Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tiling costs
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Evening all.

Quick question. We have a potentially tricky bit of tiling needing doing. On the same wall as the bath is situated lengthways, the previous owners have filled in a window, put in a steel above and then tiled the resulting rebate, using shonky DIY mosaic sheet. This extends round to the wall at the head of the bath with the shower on it. The whole area to be tiled is in the region of 9.6m2.

We’ve been trying to get local tilers to quote, but most don’t return calls and one turned up, sucked his teeth and then didn’t return our calls. Most recent fella came and gave us a quote of £1,600 ex materials.

Now, I don’t want to denigrate a tradesman but that seemed extremely high to me for a small area, albeit a bit trickily laid out.

I appreciate he’ll have to remove the tiles, make good the boarding underneath, and relay, but still – does that sound pricey, or is it just me?

bearnecessities

That’s a horrific price!

You probably need to get the offending area sorted out and skimmed, just to sort out all the ‘unkowns’. Then expect a more realistic quote from a tiler.

If you’re near Leeds I have the number of an extremely skilled tiler.

Jakester
    Free Member

That’s very kind, but sadly we’re in Bath, which is part of the problem – there’s so much ‘high-end’ work (millionaires constantly ripping out and re-doing their travertine marble bathrooms) that it’s very difficult to find anyone interested in a relatively small job.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

DIY it?

bearnecessities

Good tilers are expensive, and worth it IME.

Can you rip out what’s there and get a plasterer in to make good? That kind of stuff isn’t worth paying the going rate for a tiler, and they probably don’t want to – hence ‘CBA’ quote.

Jakester
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    DIY it?

Would that I could, but I’m barely competent at simple tasks, and this is too convoluted for the simpleton – witnessed by the pig’s ear the previous owners made of it.

Jakester
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Good tilers are expensive, and worth it IME.

Can you rip out what’s there and get a plasterer in to make good? That kind of stuff isn’t worth paying the going rate for a tiler, and they probably don’t want to – hence ‘CBA’ quote.

Maybe worth thinking about. Agreed they’re worth it, it’s finding one!

Cheers all.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I tiled 6m2 at the weekend. £100.

bearnecessities

Have a sticker.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Most recent fella came and gave us a quote of £1,600 ex materials.

I’ve just got a quote to get our downstairs loo done, fit wall hung toilet and assosciates cistern, fit wall hung wash basin, fit new radiator, none of which are straight forward as they involve lifting the floor, shifting wastes, removing plasterboard wall to bolt the toilet frame to the wall. Also fully tile the room floor and ceiling. Quote is £1635 excluding tiles, rad and sanitary ware.

I tiled 6m2 at the weekend. £100.

Swoon.

andyl
    Free Member

If you are ripping off tiles above the bath then gets lot of cardboard (several layers thick) and old towels to protect the bath from falling tiles.

(thought that might be useful given your reply to my DIY suggestion)

nickewen
    Free Member

That’s way over the odds. Got any pics? Can you not rip out as suggested above and board it? Boarding is better than getting it skimmed anyway as it can hold a greater weight and should be flatter to ease tiling, plus u can do it yourself as oppose to getting a professional plasterer. Dot and dab onto masonry is not too difficult.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Seems a lot. Did he give you any idea of timescale, would be interested in working out his day rate.

In all likelihood he’s probably taken a look at it decided it’s a proper ball ache and is pricing it so high in the hope that he doesn’t get it or if he does he can but up with it because he’ll be making a killing.

Jakester
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member
    Seems a lot. Did he give you any idea of timescale, would be interested in working out his day rate.

In all likelihood he’s probably taken a look at it decided it’s a proper ball ache and is pricing it so high in the hope that he doesn’t get it or if he does he can but up with it because he’ll be making a killing.

I think he said two to three days. I suspect you’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s not straightforward by any means, but I am tending to get that sinking feeling…(no plumbing pun intended).

Stedlocks
    Free Member

He clearly doesn’t want/need the job and was slinging a big price in, in the remote chance you would say ‘yes’.
    As well as my full time job, I am a tiler with many years experience, and am always in demand because of the job I do, and more importantly, the care I take to ensure its to the customer’s satisfaction…..old fashioned, I know, but that’s how I roll!
    Unfortunately, you’re too far from me, or I would come and have a look and give you a warts an all appraisal.

What I would say, is go to your local fire station, and ask if ‘they know’ anyone who would be willing to have a look ;0)

wallop

So he wants £800 a day for his time? That equates to a salary of over £200k a year – I’m glad that rang your alarm bells!

mooman
    Free Member

Ask at your local fire station??? Why would you do that? So some DIY-er can have a go?

Better bet would be asking my at a local plumbing centre for a tiler.

Jakester
    Free Member

mooman – Member
    Ask at your local fire station??? Why would you do that?

I believe it was a slightly tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that some firemen ‘moonlight’ when not on shift…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tiling costs’ is closed to new replies.