Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • tilers – what spacers for large wall tiles
  • petrieboy

I’m going to do our shower room with 300mmx600mm porcelain tiles (these ones) with a rectified edge. i’d like neat grout lines but appreciate that these are inexpensive tiles so might not be 100% regular in sizing. also i’m relatively inexperienced.

so what spaces should i be using?

smartboy
    Free Member

Does the spacing it impact anything other than just aesthetics?

petrieboy

not that i can think of. i’ll be making cuts regardless

nealglover
    Free Member

Any spacers will do. Whatever size grout line you want really.

Don’t try and put the + shaped ones in the corners though and leave them in.

Use them as shown here, and take them out before grouting.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Incase unsure, you may want to put some batten horizontally around the bottom, one tile width up (i think), to ensure you start from a level point all the way round. That’s what i’ve been told to do before, anyways.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t try and put the + shaped ones in the corners though

Does anyone ever do that? I assumed they were that shape so they could be pulled out once the adhesive has cured.

cardo

3mm ones… We’ve just finished a bathroom with same size tiles.

wwaswas

Does anyone ever do that?

Many years ago before they invented the internet with ‘how to’ websites 😳

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve done it too. Long time ago. And beer was involved.

johndoh
    Free Member

To be honest, I do remember my dad doing it once – it was a long time ago (probably about the time they were invented) and it looked rubbish – you could see them sticking out at various points and I assumed that was because he’d done it incorrectly.

petrieboy

i always thought i was bodging it by NOT putting them in the corners! every days a school day! so 3mm spacers and a batten around the bottom. any other tips while we are here?

johndoh
    Free Member

Some watered down PVA solution (50/50) on the wall before fixing really helps with adhesion.

Andy-R

petrieboy – Member
    3mm spacers and a batten around the bottom. any other tips while we are here?

Where you position the first full course on the walls might well depend on how they fit in with window sills, shower tray and ceiling etc.
    In other words, you want to arrange the tile courses so that you don’t end up with little unsightly in-fills at ceiling level, above the shower tray or below or above a window.
    You also need to think about the horizontal layout too, to ideally be symmetrical about a window reveal and also not end up with pissy little cuts in the corners.

Especially with large format tiles I like to (if possible) “fold” them around the corners (as if they were printed on wallpaper) – in other words if two thirds of the tile runs to the corner then the other third should be on the adjacent wall. You can’t always do this exactly, of course, but I like to try and at least achieve that look.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Don’t use PVA on the walls.
    If they need sealing/priming use Bal SBR or similar.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Make sure the adhesive you’re using is suitable for porcelain too, and it might be an idea to check the weight limit for the type of wall they’re going on as they’re large format?

vorlich
    Free Member

Took me hours to drill several holes in our tiles for the shower/shower screen/towel rad, I think they were porcelain. Got there in the end, slow and steady with a water spray to cool the bit/s. I epoxied the bog roll holder on as I couldn’t face doing any more. 😳

Andy-R

You want these –

vorlich
    Free Member

That’s what I had!

choppersquad
    Free Member

365 Porcedrill bits are good.
    Will always take a bit of time through porcelain but go slow and keep them well watered.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘tilers – what spacers for large wall tiles’ is closed to new replies.