• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Time pedals opinions
  • carlos
    Free Member

I’ve been using Time pedals for a few years now and its come round that they need replacing. The bearings have some play in them and a week or so ago one of the spring retention bars came out. I’ve sorted this for now but unsure how long its going to last.

Anyway, I’ve purchased a new set of Time Atac MX4’s and TBH they look a bit Meh!! and a bit crappy.

Anyone been using the NEW composite style and how did they last??

The last ones I had were the DH4’s but they seem to be no longer available.

I don’t really want to move to another brand as I like the feel of the Time’s, but I can’t help feeling that they are just not going to last

Cheers

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had some MX4s going for a couple of years now. The bodies are pretty gouged by rock strikes but they still work just as well as they did the first day I installed them. I can’t say I’ve noticed a functional difference between them and my old Aliums and Z-Freerides.

M6TTF
    Free Member

love TIME pedals – using XC6 at the moment. Had some old ones years ago that just refused to die. Dabbled with Crank Bros for a few years as the were a lot cheaper, they just don’t last like TIME. If you have dicky knees, or like float then they tick all the boxes in my opinion

Bedds
    Free Member

I’ve been using the MX8’s for about 8 months now, in my opinion, they’re the best pedals I’ve ever had

Quick edit, I got them from Ebay at a fair discount from RRP

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have the yellow XC6s on two bikes and old ROC carbons on another. They all seem pretty good, even the daily commuter has been fine, but only had those for 6 months. Sometimes they squeak a bit when standing up, but I don’t think it’s much to worry about. My CB eggbeaters all fell apart after not enough use, which made me go for a different brand.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have XC8 on my Diverge.

They’ve been excellent so far, just over a year so far. Feel like the same bombproof pedals that Time are rightly praised for.

carlos
    Free Member

All sounds good and the composite ones obviously last better than they look like they will.

Found some alloy ones (DH4’s) in Germany so getting them and going to return the Composite ones. If they last as long as the last set I’ll be more than happy

PrinceJohn

I like time pedals the only reason I don’t use them any more is shimano pedals are much cheaper.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I have XC8 on my Diverge.

They’ve been excellent so far, just over a year so far. Feel like the same bombproof pedals that Time are rightly praised for.

Have you experienced any problems with the spring retaining pins falling out?

Del

ooh. where’d you find the DH4s? bought some MX2 recently and returned both sets – wonky spindles on them 🙁
    ah, found ’em. might just try the mx4s

exupmonkey
    Free Member

I moved from Shimano to Time atac after I managed to break two sets of M545’s, I much prefer the Atacs and they seem to be holding up well,but I suppose it’s subjective.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good; although it seems to be a problem for some…

Better than Eggbeaters?

iainc

XC4’s here – love ’em 🙂

Bedds
    Free Member

without doubt David, I’ve used both, I had similar issues with the egg beaters collapsing on me, these are not only a good solid platform but give a reassuring ‘clunk’ when you connect

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep. Better in my experience.

I have a ten year old pair of Z platforms still going strong. Haven’t had to do anything to my XC8s apart from clean them.

When I hear people defending Egg Beaters “as long as you service them regularly” I have a little chuckle. Service pedals? Life’s too short!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. I agree; have never had to service a set of shimano’s.

Might give the XC8s a go if I can find some for a good price.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

4 pairs of Time ATACs currently here (2 XC8 Carbons, 1 ATAC XS Carbon, and one regular ATAC XS). The best pedals out there imo (not least because I have dodgy knees).

My longest running are the set of 4 year old ATAC XS pedals (non carbon) that have done around 25000km through all weathers with no servicing and although the fibre glass pedal platform is well, well worn as are the cleat retaining cages, the pedals are still going strong!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

David, I think the XC8s are discontinued. Not sure what the replacement is called.

*edit – I was wrong. Still listed on their site*

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There’s a shop on ebay selling them, maybe they’re old stock?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-ATAC-XC8-Carbon-Pedals-MTB-Cyclocross-Self-Cleaning-No-Clogging-/321930731274?hash=item4af4911f0a:g:NhQAAOSwcBhWVaQa

It’s just the price really. If they last along time then fair enough; only really used to shelling out £20/30 on Shimano’s though.

Robz
    Free Member

I have/had Time MX8’s.

I liked the feel of the pedals but I annihilated the left hand carbon pedal body when clipping a rock with my foot.

Wont be buying another pair – too fragile. I am currently waiting for the Crankbrohters Enduro ones to come out.

carlos
    Free Member

davidtaylforth-
    Have you experienced any problems with the spring retaining pins falling out?

This is what happened to mine (not the MX8’s though)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I bought some XC4’s in the end as they were “only” £45 on Merlin cycles.

I fitted them today and went for a quick ride. I think I like them!

I prefer the engagement (jsut sounds/feels nicer); the cleats are much quieter whilst clipped in; nicer float; lighter; they’re black. THis is in comparison to Shimano XTs

Thanks for the advice all.

poah
    Free Member

had a pair of the original time atac’s for 18 years before I got a pair of MX6s from bike-discount. the original ones are still going strong just wanted more platform

ton

I bought and fitted some time pedals last week, after folk on here said they were good.
    1 ride and I sold them….didn’t like them.

xt’s fitted now, which are far nice to use…..imho.

iainc

ton, not quite….

iainc – Member
    ^^^ ton, those ones are crap, you would be better on the xc4 or xc2

here

🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Time pedals opinions’ is closed to new replies.