Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tiling, what direction?
  • JCornford

I have got some large rectangular porcelain tiles for the floor and walls of my bathroom and I was wondering what direction to lay the floor tiles? The room is a rectangle and the wall tiles will be landscape, how shall I lay the floor tiles, width ways or length ways? In other words the same as the long wall or the short wall? I hope that makes sense? It it makes any difference the bathroom is off the Kitchen which has exposed floor boards (bathroom has a concrete floor) would you follow the direction of the floor boards?

Is there a right and wrong way or is it personal preference and what are your thought?

sv

Whatever involves less cutting is my rule of thumb!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

You dont say which way the florboards run in relation to the long and short walls or where the door is in relation to the footprint of the room. AFAIK most tilers would set out long / long but no hard and fast rules really. Either way you will have grout lines running parallel with your floorboards.

Setting long across short wall will appear to widen the room – I'd set some up dry and go with what you feel looks best.

Oh, and buy square next time 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

sv makes agood point – you dont want to be left with slivers down each side. As I say set it out

JCornford

They run the same direction as the short walls. The door is on the long wall with the bath and nothing else to the right, in other words the tiling starts at the door and goes left.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tiling, what direction?’ is closed to new replies.