Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tight tyres!
  • woody2000

Trying to get some bontrager xr4 tyres on to some flow ex rims and I can’t even get one bead on. Never had this before, really struggling. Anyone got any top tips? Would heating the bead help or is that a bad idea!?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had same issue a couple of years back, same rim and tyres, I gave up and sent them back.

I could’ve persevered and eventually got them on, but bugger trying to fix a puncture in January with them that tight.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

do you know about the groove in the centre of the rim? Just in case you don’t look for a groove or a depression in the centre of the rim, get the bead on the opposite side to where you’re trying to get the last few inches on in that groove and that should give you a additional extra few mm you need to get the bead on. Will still be tight but doable.

Since I learned this it’s been much easier.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody2000

Balls, don’t really want to send them back as they look like a decent tyre at a reasonable weight. Might whip out the Mrs’ hairdryer and see if some gentle heat will get it moving.

woody2000

Wobbliscot – I have been trying that, but no dice. Will try again though!

alzore
    Free Member

I have managed to do it a while back, as above make sure the tyre is in the center of the rim. Perseverance, strong thumbs and sturdy tyre levers… Not much help but confirming it can be done… 😉

jam-bo

Trying to fit 26” on 27.5” rims?

woody2000

Jambo – it did cross my mind, but unless it’s mislabelled it’s the right size 😉

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Stick with it – XR4s are great tyres imo.

I have a pair of leathery type workman’s gloves for fitting tyres. Means I can really wrestle with the tyres without hurting my hands.

scotroutes

Tubes or tubeless?

What rim tape?

Are you starting opposite the valve and working towards it?

Do you have a bench or something similar you can use while fitting them?

XR4s are great, stick with it.

ajantom

Stan’s rims tend to be a bugger fit wise – think they’re slightly over sized to get a good tight seal with non-tubeless tyres.

Arch EXs with WTB tyres were almost impossible.

On the other hand Flow EXs with WTB tyres that had been used (so loosened off a bit) were fine.

I fitted some XR4s on to WTB i25 rims last week and they went on very easily!

mulv1976
    Free Member

Get one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/crank-brothers-tool-speedier-lever/rp-prod85981

Had horrendous trouble getting WTB tyres on and off, snapped levers, pinched tubes and eventually gave up. This device got them on first time.

Simon

Jase, I’ve just fitted XR4s to my new Hope Enduro wheels. They were fairly tight, I had to use a lever to get the first bead on.

woody2000

Tubeless with gorilla tape. I’m now thinking I might mount them onto another rim with a tube and stretch (?) them a bit first. That lever is worth a look too 🙂

Si – fairly tight would be a massive understatement! 😉

martinhutch

Must admit, Xr4/3/2 onto Arch Ex tested my patience.

TBH though, it improved my lever/fitting technique no end. Fitted a new XR3 straight out of the wrapper last week and it was far less bother, despite being no slacker than the last one.

I use Park Tool levers. Snapped about five other ones getting the first set on, and properly mangled my rim decals.

Top tip. Heat it on a radiator for a couple of hours, then sneak up on it while it’s asleep. 😀

scotroutes

Proper Stans tape is thin and shiny. That makes quite a difference.

My favoured technique is as follows;

Hold the wheel horizontal, valve furthest from you.
    Jam the freewheel/cassette against the edge of a work bench.
    Install the bit of bead nearest you and press against it with your stomach. This should mean you now have two free hands.
    Work the bead into the well of the rim, starting at your stomach and going evenly round with both hands, pushing all the “slack” towards the valve.
    It will now pop on with thumb pressure, no tools required.

shakers97
    Free Member

Use washing up liquid

andy4d

My xr4 were a bugger to get onto my mavic rims. After a good fight they went on 😳 but the rear has a fair wobble to it now. Not sure if I damaged/stretched it getting them on or if it is faulty. That said I cannot be arsed trying to get them off again. Hope I never get a flat cos they ain’t coming off trailside. Any suggestions to removing the wobble on the tyre that does not involve removing a tyre 😀 ?

ransos
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use them. A trailside repair in the cold and dark will be a complete PITA.

woody2000

2 man job but got there in the end with tyre levers and persistence! Went up and seated nicely with just a track pump, no washing up liquid etc needed 🙂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Andy I expect that it isn’t seated , Bonty Tyres can be difficult . Pump them up to 80 psi if you dare or until you hear the bead snap into position . Sometimes 60psi left over night will get it to seat .

belugabob
    Free Member

Another useful tool, for tight tyres is this bad boy

It does, as mentioned above, lead to the “how do I get the tyre off, whilst out on the trails?” question.

+1 for the wobbly tyre being due to it not being seated in the rim properly. There should be a tiny line moulded into the rubber, that should be just visible above the rim, when seated properly. If any part of this line dips out of sight, a bit more pressure should pop things into place.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tight tyres!’ is closed to new replies.