Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Time for a question to the Spods again. Sharing a printer
  • logical
    Free Member

I’m running Xubuntu linux on both computers. I want to share the printer on the network so both pc’s see it. But is it possible to share it wirelessly through the network too?

freddyg
    Free Member

What model of printer is it? If it isn’t natively wireless enabled, you can get a wifi adapter for a few pounds.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have nothing to add, but I just wanted to salute your use of the word “spods”.

MSP

Indeed, I never realised “spods” was in common usage. I just thought it was a term used where I work.

DezB
    Free Member

I just wish I was spoddy enough to answer

freddyg
    Free Member

Aren’t you an overweight middle aged IT type then DezB? I thought it was a pre-requisite on the entry form?

Cougar

Can’t answer your question as my Linux isn’t up to it, but wanted to pick up on ‘spod’.

Far and away the most common usage I’ve come across is specific to users of Mono, I’ve only very rarely heard it used outside of that context. If someone in the UK aged in their late 30s / early 40s called themselves a spod, I’d put good odds on Mono being either a direct or indirect influence.

sbob
    Free Member

It was popular when I was in primary school ~25yrs ago (Cambridgeshire).

freddyg
    Free Member

Spods (when I were a lad) were specky, swotty, geeky types. A bit like wot I were.

Edit: I haven’t heard of Mono Cougar. I might look at it when I get home.

logical
    Free Member

I’m 34 but not heard of Mono. No idea where I got Spod from. Think it was my father who’s not IT literate at all and in his mid 60’s now.

The printer though is a cheapy HP thing.

freddyg
    Free Member

The printer though is a cheapy HP thing.

Which model?

Cougar

I haven’t heard of Mono Cougar. I might look at it when I get home.

(-: Yell if you need a hand getting started.

One of the things that initially drew me to this forum is that it felt to me very much like Mono in tone. It’s a lot quieter these days of course, but time was that it was my go-to for information in the same way that people use STW now; once of a time, it’d have been rare to have an issue that someone there couldn’t field.

freddyg
    Free Member

Cheers!

logical
    Free Member

Which model?

Had to go and dig it out 😳

Its an HP Deskjet F2280

freddyg
    Free Member

Okay, it doesn’t have built-in wifi capabilities. There are three ways of doing it
    1. connect directly to one of your linux boxes, set-up a print queue and share it. Read this.
    2. splurge on a wireless print server. Like this one.
    3. buy a new printer. Like this one for £45 delivered. Or any of these

molgrips
    Free Member

In my world, the term spod referred exclusively to users of telnet based chat services. Like MUDs without the game.

I have nothing to add to the thread apart from the advice not to buy a cheap printer. You may have the option of adding a bluetooth dongle btw.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Many new wireless routers have USB ports for this very purpose

mogrim

Definitely used “spod” as a kid, similar to “geek” these days.

Squidlord
    Free Member

“Spod” – ’tis a common word, down our way.

Bought a cheap Epson wireless printer at the weekend, and it played nicely with Win 7 with no hassle.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Time for a question to the Spods again. Sharing a printer’ is closed to new replies.