Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tilgate forest trails wrecked!
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

Anybody else been up in tilgate forest this week? There must have been some kind of motorbiking event there, the trails are all completely chewed up full of huge ruts. A lot of the nice singletrack seems to have been ruined.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

🙁

Do you recall the Mojo guy interview in Singletrack a while back? He was moaning that MTBers should be friendly with the trail bike and 4×4 community because we share the need for trail access.

But this sort of thing makes a mockery of that don’t it.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s been like that for a while which is why a few guys who build the DH trails there are negotiating with the forestry commission to lease a portion of the land which will be closed off to all traffic other than bike.

I was there on Sunday and there were sections that were cut up but all the dh trails were still intact and MOST sections of singletrack (at least the ones I rode) seemed fine.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I’m going up there again today, so i’ll see if i can get some incriminating pics. But i have a feeling this was an organised event, which somehow makes it worse. If they ran the event in wet conditions the ground is bound to get screwed up. I am doubting they will be repairing it… but i guess they could surprise me….

The singletrack seciton i was riding is a long section, on the west side, it finishes just next to the western bridge

Bazz

I was up there the day of the event after it had finished, i think it was organised as they had porta-loos by the main road and they do have organised MX events quite regulary, usualy they don’t cause to much mess however this time they seem to have turned up with a “it’s ours to destroy” attitude and totaly ruined it for walkers, MTB’s and horse riders, basically all the other users of the forest, went up again last night and while it was a bit better it was still hard to ride and the flow was gone, i can only suggest mass complaints to the forestry commision in the hope that they limit the size and number of MX events held there. Oh and hello all new here, glad to see other Tilgate riders on the forum 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

i can only suggest mass complaints to the forestry commision in the hope that they limit the…

access to mtb’ers as the muddy trails spoil it for walkers and annoy the dobbins/sugar-lumps?

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Hi there Bazz!

I think the idea of mass complaints is great. Any idea who we should complain to, is it just the forestry commission?

catnash
    Free Member

Same with certain parts of Brechfa, You should see the mess left after one of the motorbike enduros’. Definately a miss-match of motorbikes and forest trails.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone else see the hypocrisy in this? MTB riding and organised events cause damage to the trails as well – but thats OK? I have seen paths totally churned up by all sorts of countryside users – including mountainbikers.

Is this area something special – site of outstanding natural beauty? SSSI?

this was an organised event with permissions – and note bazz – it will have been an enduro not MX.

Jeezo the moaning on here is too much sometime.

Moans that an organised motorbike event has damaged the trails, moans that horses damage trails, moans that ramblers get in the way, moans when trails are repaired ‘cos the MTBers like them all eroded away ( which is no good for other users)

Really – you need to get a grip and learn to share. Its a small island and many people want to have their leisure in the countryside

aP
    Free Member

Where would Thetford trails have come from without Enduro events?

flipiddy
    Free Member

Yes agree with TJ, this could easily be a similar post on a rambler’s forum complaining about mtbers on their favourite trails.

Also agree with the comment above regarding Thetford 🙂

Live and let live?

mikey74
    Free Member

I think the difference is that mx bikes do far more damage than any other form of land user, to a point where practically no one else can use the trails. I have never seen mtbs do that.

nickc

Jeezo the moaning on here is too much sometime.

Oh. The. Irony.

twelveski
    Free Member

Was there the day of the event and could not see any real problem. This is the first time in two years that the foresty have allowed them to run the event, so its not that often!
    Also most of the singletrack up there is there as a result of past events and i saw a few bits they were using that will be lovely in a few months once it starts packing down again.

woodsman
    Free Member

It gets like that every year, with the exception being 2008, the motorcycle enduro was cancelled for some reason. There is a thread on it from one of the organisers over at Sussexmuddy@arse if you’re interested in the whys and wheres – bit of history too.

I ought to get over there for a reccy, in the next couple of weeks as I’m hosting a ride, which takes in Tilgate as well as other lesser known parts! Pretty much guess what to expect.

STATO
    Free Member

I think the difference is that mx bikes do far more damage than any other form of land user, to a point where practically no one else can use the trails. I have never seen mtbs do that.

You should see trails after a muddy mtb enduro race, they are usually unwalkable nevermind unrideable.

EDIT: Not to mention the damage horses do to soft ground.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone else see the hypocrisy in this? MTB riding and organised events cause damage to the trails as well – but thats OK? I have seen paths totally churned up by all sorts of countryside users – including mountainbikers.

Quite right! You should hear the amount of grief I get from local Nimby’s when I take my T55 Tank for a spin in the local woods. I can’t personally hear them cos of the ear defenders, but they look pretty animated!.
    What’s more they’re all **** hyprocites having a go at me! They complain that i’m destroying the woods with my tank tracks and crushing trees, but i’ve seem them out walking through the bluebells trampling them underfoot. Selfish feckers, why can’t they see there’s no difference and learn to share.

alexpalacefan

LOL at Ian, good point chap

A

mikey74
    Free Member

You should see trails after a muddy mtb enduro race, they are usually unwalkable nevermind unrideable.

Well I personally don’t think trails should be used when they are that wet. Anything will destroy saturated trails.

I totally agree about horses: It has been proven that they do more damage than walkers and bikes, but probably not mx bikes.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

With the great weather the trails are running nice and firm, and the damage doesn’t seem quite so bad now, although the big tyre ruts the moto’s have cut are occasionally a nightmare to get around and as many of the ruts go up past my hubs, it can be painful when you get caught. I have been in contact with the the local FC guy who has said the moto enduro people are contracted to repair any damage they made, although i haven’t seen any evidence of it yet.

If anybody want to complain about the damage / motorbike usage there main FC contact is enquiries.seefd@forestry.gsi.gov.uk I do have the direct contact for the local Tilgate officer if anybody wants it send me an email, (i won’t post it on here though) the local officer seems opposed to further Motorbike / enduro useage, but i guess if he is given more ammunition this could help..

Apparently there will be lots of tree felling coming up in the summer anyhow so this trail damage might pale into insiginificance once it gets going. However with new downhill sections being built things might improve in tilgate in the future.

BTW is anybody on here part of the new Tilgate DH group?

a couple of rut pics..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tilgate forest trails wrecked!’ is closed to new replies.