Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Time to bin pads?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Xt brakes, put new pads on recently. Brakes are howling like you wouldn’t believe, Cleaned rotors with Muc Off brake cleaner. Did the same for the pads as well as sand them lightly and used washing up liquid. They are better but still howling. Should I just replace the pads? Are cheap pads a false economy?

cultsdave
    Free Member

My last couple of sets of superstar pads did this. Older sets of Superstar pads have been fine. Apparently the uber bike ones are good?
    I replaced mine with Shimano specific ones.

Northwind

Noise usually means a bit of misalignment ime (my brakes always make noise, I don’t care but I can see why it annoys people)

warns74
    Free Member

Are cheap pads a false economy?

In my experience with XT pads, yes! I now only buy the OEM ones, (GO3S I think) they are fantastic and last really well. For example I’m 15 stone kitted up and after a week in the Alps I only just had to replace the rear set, fronts were fine.

andysredmini
    Free Member

That muc off brake cleaner is rubbish. Mine squealed until it wore off when prior to cleaning they were silent. Much better to use carb cleaner or similar that doesn’t leave an oily residue.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I tried some Shimano metal pads in my RS685’s thinking they’d last a bit longer, the noise was awful, I’ve gone back to the resin one’s, problem sorted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Time to bin pads?’ is closed to new replies.