Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Time for new tyres
  • number18
    Free Member

I currently have Smart Sams on both front and rear wheels, both 2.25. My bike is full sus 120mm travel.

I tend to do a lot of trail centre riding and also some local rides. I find that the grip from Smart Sams are quite poor on a flat corner or one with a reverse camber. Also, the side walls seem quite weak. They do roll fast with the continuous tread down the middle, but I’m not really bothered about that.

I want something that will offer plenty of grip in the bends and will be needed for winter riding.

I’m thinking maybe a 2.4 at the front and 2.1 at the back. Does anyone have any recommendations? Would a different combination of sizes be better?

I’m thinking I may go tubeless too.

I realise this is probably a common topic and to a large extent choices are subjective. However, I’m very interested to know what people would recommend.

Thanks in advance!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Another “what tyres?” 🙂

2.25 (generous 2.25) ADvantages are great but need to be leaned a little to make use of the shoulder, but not as much as a High Roller. A 2.1 on the back would keep weight down a little and cut through the slop.

Maxxis folding tend to tubeless well, just do a bit of research into getting the fit right if you are modifying a normal rim. A 120mm travel bike may not have the clearance for something as fat as a 2.4 with mud room, given Smart Sams are more summery I doubt you’d need anything approaching that wide. A grippier tread should be fine.

There are tons of other options, but these are a good all rounder. You didn’t mention where local is so I went for something neutral. Go for tougher sidewalls if you have rocks locally.

If you’ve got no rocks and lots of mud, Bonty Mud XR are amazing. I had a pair of 2.0 on well into early Summer as they work so well. They tubeless very easily too.

rewski
    Free Member

Mud x rear, storm control front both tubeless and psi -30. Done

Northwind

How slow do you want to go 😉 And how much mud? Specialized Butcher on the front, Purgatory on the back, is a good “do anything” mix, much draggier than some of the other options though and a big difference from the Sams.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Time for new tyres’ is closed to new replies.