Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Time pedals
  • muggomagic

Given up on eggbeaters after another set lost it’s bearings halfway round a ride and left me trying to ride home with just the axle and hard soled shoes. I have stuck an old set of shimano M540 pedals that i had in the shed, but my knees are really suffering.

So what I need to know is are the bearings in Time Atac pedals more robust than the eggbeaters? Do they have the same amount of float as the eggbeaters? Will I be ok with the shimano pedals i have if i spend a bit of time setting the cleats up?

jaycmx1
    Free Member

genuinly asking a question.but why will the shimano pedals give you sore knees and not other ones?

z1ppy

jay – time’s have more ‘float’ in them than shimano, supposedly less likely to give knee issues. Though I got mine due to shimano crappy mud abilities, Times just don’t block up (liek eggy’s).

I’ve been running time freeridez for years now and when the bearing are on the way out it’s obvious and dead easy to change – they definitely have never let me down by ‘falling apart’ half way round a ride (unlike my m8’s eggbeaters).

I’ve never user eggbeater so can’t say for sure they have the same float as the times… but that what the reviews say about em.

soma_rich
    Free Member

there great.

Bearing last ages and easy to service when they get rough.

I haven’t used egg beaters so couldn’t comment on the float but they have loads more than Shimano and they wont get clogged up in the mud which Shimano is renowned for.

Simon

IME Time pedal bearings last well, I’ve got some 2 and a bit year old Freeride Zs and the bearings are fine.

muggomagic

part of the eggbeater appeal for me was that they have more float and never clogged up, but the bearings life span is pretty shit.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Time ATAC since about 1996 ish. I did try Eggys and kept breaking cleats in half with my bulk (all 140lbs of it!) Bushes wore out too.

My current Time Aliums are 5 years old and going strong, I have greased them once (drilled a small hole in the end cap and went to work with a grease gun) and thats it. Cleats last a year of average riding and don’t snap!

SSP

jaycmx1
    Free Member

that will be why i get a sore knee sometimes then.thought i needed to adjust my cleats on the shoes for my leg position.shimano on both my bikes.thanks for that

z1ppy

yay – still worth checking your cleat position (I did get on with shimano pedal, except in winter), the ‘float’ is one thing but just plain bad positioning is never gong to be solved by that….

redthunder
    Free Member

Time for me.

Always get knee ache with Shimano pedals for some reason.

Time also shed the mud easily.

Junkyard
    Free Member

time mud sheeding, easy clip in and easy clip out + float what more can you want in a pedal?

muggomagic

thanks people. just bought some of these

racing_ralph
    Free Member

expensive trial on heresay

redthunder
    Free Member

Nice. Had miy Times allum almost 7 years and never serviced them, used all the time. Still going.

You will not look back 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

expensive trial on heresay

umm have you never bought anything without trying it first???

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not at 80 quid when there is a 30 option – no

muggomagic

I went for them as the £30 ones are the older models and imo don’t look as good. also there are no stock of the £30 option anyway.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve used Time atac since they were launched in the UK at the 1996 cycle show, actually although I’ve bought about a dozen pairs since I’m still using the original set on my commuting bike.
    Time pedals just work, and that’s all you need to know.

rhysie
    Free Member

I have a pair of freeride pedals for sale if you are interested. They have a few scratches (a couple of rides worth)but the seals are as new.
    £25 posted

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Time pedals’ is closed to new replies.