Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Time for new wheels?
  • asterix
    Free Member

What makes you buy new wheels, other than because you total them or just because you want something new and shiny?

I have a pair of 10 year old Mavics Ceramics that have been brilliant. Sure they have a bit of wear on the rims (but not much), and the hubs are pretty knackered. Now the free hub has given up -is it time now?

Would you:

strip down and replace the free hub – say a £25 job

Cut the hubs out and have the rims built on new hubs – what a couple of hundred?

Get on a buy a new pair of wheels – maybe 300 to 400 ish

By the way, Anyone know of stocks of 26′ ceramic rims?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Refurbish the hubs for best value.

asterix
    Free Member

Thx Al,

what do you recon, Hope or XT hubs?

scaredypants

are you using rim brakes still ?

it’s a little bit scary when the rim goes – long shard of alminium thrown off, I imaging potentially could hurt you though it did’nt get me either time I’ve managed it

So, if wall is well worn I’d replace the rim too (which means new wheel I guess, for value), otherwise rebuild and crack on

asterix
    Free Member

Call me old fashioned, but yes I’m still on rim brakes – its a retro fully rigid aluminium Cannondale frame – so no opportunity to add disk brakes.

I have split rims before and yes I ended up with big long spiky bits of aluminium sticking out:-)

This is why I ended up with ceramic coated rims because they last much longer, and give better braking too

shortcut

Refurb the hub.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Time for new wheels?’ is closed to new replies.