• This topic has 74 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ontor.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Time for a 'favourite bird' thread
  • SaxonRider

I have started a thread like this in the past, but it has been a very long time. And besides, on this chilly January day, I am feeling wistful for the days when I would sit in a friend’s cabin in the Canadian woods and we would watch the birds on the branches of the pine trees outside.

I absolutely loved the evening grosbeaks and their beautiful yellow plumage, as well as their red cousins, the pine grosbeaks.

Evening grosbeak:

Pine grosbeak:

What are yours?

scotroutes

Oyster Catcher and Lapwing

Both just remind me of holidays – from being a toddler, right up to now.

I get a real lift hearing my first lapwing every year. It’s a sure sign that spring is here and summer is to follow.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJhNWrl6JE[/video]

SaxonRider

Nice, scotroutes, even if you did make me have to look them up! 😉

Lapwing:

Oyster Catcher:

EDIT: Oops. I saw your video too late.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Bald Eagles. I’ve had the great good fortune to have been in North America a fair bit in 2016, and have just been gobsmacked by them. Soaring over the Squamish River in BC, and mooching along the Mississippi Barrier Islands in the sunshine. Just incredible.:-)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Favourite ? Hmmm, tricky because there are too many. I’m not a fan of birds of prey, in more your local environment bird lover.. so Lapwings feature highly, Bitterns too, plenty of Waders, but I have encouraged these fellas into my garden over the last 4 years, before that I’d only see Blackbirds and Pidgeons, now I have Robins, Wrens, Collared Doves, Blue Tits and… Goldfinches.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Lapwings or Peewits as I know them are great to watch, the fly like they do it for fun.

Oystercatchers are hard b’stards though. I’ve watched them fend off dogs, foxes and humans. Although friends of mine used to have a farmhouse which was patrolled by a menacing Pheasant called “Alan” it was right nutter and would try and stop people getting their cars.

Curlew’s are another favourite of mine..

stevied
    Free Member

Love these little chaps.

alexxx
    Free Member

Boobies… because… Boobies

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Owls are my favourite but my favourite sound is the Curlew, especially in summer when I’m alone on the moors & theyr’e calling. Brilliant.

colournoise

Used to be the Kestrel, but since we moved a couple of years ago it’s got to be this one. Loads of them round here, and pretty much a companion on every local walk or ride.

(not my photo)

Bregante

Great Spotted Woodpecker

There’s one at the minute in a country park down the road from us. Unbelievably loud knocking – the Mrs didn’t believe me when I told her what it was but then a park ranger confirmed it and pointed out its nest.

That’s a nice pair of boobies too alexxx.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I like dunnocks. They are quite introverted and reclusive but have a lovely grey/blue chest plumage.

ninfan
    Free Member

Boobies… because… Boobies

I was going to respond to that, then I made the mistake of performing a google image search for Tetrao tetrix by its common name…

Muke
    Free Member

Heron

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don’t like the gannet. They wet their nests.

wallop

All of them!

I do love a owl though (and you have to pronounce it “a owl”).

Esme
    Free Member

The kingfisher, even though they seem to be quite common these days.

Esme
    Free Member

Bregante, have you been in the cafe at Tockholes? The one-way window is brilliant for viewing birds close-up, and woodpeckers often visit the feeding station.

bearnecessities

Owl here too.

Baby!

mogrim

Love watching these guys circle in groups above the local mountains:

(Black vulture)

mikedabear
    Free Member

Goldies for me. I love their song. In fact I have a preference for song birds.

Drac

Who doesn’t love a.

Apparently the lads tell me the wife had one of these when are was younger but her parents didn’t seem to know.

matt_outandabout

I love to see Merlin’s – a few round here, zipping along at speed.
    An Osprey is also something special.
    In the garden it has to be our resident Wrens and Goldfinches.

dannyh
    Free Member

Too many to choose from, but at the moment probably this:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drac, your coat…..

Drac

Sorry. She still has these.

tenfoot

LOL at Finbarr Saunders up there.

We have a robin in our garden that has been known to sit on my bike when it’s out in the back garden. Lovely little bird.

Kuco

Love seeing these at work.

And often see these locally if i’m out at the right time of day/night

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Long Tailed Tits. They used to gather in a bush outside my office window each morning, wait for the sparrows to arrive and rumble them.
    [video]https://youtu.be/pBGp25R6nBY[/video]

nedrapier

Any other birds you don’t like, CFH?

nedrapier

We’ve recently had a song thrush or two hanging round our garden. Lovely to hear them sing. And a wren. And a bullfinch.

We’ve been doing a fair bit of work in the garden, and robins have been a great moral support. I’m sure they’re entirely in it for themselves, but it’s good to have them around.

So robins for me. Might even be just the one robin. I’ve never seen more than one at a time. He followed us up round Hurt Hill and the Punchbowl this evening too, saw him a few times. 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

I just love having a couple of tits on my nuts.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Is that baby owl for real?
    That’s the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

bubs

House sparrows, Kestrels and now:

shinton
    Free Member

For me its all about the sound rather than the looks and I’m lucky to have the following around the house at various times of the year:
    1. Owls – very difficult to see.
    2. Woodpeckers – quite difficult to see, and heard one today as I was composting the Christmas tree.
    3. Canada geese – can’t miss the blighters

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

One of these likes the thread, the other’s getting bored…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Philippine Eagle, hands down. It is considered the largest of the extant eagles in the world in terms of length and wing surface.

I’ve been honoured enough to see one in the wild over Quezon National Park.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Always like a nice pair

More seriously, best one I’ve taken a shot of

[url=https://flic.kr/p/84MuW7]Curious Goldfinch[/url]

fergal
    Free Member

The Crow

To hatch a crow, a black rainbow…
    bent in emptiness over emptiness… but flying.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Tom_W, that is one mean looking creature!

& Kenny, that’s a cracking shot.

An ex boss of mine (one of the few I’ve ever had time for) takes some outstanding wildlife photo’s. He’s on FB but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post a link?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Time for a 'favourite bird' thread’ is closed to new replies.