• This topic has 92 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by AdamW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Tight squeeze at deep cave!
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

😯

Anyone suffer from claustrophobia?

“but cheeks are almost through” LOL

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=175&v=FAY-t32vyds[/video]

11:01 + 5.00 do not want

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Nope.

There’s is not much in this world I don’t think I would do with a gun to my head. Potholing and the like, I would take the bullet first. It’s less the claustrophobia, and more the freaking out and getting stuck.

Edit: Oh, that video wasn’t too bad, was expecting something like:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ybTeFW9ik[/video]

fasthaggis

Needs some help

sandwicheater

Nope nope nope nope.

Friends dad was telling me he got himself so stuck once in a narrow gap while caving in Iceland and the only option was for him to stay stuck for a few hours and fall asleep. Supposedly the wriggling/movement had caused him to get agitated/pumped and swell slightly. By falling asleep his body calmed down a tad and when he woke up he wriggled free.

Mentalist.

Cougar

The first bit of that made me nauseous. Going in isn’t all that bad (mentally for me), but getting out that way, no ta.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I did stuff like that when I was 10. Arse rubbing ceiling, squirming on my belly, arms stuck out infront, with a lighter. Not knowing whether it would open up again. Two other kids behind. Setting fire to each others trousers to add a bit of excitement.

We did it dozens of times. Now I can’t watch films involving caves.

The caves (old mine workings) run under Cranham woods if you fancy it 😀

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@bongohoohaa how about a bit of water thrown in? 😯

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_aMAlAaeU[/video]

jon1973
    Free Member

not my idea of fun

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I can’t even watch the videos all the way through. If I ever did potholing (which isn’t bloody likely) the only way they’d get me out is by dragging my cold dead body after I’d have had a proper freak out and got properly stuck.

I suppose there’s always ‘extraction via defecation’ as I’d probably crap myself soon much I’d probably end up a few inches thinner!

lowey

**Shudders**

Makes me queezy just watching the videos. Potholing for me holds all the attraction of exploring someone else’s nostril with my index finger.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

@bongohoohaa how about a bit of water thrown in?

imnotverygood

If anyone remembers reading ‘The Weirdstone of Brisingamen’ as a kid: the bit where they escape crawling through the tunnels always gave me the creeps, even if I don’t think I am particularly claustrophobic.

antigee

old enough to remember winter afternoons at weekends when the pubs closed (was the law) – so after a lunchtime session a classic pot needed doing to ensure a good laugh before evening opening – coming from a climbing background I never got the mentalist single rusty anchor bolt makes it more fun thing

welshfarmer

I could tell you some stories to make your toes curl. Although semi retired (just in the Cave Rescue these days), I was once a pretty hard-core caver. Spent years exploring some of the longest and deepest caves in the Alps (including that one where Joachim was rescued from last year). On one of my last trips into a new system in the Alps I had such a traumatic time on a squeeze, being only the second (and largest) person ever to go through, that I don’t think I have ever properly mentally recovered from it. Imagine lying on you belly in a8-9 inch high tube, half filled with 1 degree C water, blowing an icy hurricane, while dragging a full sac of gear behind. The rock is pressing down on you and small pebbles are rolling under you chest making it even tighter. Worst part is you have NO idea how far it continues or even if it gets tighter before enlarging. Not only that, it is also only the only way back out again! Jeez, I had to dig deep into my mental reserves that day and I am pretty sure I have lost my nerve in tight squeezes since.

iainc

^^^^just reading that last post makes me feel anxious …

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Imagine lying on you belly in a8-9 inch high tube, half filled with 1 degree C water, blowing an icy hurricane, while dragging a full sac of gear behind.

You forgot to mention your giant set of balls, which I imagine must have chaffed as you pulled them through.

ton

I would rather ride a fatbike than go potholing. 😀

JAG

‘The Weirdstone of Brisingamen’

I’d completely forgotten that book until now 🙂 When they have to squeeze through a water sump, not knowing if it comes out into air on the otherside, gave me the willies when I was a kid.

Strangley I have been down a couple of caves in/around Cheddar Gorge – Goatchurch Cavern and another that I can’t remember the name.

A friend of mine is really into it and took us down a couple of “beginners” caves in the area. I enjoyed what we did but I won’t be doing any more Thanks 8)

legend
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    ^^^^just reading that last post makes me feel anxious …

**** right it does 😯

Had a go at potholing a few years ago just to see if I could do it. Didn’t have too much of a problem but that was doing stuff that many many people have done before so I knew it was ok (and the squeezes would be short). The idea of not having full details freaks the shit out of me!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Nope to all of the above

weeble
    Free Member

Done quite a bit of pot holing before, couldn’t even bear the thought of it now.

Cave diving is another step up.

[video]https://youtu.be/1f6kKsRrE2g[/video] (Excuse the bad soundtrack)

martinhutch

I would rather ride a fatbike than go potholing.

Never mind that. I’d rather go to Dalby. And pay to park there. 😀

My heartrate actually rises watching some of those clips. Compared to Rock Climbing, even easy caving is something I’d never contemplate doing.

welshfarmer

Haha, found some pics…

me surveying new passageway in the Alps

And a mate digging some gravel out of the start of the squeeze described above before I went through it

And some of the ice formations in the big chamber of the system we were mapping

retro83
    Free Member

I always thought I’d be okay at pot holing, until I went on a team building caving exercise thingy and some cocky twart insisted on going first and got stuck on the way out.
    This meant I was stuck midway through a squeezey bit unable to straighten my head up and in pitch darkness for what seemed like about 2 hours but was probably about 2 mins. Closest I’ve come to crying since watching the beginning of ‘Up’ (I’m emotionally dead inside)

The stories above gave me sweaty palms 😯

PiknMix
    Free Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That’s is all.

johnx2
    Free Member

I would rather ride a fatbike than go potholing.

