Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Time off
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Got a week off in a couple. . Gonna traipse round scotland riding.ill take the road and the Mtb.planning to Golspie and maybe ride to inverie and back( knoydart) anything else epic I should think about?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What route into knoydart – I recently walked in from kinlochhourn the downhills would be good but the uphills would be carry your bike in places and there would be a lot of walking

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Aah yes kinlochourn to inverie. Is it a bit of a hike? I’m up for the exercise tbh.. What’s the name of the good restaurant on the other side? Fancied Going there .. It’s a magic place

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is a great place – You mean the old forge in inverie? Great seafood.

I would suspect that going in from kinlockhourn would be 25% walking with the bike, 15% carrying your bike but the rest good riding

Northwind

If you’re trailcentring, Balblair is near Golspie and is a wee forgotten gem… Not for everyone I think but the bedrock features are fantastic, it’s like dozens of mini-mcmoabs.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Nope tj the other side of the peninsula …. Seafood place I think . Thanks for the tips though. I think I’ll still do it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is no other place on the other side of the peninsular as far as I know. Th old forge is what you will be thinking of.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

This place…might not be able to stay there but I’ll check with them.http://www.doune-knoydart.co.uk/visit-us/prices
    Gonna stay away from trailcenters apart from Golspie but will do some wilderness type routes

johnfb
    Free Member

I would suspect that going in from kinlockhourn would be 25% walking with the bike, 15% carrying your bike but the rest good riding

For regular mountain bikers I reckon you’re bang on (I’m just back from a bank holiday out-and-back daytrip). We’d hoped to ‘ride’ all the way from Kinloch Hourn to Inverie and back, but thought better of it at the top of the Mam Barrisdale pass. Loads of daylight but pretty pooped, and didn’t want to risk exhaustion/tumble out in the wilds. That said, it was pretty busy with campers and hikers.

This description of the trail from CTC is pretty much spot on, but you can definitely ride more on MTBs than they did (60% riding unless you’re super fit/skilled).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Time off’ is closed to new replies.