Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Time MTB pedals – service kits not available?
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Asked the LBS to service the Time ATAC pedal as one one of the bikes while it was it for some other work but they tell me that they can’t get service kits any more. Apparently there is a new model of pedal out and they’re no longer supporting the old ones. Anyone else run into this? I have about 8 sets of Time pedals and don’t expect to just chuck them away when they start showing a bit of wear or play.

khani
    Free Member

Just buy the bearing and bushings from simply bearings and do it yourself, it’s dead easy..
    This is all you need to know

Time pedal bearing replacement

(whilst still on the bike) Take the end cap off, undo the nut on the end of the axle, pull the body of the axle (why you left it on the bike, as it’s a lot easier). Knock out the bearings and bushing pop in the replaceement units and bolt it all back together.

You will find that the Atac bearing in your pedals are made from Stainless steel, whereas standard bearings are carbon steel. Stainless bearing will last a long time (like the originals)

I bought some stainless steel bearings from Simply bearings for around £10each

The details are 6x15x5mm ZZ stainless steel double metal shielded.

Also be careful when installing new bearing and tightening nyloc nut, i have broken an axle by overtightening

The details are 6x15x5mm ZZ stainless steel double metal shielded.can also be used on the Atac XS and XE models?

And also where to find replacement bushings for XS and XE models please?
    I too have 2-3 pairs that are wobbling a fair bit and so far my Google Fu has failed to find a solution.

Fill yer boots:
    http://www.igus.co.uk/iPro/iPro_02_0004_0000_GBen.htm?c=GB&l=en
    *Caveat*
    I didn’t order from here and you’ll have to check the dims with a calliper as I chucked mine away. However, this line seemed to fit the performance spec and they def have the size required. IIRC they also have shock eyelet bush sizing in Imperial.

For Atak Carbon XS and Z Control models the bearings are as listed above , 6x15x5mm ZZ stainless steel double metal shielded.

For Atak Carbon XS the bushings are Iglidur product number JSM1014-16, ie a 10mm shaft, through a 16 mm long (14 mm overall diam) bushing. Cost = 3.57 each. Plus £6:00 p+p.
    http://www.igus.co.uk/iPro/iPro_02_0017_0000_GBen.htm?ArtNr=jsm-1014-16&c=GB&l=en

For Z Control the bushings are Iglidur product number JSM1012-15, ie a 10mm shaft, through a 15 mm long (12 mm overall diam) bushing. Cost = 3.42 each. Again, plus £6:00 p+p.
    http://www.igus.co.uk/iPro/iPro_02_0017_0000_GBen.htm?ArtNr=jsm-1014-16&c=GB&l=en

baldman
    Free Member

Useful guide, thanks khani – like the op I’ve got some that are getting a bit wobbly now and couldn’t find service kits.

LoCo
    Free Member

Bust one of the bars on my old atac pedals a few years ago, the kit was almost as exspensive as a set of brand new pedals before I even spent the time fixing them, just bought a new set of pedals

mudmonster
    Free Member

I just bought bushings when mine went wobbly, the bearing was fine. I’ll see if I can find the link to the bushings.

cnud
    Free Member
    dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Looks like I might be able to resurrect some of my pedals. Currently have four pairs that need some love. Might be on stocking up on the bearings and bushings.

khani
    Free Member

Go for it, as long as the spring bars are ok it’s worth doing,
    I got some Atac carbons off eBay for a tenner that were advertised as spares repair, the bearings were like new when I looked inside, a tenner on bushings sorted em right out 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Time MTB pedals – service kits not available?’ is closed to new replies.