• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pdV6.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Time Atac pedals, broken springs
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Odd one this, commuting to work this morning after crashing into another snowdrift i remounted and found i couldn’t clip in. On investigation one of the retaining bars had snapped where it mounts onto the “pivot bar”

Fine these things happen.

A little later went to clip into the other pedal and the same thing had happened???

They are a pair of circa 2 year old XC2’s, has anyone else experienced this?? any ideas why, not really cold, they don’t get that much use and i am not that hard on equipement.

13thfloormonk

I think it’s a known weakness with the cheaper Times, the springs are less well finished (think they’re pressed steel instead of moulded). Leaves them more prone to breaking and I guess the cold, or maybe compacted ice in your cleats? was enough to break them.

I got mine replaced under warranty, and perhaps because I asked about the springs, they sent me some XC2s, but with moulded spring arches a-la the more expensive models.

Have been fine since.

carlos
    Free Member

Not had a spring break like that, but have had a loose bar (the front one). Pedals were only 5 months old so were exchanged under warranty no problem.

No idea why its happened like it has for you mind. Seems like it wasn’t from wear and tear

otsdr
    Free Member

I have two pairs of ATACs (basic from 2010, carbon from 2012), I haven’t had any issues with them yet.

Thought I’d treat myself to some Mavic branded XC12 (Carbon-Ti) that were discounted, now I’m starting to think it was a mistake? I never really liked the look of the XC redesign.

imn

Had this a few weeks ago on a set of 1-2 year old XC2s with square profile spring bars. Replaced with another set and I can see that the spring bar has changed from square to more of a round, as it was on earlier versions.

13thfloormonk

I don’t think so otsdr, the more expensive ones have better finished ‘arches’ on the springs, hopefully less prone to breaking.

My sample of two pairs, one with the cheap arch and one with the moulded arch, backs this up (not very scientific though!).

Also Merlin warrantied mine, I guess if your pedals are all chewed and manky they might have grounds to argue it was a rock strike, but mine were in pretty good nick.

edit: ^ what imn said

happybiker
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of xc4’s, one broke after about 6 months of infrequent use just as I was setting off for a ride. Got a new pair under warranty, not sure if they’ve updated the springs in the cheaper models?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s quite common on modern ATACs, my 2006 Carbon XS still going strong.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Mine are looking a bit thin, the top part of the bars are flattening off, but they’re about 4 years old and have seen alot of use and abuse. I think their quality has dropped off over recent years, I bought a pair of attics for another bike and the bar the spring is wrapped around came loose and slit out. It was an interference fit onto the pedal body so not easy to fix. If you think you can disassemble the pedals to replace the spring i’d be happy to give you the springs from these pedals? (assuming I still have them in my spares drawer, I think I do).

oikeith

OP I have a few pairs of spare Time Atac pedals which I keep meaning to shift, drop me a PM if interested.

pdV6
    Free Member

I’ve never broken a spring on Times but did buy some Mavics a couple of years ago when I couldn’t find Times and did recently break one of those.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Time Atac pedals, broken springs’ is closed to new replies.