• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by otsdr.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Time pedals breaking waaaay to easily, common?
  • 13thfloormonk

I had the metal ‘arch’ on one of my Time XC2s randomly break today. They’ve been used extremely lightly on a gravel bike and actually broke on a climb, so no rock strikes!

I’m hoping Merlin will warranty them, but did a bit of googling and it sounds like the new style Time XC pedals are really prone to this, can anyone vouch for them one way or the other?

thekettle
    Free Member

My new xc4s did the same thing last winter when 6 weeks old. Merlin warrantied them swiftly, no trouble since in 2000 miles on and off road (cx/tourer bike)

13thfloormonk

Glad to hear it, I kind of trusted that Merlin would be decent re: warranty.

Wonder if it’s just a QA thing and a few bad ones are getting through. I see the XC8s have a molded arch instead of a stamped arch, just a shame Merlin are out of stock (and they’re mega ££)

cuyahoga
    Free Member

If only Merlin had a phone number, or a warranty email process, and were open on a Saturday afternoon…

soulwood
    Free Member

I’ve had Times for years, probably 8-9 yrs but have had to replace three pairs in the last 3 yrs as the coiled springs broke. The last pair only lasted a year and stock was low to non existent to replace. Gave up on them now and run XT trail pedals on my bikes.

13thfloormonk

If only Merlin had a phone number, or a warranty email process, and were open on a Saturday afternoon…

What’s your point? I wasn’t asking about Merlin’s warranty process…

joebristol

I used to love Time atac on my mountain bikes back in the day. Never needed any maintenance and never went wrong.

Went for some time composite road pedals about 5 years or so ago and snapped one on a commute to work. Really odd – maybe a qc thing too?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Time dont appear to make ATAC pedals like they used to, my XS Carbons from 2007 are still going strong, but lots of reports of shears around the clips in the last ~5 years or so.

igm

The originals were just a plain gauge spring wire that was formed to also make the arch.
    Then they had stamped springs or forged arches or something and they just aren’t the same.
    I’m still running the spring wire based ones, my wife has an absolutely original grey plastic enclosed spring one (circa 1997 or 8 I think – I bent the axle on my pair of those). They are slightly heavier, but…
    I don’t really fancy new ones if I’m honest.

13thfloormonk

Ah well, happy days!

Merlin replaced under warranty (as I kind of expected) but the news pedals arrived with a different looking arch, if I’m not mistaken they now have a moulded arch similar to the more expensive XC8s and upwards, rather than the rougher edged stamped/pressed arch they had previously.

I emailed back the warranty guy at Merlin to ask if this is a standard thing now or if it’s a one off (I actually asked in my warranty cover letter if they could replace the arches with the moulded ones, didn’t really expect a custom one off though).

Restored my faith in Time pedals for now, hopefully the new arches last longer.

daver27
    Free Member

I had one go on me last November, snapped as the bike slipped out on a root. Cue foot smashing into the ground and one broken ankle..

Only just gone back to clips and they are
    .SPDs

thecaptain
    Free Member

That’s disappointing. My oldest atacs are about 20 years and still going strong. Always seemed basically indestructible to me.

13thfloormonk

SPDs…

Well yeah, but I guess you didn’t suffer knee pain when using SPDs?

Time were an instant improvement for me so I’m really hoping the new arches on my XC2 last a bit longer.

If only Shimano could build in more float into the SPD system I’d be back on them like a shot.

13thfloormonk

Yeah that’s the reputation thecaptain, but it seems like Time might be paying attention to the failures, if the improved looking arch on mine is anything to go by.

I’m staying optimistic for now 8)

daver27
    Free Member

knee pain has very little to do with float on a pedal and a lot to do with position on the bike… might be worth looking into that if you suffer

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Dave – you haven’t met my knees.

daver27
    Free Member

😆 nope, but i’ve met mine..

13thfloormonk

knee pain has very little to do with float on a pedal and a lot to do with position on the bike… might be worth looking into that if you suffer

Hmm, OK, I’ll tell me knees that they should in fact still be sore and that they’re only imagining not being sore after I switched to Time 8)

Same with the road bike, moved from standard float Look cleats to mega float Look cleats, happier knees.

natrix
    Free Member

My oldest atacs are about 20 years and still going strong. Always seemed basically indestructible to me.

Same here, the spring is wearing slightly in places but they’re still going 😀

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Run ATACS on loads of bikes. Katie’s “mark 1’s” are still going strong on her commute bike that’s over 15 years old and does 1000’s of miles a year on original springs and bearings.

I’ve always stuck to the ones with round wire springs as the stamped springs wore quickly IME.

Does anyone have a contact email (that gets a response) for Time or distributor? I smacked a month old MX6 on a rock and bent one of the springs (so it doesn’t stay clipped in). Trying to find out if it is repairable.

13thfloormonk

They do look temptingly repairable if you could get another spring…

Suggestion from Merlin is that Time have modified the design, so hopefully going forward the cheaper models will have the moulded arches instead of the pressed ones.

But of course since my shiny new ones will now last 15-20 years I’ll have no cause to find out 8)

otsdr
    Free Member

I have two pairs of ATACs, one from 2009, the other from 2011. Both still work.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Time pedals breaking waaaay to easily, common?’ is closed to new replies.