Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Time required to train for 70 mile road ride
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

My mate wants me to sign up to a 70 mile sportive at the start of June. So far this year furthest i’ve ridden is about hilly 30 miles on the roadie. I can do this at a reasonable pace, and going hard for 2 hours on the MTB isn’t really an issue. But is it feasible to get up to 70 miles on the road in a month or so?

Doesn’t need to be done fast…I’d say a 16 mph average over not hugely challenging terrain would be the aim.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes
    &
    Buy knob butter 😉

cultsdave
    Free Member

If you are fit 70 miles onn a roadie is not too bad. Just make up a 50 or 60 mile loop and give it a try, see how you get on. The most important thing is to eat and drink. Its tricky to get this right. Oce you feel hungry or thirsty its too late!

ransos
    Free Member

I can do this at a reasonable pace, and going hard for 2 hours on the MTB isn’t really an issue.

You shouldn’t have any problems, then. Just make sure your bike is comfortable as you’ll be in the saddle for 4 hours.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

A hilly 30 miles probably equates to a 50ish flatter ride i’d say.

You’ll probably be fine. Just make sure your comfortable on the bike.

Yak

I can’t imagine you are too far away fitness wise. Just head out for a few longer rides. Eat and drink regularly as said above and all should be fine. Experiment now with your foods and find what suits you as there’s no point guzzling all the free gels on the sportive day if they disagree with you.

johnners
    Free Member

You could do it now, given your description of your current activity and if pace isn’t important. Just don’t go off too quickly, you can always up the pace at the 3/4 point if you feel you’ve energy to spare. You might be uncomfortable though, you don’t tend to shift your arse around much on the road and a few hours in the same position takes a bit of getting used to.

pondo

Longer distances on the road bike are as much a mental thing, I think, given a sensible pace and an adequate supply of fuel and water (and assuming it’s not ferociously hilly). If you can ride for two hours, you can ride for four, just gotta have the right head on. 🙂

iainc

as above +1. if you can find a 45-50 mile route and do it a few times you’ll be fine at 70. I am doing Etape Caledonia (85 miles) in 2 weeks and ‘training’ constitutes a couple of hilly 25 road loops a week and the odd 50-60 mile ride – I did one last week and maybe one more this weekend.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’m doing the Tour of Lauder 89 miler tomorrow. I average about 90 miles a week on strava which is a mixture of road , commute and Mtb. 70 miles should be fairly easy If you just pace yourself and as others have said eat properly and make sure you take on enough water. Having someone too ride with makes a big difference as well as anything over 3 -4 hours on a road bike Is (IMO) very boring.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive just committed to the Walney to Whitby C2C in 3 weeks, that’s 110 miles the first day & 75 miles the 2nd. Furthest ive ridden this yr has been 104 miles in a day. Get out and ride the road bike at every opportunity & you’ll be fine.

miketually
    Free Member

Furthest I’ve ridden in a day this year is 50km. I could do 100 miles tomorrow, though it wouldn’t be pretty 🙂

If I’m doing 200 bike miles a month, I can do 100 miles off-road in a day.

TiRed

30 hilly miles means you’ll finish 70 no trouble. Just remember to eat during the ride.

brassneck

.. and don’y get caught up chasing wheels, ride your pace. Easy enough then.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Just do it

The worst that can happen is you end up going a bit slower for the last 20 miles… so what ??… You’ll still get to the end, just 40mins later than you thought

Go have a nice day out on your bikes with some pals

iainc

.. and don’y get caught up chasing wheels, ride your pace.

yes and no, in that when there are big groups on the road like in a Sportive it’s quie easy and acceptable to get a few lifts along, which can ease the effort….if you so desire 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s not that far, I got pissed and entered a sportive in the lakes with a similar distance (the following morning) with a **** load of climbing. Just pace yourself.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“A hilly 30 miles probably equates to a 50ish flatter ride i’d say.”

but then most folks sense of a hilly bike ride is skewed to actually it was almost time trial course flat with a couple of small lumps in.

FWIW i rarely ride more than 30 miles a day split into commuting too and from work and managed the etape course in 4:25 in high wind a couple weeks back taking mrs tr for a tour round the course.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but then most folks sense of a hilly bike ride is skewed to actually it was almost time trial course flat with a couple of small lumps in.

Unless you live in the lakes or here (average some big climbing)

mrmo
    Free Member

went out with the club for the last winter training ride, in the preceding weeks the longest ride was 60miles. Felt good, did some turns for the first 50miles, at which point dropped to the back and sat in, After the halfway point speed picked up a tad, started grovelling to hang on, at 80miles my legs cried enough. I sat up then rode a further 20miles solo, not particularly fast for the last bit but did the 100miles in 5hr:35min, with 4 hours for the first 80.

Point is, you will be fine, just a matter of getting your head to believe you can do it, and you may have to accept that the last few miles will see you grovelling a bit. Just eat and drink. If you can find a group, take a tow it will make your life a bit easier and save your legs for later.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m very unfit these days and have found that while very slow, so long as I don’t go off too hard, I can ride that sort of distance without any real trouble (not to say that I’m not tired at the end but not unreasonably so).

From what you’ve said of your riding you’ll have no problems so long as you pace yourself.

richmtb

As a one off you can ride in a day what you normally cover in a week. So if you regularly do 20-30 mile rides then you’ll be fine

trail_rat
    Free Member

doesnt matter where you live mike, everyone seems to think every ride they do is “hilly” because it has some climbs in it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Time required to train for 70 mile road ride’ is closed to new replies.