[quote]
    Never mind that. I’d rather go to Dalby.[/quote]

Yeah. But at least potholing’s a proper underground sport…

Sorry. I’m so so sorry.

JulianA
    Free Member

My first thought was ‘why’, but then I recalled some of my caving trips and I got it. Because you could…

The Long Crawl in DYO, Dim Dwr in OFD, The Lobster Pot in Sidcot Swallet and the entrance to Daren Cilau all spring to mind. Mix in some water and Swildons Sump One was pretty good fun too…!

For a little vertical fun try the entrance rift in St Cuthbert’s.

Then there were the caving games – crawling through the back of a chair, circumnavigating a table without touching the floor… Quite a lot of alcohol was involved. All played in caving huts after the pubs shut. Then there was crockery cricket.

Never play sofa rugby against a women’s team. I’m saying no more.

Always wanted to to do some cave diving – I’ve dived underground but not without a surface but got no further than that.

Ex BEC member…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I couldn’t watch that first video, so I didn’t even click on the others.
    I think I may have nightmares tonight…

CountZero

If anyone remembers reading ‘The Weirdstone of Brisingamen’ as a kid: the bit where they escape crawling through the tunnels always gave me the creeps, even if I don’t think I am particularly claustrophobic.

Yup, The dwarve mines through Fundindelve. Read it as an adult, just thinking about it now gives me a dose of the horrors. I can’t bring myself to watch any of those videos, those photos above I had to skip past.
    I’m not claustrophobic in that I can’t bear to be shut in a small space, it’s the trapped in complete confinement, stuck tight in a very tight space has me almost hyperventilating even thinking about it.
    There’s no inducement that would encourage me to go potholing, especially if it involved tight sqeezes, or even worse, a sump, like Swildens.
    Hear that clucking sound? That’s me, that is…

JulianA
    Free Member

Swildon’s One is a pussycat. Google for ‘Swildons Sumps’ for the rather less user-friendly ones! And Four used to be full of large red worms as it was underneath a cow shed. There wasn’t a place called Cowsh Aven for no reason!

welshfarmer

Ah, the happy memories of nights in the Belfry 🙂

Games like… How long could you sit on the top of the log burner, spinning the table on your back (it was about 15 feet long and weighed at least 150 kilos. The room was about 16 feet wide!), feet-first up the wall ladder and into the loft, happy days. Swildons short round was alwys one of my faves down there. Kind of made the trip back through sump one bearable, coming after all the other muddy ducks and knowing it was the last difficulty on the way out.

pk13

Just looking at the still shots gives me the terrors.

househusband

I would rather ride a fatbike than go potholing. 😀

I would rather get ridden by Ton than go potholing again.

Tried it once about 15yrs ago and I have seldom been so relieved to have felt fresh air and rain on my face once back out.

JAG

The Lobster Pot in Sidcot Swallet

That’s the other cave I went in – Sidcot Swallet (see my earlier post). The Lobster pot was a tight squeeze but I found that the big space either side of the small, tight squeeze made it tolerable.

Once I was out I could hardly believe I went in. My wife came in with us and she took a load of photo’s – looking at some of them now I’m amazed at what we did.

chip
    Free Member

I start to panic when I struggle to free myself from a wet t-shirt.

So sod that!

JulianA
    Free Member

@welshfarmer – we must have met sometime! When were you at the Belfry? Do you remember Jingles?

cardo

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen … proper childhood flashback…

Its a no from me for squeezing through holes and having a bit of a panic attack when your are 6ft 2″

Ambrose

Julian, WelshFarmer- have we met? We’ve certainly been to some of the same places. I’m very local to Llygad Llwychwr where free diving the sumps gave me a proper buzz. Problem is I’m 6’4″ so crawls are a right pain for me. Straight squeezes don’t worry me at all but the crawls like Blue Pencil Passage, Long Crawl, Even Bluddy Longer Crawl etc were a bit wearisome. As for Cowsh’Aven- shlt and slurry drooling down the wall, filled with bloodworms did make me think a bit.

Mrs Ambrose has banned me from these things nowadays after I was caught looking at the prices of bottles and regulators. They say there are only two types of cave-divers. Good ones and dead ones. Sadly, I’ve known both :(.

At the end of the day though, a good vertical trip, especially if it’s a pull through with a lot of water really got me going. Unless I had to pass a knot when abbing. That is always thought provoking!

JulianA
    Free Member

Ambrose – possibly! We’ve certain been through some of the places you describe. I think Blue Pecil Passage is well named – the last bit over the stream passage is certainly sporting!

MrsJulianA has tried caving – to her eternal credit – but hated it! Swildons, OFD I.

Sometimes I have a hankering to go again – like now, after a couple of glasses of wine – but we prefer three or four star hotels on the continent together to -four star caving huts apart!

At least my vodka consumption has ceased along with my caving days. Would still like to try cave diving though… Although a flight in a local Yak 52 is a much more appealing and likely prospect now!

JulianA
    Free Member

Ambrose – which cave divers? I had the misfortune to cave with someone from SWC whom I didnt like but Gavin Newman was ok. I did meet a guy called Clive who was pretty unassuming – and a very experienced cave diver!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Tight squeeze at deep cave!’ is closed to new replies.