Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Time for a wet mud tyre – suggestions?
  • Hallsy
    Free Member

Went out to my usual trails today (Thetford), it was really wet & gloopy, I felt like I had my brakes on all the way around.

In fairness this may be my bike as it felt like this on the way to work after riding the ‘faster’ NRS for a week. Although that does run some pretty fast tyres – Hutchison Python’s.

Anyway, been using 2.35″ 60A HR on the front and 2.0″ Larsen TT on rear. Been happy with this in the dry, and also happy with it around a very wet Afan, but the rear seemed to be struggling in the wet sticky mud today. Sliding not so much of an issue, just felt like it was dragging loads, I’m guessing the small block pattern struggles to shed the mud.

So, any recomendations for a tyre that will roll better in the wet? I can handle a little bit of sliding, just not the feeling of riding through glue!!

BoardinBob

Swampthing

nuke

Mud-X

seanodav
    Free Member

+1 swampthing 😉

glenh
    Free Member

Mud x

stumpy01

Bontrager Mud-X works well at Thetford.
    Continental Edge are pretty good too as they are narrow & cut through the gloop. They aren’t the best over roots though and some bits of Thetford can be a bit hairy with them fitted.

Was it really bad then?? What bits were you riding??
    I was there on Sat morning and it had seem some rain but most of the bits I road were virtually dry. I rode quite a bit of the Brandon side, then headed over the road for a lap of the black before heading back to the Brandon side. Even the black was suprisingly dry. Must have been a lot of rain last night!!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

storm control

TatWink
    Free Member

Mud X

intode_void
    Free Member

Coming up to my 3rd winter on Bonty Mud X and nothing beats them in the mud of N Wales, cut through deep mud and throw it off the treds quite well, occasionally caught out by roots but I think thats more down to me than them! Also they refuse to wear out and I put 30+ miles per week on them

scaredypants

trailraker or mud-x or, if really muddy except where there are wet roots, st swapthings. Expect to die if you have to ride along anything like a road on these though; they drag like a bastard

zangolin
    Free Member

Maxxis Swampthing Super Tacky

Hallsy
    Free Member

Stumpy01 -was pretty bad! had been raining allafternoon, pretty hard at times. We rode the red route and it wasn’t it’s flowy self! loads of standing water and boggy ruts, although gravel berm sections were still riding fine. intended to ride black afterwards, but didn’t bother as guessed it would be even worse!

Must check out brandon side, but I wouldn’t know where to look!

Seems pretty unanimous on the tyre front, I’ll check out the ones mentioned!

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

wet screams all the way!!!!

Stevo210
    Free Member

Im running Intense 909 2.35 and really like them for powering through the gloopy stuff, but they do hang on to mud a little too long I reckon.

I’ve had them nearly a year and ride rough stuff, rocks, roots, drops and haven’t had a puncture yet. Thats got to count for something.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Time for a wet mud tyre – suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.