Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Time for a new mattress – which one?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

some people seem to rave about Tempur mattress’s but I am unsure about sleeping on Japanese fish batter.

Do they feel that different to a pocket sprung mattress with a lambs wool over pad? This is what we have. It is basically a mattress with an inch thick lambs wool mattress on top. It was quite comfortable but has now sagged and the lambswool is compacted.

Do these tempur ones keep their shape better?

z1ppy

We’ve had out Tempur matteress for a year now… we spent an afternoon in a bed store trying every matteress for a good 5-10 minutes. The ‘only’ one we could say actually felt any good, when you get straight on was the tempur one, I couldn’t have told you the difference between any of the others.
    I didn’t think any of the other felt bad, just none felt any different or as comfortable, got on the tempur and it’s a different world.

Considering the amount of time you spend in bed, also we both suffered from annoying intermittent back problems, we had no issue deciding which one we were going to buy & it turned out to be a great purchase for us.
    A year on we’ve had no problems with the shape or overheating (a normal complaint), full guarantee for 5 years and then a limited one for upto 15…

Now to win the lottery and afford a superking sized one…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

looking at http://www.ergoflex.co.uk/ at the mo which is a UK online only company and seem reasonably priced. Not sure tho whether to go to memory foam or stick with Pocket Sprung, they kind of mould you into one position I believe (I’m a bit of a tosser 🙂 ).

Will have a look at Tempur now tho (I have a feeling this is going to get expensive)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Wondering if the cheaper memory foam ones will make things hot again (not in a good way) compared to the proper Tempur ones. £1500 for a mattress is not something I want to consider!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s a thread a month or two back, if you do a search for memory foam, you might pick up some further info from that.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Why change from the type you’ve got? You like it, buy another one.

singletracksurfer

join Groupon they keep knocking out bargain offers (down to £250) on memory foam mattresses, hmmmmm comfy.

Bit warmer than our previous foam mattress, but it is good.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

capjohn – just checking if the market has moved on in the last 7 years

Clover

Waterlattex – memory foam type mattress but with a winter and summer side (you can definitely feel the difference). Mine was the best £360 I have spent a couple of years ago.

Thought old age had set in at 36 with creaky back pain until I got it… better in a few nights.

Hope this helps

convert

After a recommendation from here we have just ordered a mattress from these guys. Seem really good to deal with so far (not arrived yet) and if nothing else, spend a bit of time on their site to educate yourself before making a purchase elsewhere.

We went for a King sized Origins latex 1500 – thick latex layer over a pocket sprung core for £695. They will take it away for free if you don’t like it apparently which is useful. Latex seems to have the benefits of memory foam without the heat issue. Normally only on £2K + beds at normal retail places.

their thoughts on tempur – is it really any better than generic memory foam or just a fancy trade name vigorously defended?

and more about generic memory foam

One thing it does say somewhere on their site is that mattresses will change and get softer as they get older so what feels right for that 5 min test in the shop will not necessarily feel the same in a year or two. Also, dents are to be expected (20mm is the normal expected above which it might be a warranty issue) and will be more noticeable the better the bed as on a really cheap bed you are essentially sleeping on the springs so very little comfort layer to compress.

convert

Can I just add to my post above that one of my main motivations for going to Factory Beds Direct was that (with the notable exception of the nice people at Feather and Black) bed shops seem to have become the new receptical of pseudo science spouting shiny suited cock weasels previously the property of 2nd hand car salerooms and double glazing firms.

brakes
    Free Member

important considerations for me:
    1 – firm
    2 – cool
    3 – your movements don’t impact any one else in the bed (pocket springs)

in my opinion you only need to spend more than £6-700 (Kingsize) if you’re knackered, fat, old or all three.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Memory foam is nice, bit warm in summer and bit hard for some.

Xylene
    Free Member

Went to a local bedshop last week – entered and was asked if I needed any help, told them no thanks was just having a look.
    Went to the first bed picked up the label to read it, lady came over, that I had just said not thanks to started spouting nonsense about pocket counts.
    Told her again that I wasn’t interested at all in any help and was just looking.
    Moved onto the next bed to be followed again and given more information about the bed.
    At this point I decided enough was enough and started dismantling the display. Turning the mattress over, pulling out the divan base turning it upside down checking it over thoroughly.
    Left it all over the place moved to the next one, started again pulling the mattress off, checking the bases mattress etc.
    she got the message and stayed to sort out the displays, I had a quick look at the rest of the store and left.

Really bugged me that did.

busydog
    Free Member

We have had a Tempurpedic for 5 years and wouldn’t have anything else.
    In that time, it has stayed perfectly flat, no identations. Never need to turn it (although I do rotate it about every 6 months).
    We put a sheeps wool mattress pad on it which we really like.
    One person can get in and out of bed and the other not even feel it.
    One downside is price and (here in the US anyway), hard to get much of a discount price anywhere.

mrlugz
    Free Member

+1 for tempur.

Had ours for over 7 years now, will not hesitste replacing it with another when it eventually wears out.

If you reckon on it lasting 15 years you are looking at around 30p per night for a comfy kip.

By the way ours is looking, I have no reason to think it wont last another 7.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Get a Tempur matress. Approved by NASA aren’t they so you can’t go wrong, thats what there adds claim anyway lol.

brakes
    Free Member

in 15 years, you will have been sweating and stinking in it for 4 years.
    not sure I’d want a mattress for that long…

footflaps

We had a Sealy Posturpedic, which was really good, but when we upgraded the bed frame to a King Size, we couldn’t get the Sealy ones in the Habitat (Euro) sizes, so went for a generic pocket spring one as the choice in the Euros sizes was pretty limited.

TomB

Really pleased with our V-spring if you don’t go down the tempur route. We ‘invested’ a lot for us at the time (>£1000) but have never regretted. The only danger I found with mattress shopping was that every time I laid on the next price band up, I couldn’t imagine buying the cheaper ones I’d just been perfectly happy with!

devilman
    Free Member

+1 for tempur. I am tight as a very tight thing, but would buy another with out a second thought.
    Dm

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Time for a new mattress – which one?’ is closed to new replies.