Time for a new granny ring, 22t, 24t or 26t?

Home Forum Bike Forum Time for a new granny ring, 22t, 24t or 26t?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Time for a new granny ring, 22t, 24t or 26t?
  • Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

26 tooth is for a compact double (I don’t think it will fit a triple but could be wrong).

24 tooth is good, it means you don’t have to make a correction change at the rear when dropping down to the granny ring.

Will make sure I measure the distance between bolts but the CRC website lists as follows:

Outer Chainring (44-48): aluminium
    Middle Chainring (36-32) steel composite
    Inner Chainring (22-26) aluminium

So would’ve thought it’s 3 ring compatible?

24 tooth is good, it means you don’t have to make a correction change at the rear when dropping down to the granny ring.

Does this mean that when you change on to the granny there isn’t such a big jump between gears? – I usually have to drop a couple on the back to stop my legs hitting warp speed…

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Does this mean that when you change on to the granny there isn’t such a big jump between gears? – I usually have to drop a couple on the back to stop my legs hitting warp speed…

Yep exactly that.

Check your chainstay clearance if you go bigger. Chainsuck can be result of not enough clearance and it makes a mess of the chainstay

Check your chainstay clearance if you go bigger. Chainsuck can be result of not enough clearance and it makes a mess of the chainstay

Cheers, that hadn’t even occurred to me before you mentioned it.

So final question – CRC/Merlin seem to do an XT ring for around £12-£13, anyone spotted any cheaper deals inc. postage when looking around recently?

Or alternatively, should I just stick a Deore ring on there for the winter since it’ll get mashed in the gopping conditions.

willyboy

Deore steel. They last forever.

I have a 22t on the bike at the moment (3×9) which needs replacing.

Went online to have a look at what my options for replacement are and see that i could have a few more teeth on there. I understand that more teeth will mean that the granny is harder to push.

Is there any benefit from moving from 22 to 24 or 26? Is there much of a different?

Or should I just stick with what I have?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Time for a new granny ring, 22t, 24t or 26t?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top