Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Time Atac, going down the pan? (anyone tried once and got an old 'new' set?)
  • spooky_b329

I’m a long timer user of Time MTB pedals, always loved them, all my bikes have them fitted.

Just asked for a new set for Christmas, asked for the MX4’s. I didn’t realise how big they were, they are like full cage versions and I didn’t get on with a previous variant as they interfere with winter boots when clipping in.

So I went straight for the XC6…until I saw a whole internet of users complaining about cheap build quality across the range, cheaper spring bars snapping, pedals falling apart, composite bodies snapping, and repeated warranty repairs/replacements.

So it looks as though there is no reliable replacement option for my aluminium bodied Aliums or composite ROC S pedals 🙁 Anyone else run into this issue?

And as an aside, anyone got very good condition ‘old model’ pedals lying in their garage, perhaps you tried Time and then switched back to shimano or another brand? You can identify the older models as each spring bar is coiled into a spring at both ends, the latest models have a single spring under the bar and the other end braces against the pedal body.

Atac S, Aliums etc are on my ‘proven’ list.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Another long term user..still going strong on an ATAC carbon set ..bought second hand a couple of years back ..previous alum sets ..
    Hadn’t realised the complaints on the new..so what is the alternative ?

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Just buy them and if they break warranty them. Got old sets over 10 years old and new sets 2 and 1 year old of low and mid end xc models and none have missed a beat yet.

qwerty
    Free Member

Check out the Look range of pedals as an alternative. Similar design.

spooky_b329

I don’t think there is. The MX range is still reliable but they are basically combined clipless and caged pedals, they are huge 🙁

Love Time pedals, I can’t swap out 4 bikes worth of pedals (I wear the same selection of summer/winter shoes on all my bikes) especially when they might sort the quality out for the next refresh of the range.

spooky_b329

mickyfinn…what models have you got? XC4/XC6/XC8 range are the ones giving the issues and they are breaking mid-ride rather than just going sloppy.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Yup the new ones are all xc’s one pair of 2’s and one pair of 4’s with no issues. Old ones are composite atac’s

qwerty
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of new XC8’s, one sets been fine, the other had the pressed in bar that runs through the spring become dislodged. I used a retaining compound on it and it’s been fine since.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

The downside of the internet is 100’s of happy users don’t write reviews but the 10 unlucky ones do. I try not to worry that’s what warranties are for

thecaptain
    Free Member

I got a couple of cheap sets recently, badged as mavic (someone mentioned it on here). Seem fine but obviously haven’t been used for long!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Pretty sure I’ve got a pair of almost unused Aliums and probably some ROCs that are not in use I could sell you. I’m after some MXs for my winter bike so could work out well.

Drop me a mail as per profile. I’m away until 29th so can’t check until then.

spooky_b329

Thats a fair comment micky, especially when talking about forum rants, but when you are looking at wiggle or CRC the reviews are usually weighted towards the 5 star end of the scale due to people being invited to leave a review…when you see a middling 3-4 rating and a full range of 1-5 star reviews, something ain’t right. Wiggle still sell the MX range with the old style design, but don’t list the XC range…its a current model so I can only assume they are not happy with the number of pedals coming back.

spooky_b329

Thanks Simon, I have already returned the MX ones (they were MX6 in white) but I’ll send you a message for when you get back 🙂

jonnyrockymountain

I run a have had a set of xc8 for approx 18 month and no problems at all, and a set of the Mavic branded ones (which apparently are the same as xc6) for about 12 months and again no problems. They are excellent pedals would recommend

happybiker
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of xc4’s and a set of xc8’s which I recently got fairly cheap from Germany. One of the xc4’s broke a spring which was warrantied by Wiggle. The replacement pair looks the same I think. After years on Eggbeaters I’ll never go back!

13thfloormonk

I had some XC2s fail me pretty quick, the arch snapped mid-ride.

Merlin replaced under warranty and the new set came with the moulded arch rather than the cheaper stamped arch.

Half an exceptionally muddy CX season later and they’re still going strong.

I was sure the XC4s and upward came with the moulded bar as stock.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’ve always loved my Time Atacs they are usually bombproof but really dislike the newer square bar type as I find them more awkward to clip into than the slightly bigger target and more forgiving entry of the round bar types.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve got XC8’s on my HT and roadbike. The only problem I’ve had is the pin holding the clip into the pedal body creeping out on the HT. I drifted it back in and used some studlock to hold it in. It would need attention about once a month but eventually the plastic body fractured. But the replacement pair have been fine.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I have the XC ATAC ones on my Roadrat, about 3 years old and some Control Z platform ones on my MTB which are about 5 years old now but sadly discontinued. Both still going very strong. My mate replaced his getting on for 10 year old Control Z’s a couple of years ago with the plastic caged ones and he’s had no issues with them so far.

Looking at my Control Z’d, a flat has been worn on the top of the cleat so I anticipate that will cause the cleat to snap at some point. Could last another couple of years or not so starting to think about replacing. I really want to stick with Time, so much better than SPD’s in my experience. If I had to change systems I’d go for Crank Brothers I think. A very similar system, but mates who use them seem to be always having to change bearings. What a faff. I’ve never had to service pedals on any bike I’ve ever owned and not prepared to start now. But at least the cleat system seems to be very similar to Time.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Got some XC6 (newer version). Used them on the gravel bike for about 6 months now and had no issue until I tried to adjust the tension. The plastic screw just disintegrated 🙁

spooky_b329

wobbliscott, if you get on with the Control Z’s then the MX range is a composite version and from memory, looks very similar, and they are still the old spring design.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will try and work out which model is the newer XC6 and considering giving it a go if its improved over the earlier ones.

ta11pau1

My ROC carbon ATAC pedals circa 2008/9, got them when I had my fixed gear bike in Bristol, they haven’t been used in a few years, will be going on a hardtail MTB in a month or 2.

I’ll have to have a read up if I ever but a second pair, didn’t realise they had issues!

Del

sad to say i’ve had a bar break during a ride on newer pair. had some of the lower end mx ones too, but both sets i had were out of true so they went back. not impressed as they’re not terribly cheap compared to shimano offerings.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Just get some Eggbeaters!
    Ha ha!
    Waiting for the comeback!
    (I have used them for years with no issues whatsoever by the way).
    Max

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Time Atac, going down the pan? (anyone tried once and got an old 'new' set?)’ is closed to new replies.