Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Time for a new granny ring, 22t, 24t or 26t?
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I have a 22t on the bike at the moment (3×9) which needs replacing.

Went online to have a look at what my options for replacement are and see that i could have a few more teeth on there. I understand that more teeth will mean that the granny is harder to push.

Is there any benefit from moving from 22 to 24 or 26? Is there much of a different?

Or should I just stick with what I have?

MSP

26 tooth is for a compact double (I don’t think it will fit a triple but could be wrong).

24 tooth is good, it means you don’t have to make a correction change at the rear when dropping down to the granny ring.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Will make sure I measure the distance between bolts but the CRC website lists as follows:

Outer Chainring (44-48): aluminium
    Middle Chainring (36-32) steel composite
    Inner Chainring (22-26) aluminium

So would’ve thought it’s 3 ring compatible?

24 tooth is good, it means you don’t have to make a correction change at the rear when dropping down to the granny ring.

Does this mean that when you change on to the granny there isn’t such a big jump between gears? – I usually have to drop a couple on the back to stop my legs hitting warp speed…

MSP

Does this mean that when you change on to the granny there isn’t such a big jump between gears? – I usually have to drop a couple on the back to stop my legs hitting warp speed…

Yep exactly that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Check your chainstay clearance if you go bigger. Chainsuck can be result of not enough clearance and it makes a mess of the chainstay

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Check your chainstay clearance if you go bigger. Chainsuck can be result of not enough clearance and it makes a mess of the chainstay

Cheers, that hadn’t even occurred to me before you mentioned it.

So final question – CRC/Merlin seem to do an XT ring for around £12-£13, anyone spotted any cheaper deals inc. postage when looking around recently?

Or alternatively, should I just stick a Deore ring on there for the winter since it’ll get mashed in the gopping conditions.

willyboy
    Free Member

Deore steel. They last forever.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Time for a new granny ring, 22t, 24t or 26t?’ is closed to new replies.