Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • tightening cassette to 40nm by feel how tight is right?
  • moonboy
    Free Member

Recently picked up a new wheel set and now have the fear about overtightening the cassette – how tight is 40NM without shelling out for a torque wrench??

mrmo
    Free Member

do it tight, give it a few clicks, assuming your lock ring clicks. never had a problem using a 12″ adjustable to get it tight. never had it come loose either.

brant
    Free Member

40Nm is 4kg at the end of a 1m long bar, 8kg at the end of a half metre bar, 16kg at the end of a 25cm spanner.

Tight “then a few clicks” as MrMo says.

Think about the forces on your freewheel retaining nut. It’s nothing much. What you’re really doing is loading it so it doesn’t precess cyclicly past the notches and wind itself off.

moonboy
    Free Member

few clicks it is!

thanks chaps 🙂

scaredypants

Don’t be a pansy

BASTARD TIGHT !!!!!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Always thought 40Nm was a bit overkill for a cassette lock ring.

tonyd

Bit more, bit more, touch more, that should do it!

Freester

Gorilla tight. HTH

cynic-al
    Free Member

few clicks all that’s needed.

bren2709

Tights tight and too tights f*ked!

ampthill

It needs to be really tight to prevent movement between the casette and free hub. Its not just a decoration.

Would be weird if the the recomended torque asetting was wrong.

Even od a 12 inch spanner its a fair bit of force

damo2576
    Free Member

40Nm is 4kg at the end of a 1m long bar, 8kg at the end of a half metre bar, 16kg at the end of a 25cm spanner.

Assuming gravity at 10m/s2 in that example.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I use my Torque Wrist™ to Nip It Up then rest wheel on floor and apply whatever 15+ stone is, bending from the waist, to the end of my 10″ adjustable spanner, works out at.
    Nothing loose, or broken…. Yet 😉

jmason
    Free Member

I’ve done the few clicks thing before, only to have the cassete start wobbling around after a few miles. 40nm is really bloody tight (and probably overkill) just make sure it feels nice and tight.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Steel freehub = bastard tight
    Aluminium freehub = just a few clicks

cynic-al
    Free Member

damo2576 – Member
    Assuming gravity at 10m/s2 in that example.

You missed out the assumption that the force is radial. And you thought he might fix his bikes on another planet?

FAIL!

chives
    Free Member

Or just get yourself a torque wrench.

toys19
    Free Member

You missed out the assumption that the force is radial. And you thought he might fix his bikes on another planet?

FAIL!

You missed out the difference between an engineer and a physicist. 10 is accepted as near enough the world over. And when you apply the force with your hand you constantly readjust your grip to keep the force tangenital, otherwise you would never be able to do a nut up. And the force at any tangent to the circle x the distance is the torque, see if you Al can define the vector of your radial force?

ampthill

Do you really do Al freehabs less tight?

Thats probably why they get scored and damaged

Nit that such a think has ever graced my bike….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘tightening cassette to 40nm by feel how tight is right?’ is closed to new replies.