farcical. Which is why road tyres work from cold.

No, you don’t. As someone who used to ride with part worn ‘race’ tyres on the road because they were a damn sight cheaper I can unequivocally state that the levels of grip from cold equalled or exceeded that of a cold road tyre. Of course if the tyre was ‘up to temperature’ it’s grip provided would be improved to a different level, but I would suggest that if you were riding in such a committed style as to use that grip, then you may not be riding on the road for very long. Road rubber also offers less grip when ambient conditions are cold; the difference in grip between the first couple of miles of a ride (cold rubber) and the rest of the ride (up to temperature) is extremely noticeable.

Northwind

5thElefant – Member

Only dedicated axe murderers ride hard enough to get heat into road tyres

Also pish.

Road tyres work from cold, sure, but they get better as they warm. Can’t believe this is even a subject for debate tbh.

v8ninety

Road tyres work from cold, sure, but they get better as they warm. Can’t believe this is even a subject for debate tbh.

Agreed. Ridiculous. Also, for sensible riding on the road, I can confirm that ‘race tyres’ work fine from cold too. They just wear out a LOT quicker.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sure, they get better. It’s the phrase ‘cold tyres’ that’s the problem. This is only an issue on road tyres where the level of grip is non-existent, like riding in the wet, until they get up to temperature.

Nobody falls off on the road because of ‘cold tyres’.

mugsys_m8

I’ve said it before… I have nothing useful to add…
    😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Time to get rid of my Motorbike perhaps?!’ is closed to new replies.