• This topic has 63 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hels.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Tie – Mandatory for Job Interview?
  • rustler
    Free Member

Wear a tie yer scruff bag.

rickmeister

Not comfy in a tie on the day ? Wear one for the week before the interview and it wont stand out so much…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I interview for this type of role.

I’m amazed when graduate software developers turn up for interviews not wearing a tie, never mind someone who I might have to put in front of the board or a customer.

Not helpful to the OP at all, but really? I know quite a few folk who perform interviews for graduate and upward devs and none of them would expect you to wear a tie, in the case of one he didn’t even expect a suit so long as you wear smart. And that’s across a range of companies from huge multi nationals to small start ups.

trailertrash

A bad tie at half mast is worse than no tie worn with confidence. A shit tie is off-putting. A bad suit is a bad sign. The shakes is bad. It’s best to wear what makes you feel confident if it looks good. If it doesn’t look good and you still feel confident you’re probably a bit weird.

manvstarmac

I interview for managers, customer facing sales staff, and admin staff, and now make it clear to interviewees that we don’t wear suits to work and therefore don’t expect them to wear them to interviews.

How does this help the OP? Not sure it does, but I guess he hasn’t been explicitly given a dress code for the interview. Could perhaps ask though.

poly
    Free Member

Not helpful to the OP at all, but really? I know quite a few folk who perform interviews for graduate and upward devs and none of them would expect you to wear a tie, in the case of one he didn’t even expect a suit so long as you wear smart. And that’s across a range of companies from huge multi nationals to small start ups.

I’d say 50% of grads don’t wear a tie (and most don’t wear a suit if they don’t wear a tie). I’ve hired all sorts of roles and positions in the last 15 years. Software / IT people are the only ones who don’t bother to dress up for an interview.

jamj1974

jamj1974 – Member
    I generally go light blue shirt and dark blue tie for interviews with a mid grey or navy suit.

Although sometimes I just wear the tie…

batfink
    Free Member

Everyone’s got an opinion…. but it’s only the opinion of the person interviewing you that matters. I interview for PMs (different industry) regularly, and it wouldn’t bother me whether you wore a tie or not, but my colleague wears a suit and tie to work every day. If you got him instead of me, you might be disadvantaged

Wearing a tie will either have a positive effect or none.
    Not wearing a tie will either have a negative effect or none.

You would be mad not to wear a tie.

Edric64
    Free Member

If you do wear a tie do a proper Windsor knot it looks better than a schoolboy knot !!

jamj1974

I go half-Windsor myself. It’s a lot easier for the cack-handed like me!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you are not wearing a tie then you run the risk that the interviewers first thought will be “he’s not wearing a tie”…

scaled
    Free Member

Wearing a tie errs on the side of caution, which shows good judgement, especially when you’re interviewing for a PM role.

You might be one of those people that turns up to a project kick off in an Iron Maiden t-shirt, not wearing a tie to an interview could be an indicator of that 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wearing a tie will either have a positive effect or none.
    Not wearing a tie will either have a negative effect or none.

This all the way, part of like is just getting on and conforming a little, it’s about showing you know how to handle a situation.

tomd
    Free Member

I guess in this job there is the potential for you to have to go meet clients and things like that. So even if the office dress code doesn’t require ties it’s probably worth showing you’re capable of dressing in business standard attire, if the need arises.

footflaps

You might be one of those people that turns up to a project kick off in an Iron Maiden t-shirt, not wearing a tie to an interview could be an indicator of that

Have we worked together?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I remove piercings, wear a tie, control my language and temper and even shave for interviews.

Recruitment is like a box of chocolates. You can spend ages studying the options but still end up with something unpleasant that smalls of coffee. 😈

richmtb

Chances of negative impact on your interview of wearing a tie = Zero

Chances of negative impact on your interview of not wearing a tie = Small but significant

Ergo

Wear a tie

kcal

as above really, I might turn up for an interview wearing sports jacket, chinos and shirt – but that’d be rare. Maybe client meetings later.

I’d go for a nice suit, good fitting shirt and straight tie. Might need to wear it a couple times to look comfortable in it; so you don’t look out of sorts.. FWIW my interview suit is a very nice Ted Baker suit, shirt & tie combo paid for by DSS 🙂

beefheart
    Free Member

Just get one of these.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Full Windsor – royalty or a spiv. Don’t take the risk.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

even shave for interviews.

woooooah steady on, we’re talking to someone who can’t be arsed wearing a tie here.

footflaps

FWIW my interview suit is a very nice Ted Baker suit,

I do like Ted Baker stuff, my wedding suit came from there.

lunge

Yes to the tie, echoing what is above many times, wearing a tie will not be seen negatively, not wearing one might do.

And get your shoes polished as well, nothing ruins a look more than a pair of dirty shoes.

hels
    Free Member

Are you a man or a woman ? if you are a woman, I wouldn’t bother with the tie. Just wear something short and tight and insinuate that you are a bit of a goer.

But seriously, it is more about the organisation. Do some research. Wear a tie, if you get there (the standard 15 mins early) and everyone is wandering about in jandals and board shorts, you can nip to the loo and take it off.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Tie – Mandatory for Job Interview?’ is closed to new replies.