Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Timber 2.4 by 1.2 m desk tops?
  • hamsolo
    Free Member

Doing a bit of a redesign of the office at home and fancy a raised desk 2.4 by 1.2 m sat on a pair of chest of drawers.
    I fancy oak, and have found these to build it from, but any other ideas / suggestions?

http://www.timberclick.com/index.php/midlands/new-oak-sleeper-boards-planks-2-4m.html

Ta

kayak23

‘Green Oak’….as in, unseasoned.
    They’ll need drying out for about oh…two years maybe…or Kiln drying.

toppers3933
    Free Member

and they’ll need planing down once they are kiln dried/seasoned. you’d be much better off with some good quality decoratively faced ply. lathams or somewhere like that would be able to supply it. not cheap though.

maccruiskeen

if you want that sort of thickness, but something smooth enough to work on you could use two 600mm oak stave worktops, jointed in the middle with a biscuit jointer. Possibly a bit spendy compared to a bunch of rough old sleepers. Ikea stave worktops are pretty cheap though.

hamsolo
    Free Member

Oops, should have thought about the green bit.
    Will look at ikea kitchen work tops.
    Any other suggestions? Oak only ply looks quite nice.

Stoner
    Free Member

These are two oak stave work tops I biscuited together to make a kitchen island:

Got them from eBay supplier. Cheapish and fast delivery.
    WIll have a look for you.

EDIT: earwigo
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/the.chippy.shop/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

hamsolo
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner, I’ll have a look.

nickjb
    Free Member

I made a bar from some of those oak sleepers. They had about 18 months of seasoning. A plane, sand and oiling and it looked great. Really nice grain. About 75mm thick.

br
    Free Member

and Aldi were selling biscuit jointers recently

At that size/scale either kitchen worktops or for real cheap just use sheet MDF and then seal and paint. I made a hobby-desk for my MIL, 2m*1m; used mdf and biscuited wood edges on and then routered/rounded them off.

kayak23

I hate to say it, but you’ve always got Ikea Beech Worktops which can be ok. I fitted a kitchen with one which has been fine, though my mum keeps buying their chopping boards which always turn into boomarangs as soon as you get them home. Must be made from some horrendously fast-growing stock…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Timber 2.4 by 1.2 m desk tops?’ is closed to new replies.